Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Balancing tires

Spyder Garage

Default Balancing tires

New to Can Am . I recently purchased a 2019 Spyder RTL. I have read the forum over the last couple of weeks and I have noticed that there is a pretty negative feeling toward the stock tires
    I looked at tires and wheels and noticed that one of my front tires has balance weights around 1/2 of the tire rim. I had not seen that extreme on Harley’s.
    I asked my service manager about the tires and if he has problems balancing them.
    His response was they have no problems with stock tires and when they install them they switch to dyno beads for balancing. (Never used these before)
    Your thoughts please

Spyder Garage

I'm running a 2018 RTL and went the car tire route after being unable to balance one of my front tires. My belief is the standard Kenda tire brand is perfectly suitable for a wheelbarrow, but not much more. I chose a good car tire because they are more likely to have good manufacturing tolerance resulting in less weights per tire. I also avoided putting anything inside the tire because once you do that it is impossible to do anything but that, I.E. spin and static balance will no longer work. I used a static balance shaft from Marc Parnes and added some of those Centramatic Dynamic Balance rings that Lamonster sells and I must say mine is smooth as it can be.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

My thoughts?? Maybe you should try to find a dealer with a service manager who has either already worked with/on Spyders so he knows, cos that one obviously hasn't/doesn't; or find one who doesn't bull**** quite so much!

While they have become marginally better over recent years, the OE Kendas are widely recognised by USERS as being, at best, 'quite problematic', even if BRP & their 'always toe the corporate line' dealers/service managers try to sweep this most significant of issues under the carpet of 'ignore it long enough & maybe it'll go away'?!

That said, IF your OE tires and rims are true & CAN be balanced properly (sadly, many OE Spyder tires &/or rims aren't &/or can't! ) your local car tire fitters should be able to balance the fronts, altho they (or you?!?) might need to source some smaller dia collet fittings to suit their balancing machines. Or you could simply swap out the Kendas for just about any reasonable car tire, confident in knowing that it's going to work better & likely balance waaay more readily with less effort &/or weights!

Altho maybe I'm just a little biased against running crap tires on MY Spyder?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    I'm running a 2018 RTL and went the car tire route after being unable to balance one of my front tires. My belief is the standard Kenda tire brand is perfectly suitable for a wheelbarrow, but not much more. I chose a good car tire because they are more likely to have good manufacturing tolerance resulting in less weights per tire. I also avoided putting anything inside the tire because once you do that it is impossible to do anything but that, I.E. spin and static balance will no longer work. I used a static balance shaft from Marc Parnes and added some of those Centramatic Dynamic Balance rings that Lamonster sells and I must say mine is smooth as it can be.
    Plus 1 on the Marc Parnes balance. When I rotate my front tires I can easily recheck the balance. Last time I did have to rebalance by 1/2 oz. One of the fronts.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default balancing tires

, 200% with the previous answers ….. Sorry BRP, the Kenda's have the worst record for DEFECTIVE tires than any other major manufacturer of tires, that I have ever heard of ……. Mike

Spyder Garage

If you want to use balancing beads, Counteract beads are not abrasive and kinder to the insides of tires. Dyna Beads are ceramic and a bit abrasive leading to a fine black dust inside the tires.
    Others here have posted that your tires should be balanced conventionally with metal weights before adding beads. Makes sense to me.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    , 200% with the previous answers ….. Sorry BRP, the Kenda's have the worst record for DEFECTIVE tires than any other major manufacturer of tires, that I have ever heard of ……. Mike
    You don't have to be sorry Mike. BRP knows exactly what they're putting out on the market. In their world (as with many others) it all comes down to lowest bid gets the orders.

Spyder Garage

That certainly sounds like a lot of weight.

Our Spyder when new had a vibration. Since I have a wheel balancer, I removed both fronts and dynamically balanced them. The stock Kenda tires after balancing had about 12,000 miles on them with no issues and likely could have gone more. I did replace them with Federal Fomosa tires. The Spyder had an issue pulling to one side. Brake discs, brake pads, and tires were all suspects.

I will say though, that for us, the quality of riding the Spyder improved, first with the installation of the Yokohama s.Drive in the back, and truly was complimented by the Federals on the front. I run 20 psi in all three tires now.

Myself I would avoid beads in the rear and beads in the fronts. By the sound of it, your fronts should be properly balanced on good equipment by a trained and qualified person. Regarding the rear tire balance. Our original Kenda had a lot of weight on it. When I installed the Yokohama, I checked the initial balance by placing the axle through the hub, and using two jackstands to static balance it. Unfortunately, the rear does not fit my dynamic balancer. After initial static balance, I added the correct Ride On material for fine balancing and have had no issues. Since the rear is a design where the axle is supported on both ends and the wheel is not able to steering, there is essentially no means to induce a shimmy from imbalance as you could in the fronts.

Entirely your call in regards to what you do. Not sure which dealer you used, but maybe speak with them. Ultimately though, I suspect you will remove the wheels yourself, bring them to a good automotive tire shop for rebalancing. Then reinstall yourself.

Spyder Garage

I have the Centramatics. I feel that they are far superior to Dynabeads since they are reusable when it's time to change tires. My 15 RTL rides extremely smoothly.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

road force balance corrects most problems or at the minimum identifies them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Plus 1 on the Marc Parnes balance. When I rotate my front tires I can easily recheck the balance. Last time I did have to rebalance by 1/2 oz. One of the fronts.
    Which Marc Parnes product are you using?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    road force balance corrects most problems or at the minimum identifies them.
    Thanks for mentioning this method. I looked it up to find what it is and got a good exploitation from a video Motorweek did. Also got locations around me that do it. When i need tires, that's the way I'm going. An amazing system.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Formerharleyrider View Post
    New to Can Am . I recently purchased a 2019 Spyder RTL. I have read the forum over the last couple of weeks and I have noticed that there is a pretty negative feeling toward the stock tires
    I looked at tires and wheels and noticed that one of my front tires has balance weights around 1/2 of the tire rim. I had not seen that extreme on Harley’s.
    I asked my service manager about the tires and if he has problems balancing them.
    His response was they have no problems with stock tires and when they install them they switch to dyno beads for balancing. (Never used these before)
    Your thoughts please
    A service department that uses dyna beads to balance tires is doing so because they are too cheap to purchase the equipment to do the job right. I would not use that dealer for tires. I cannot count the number of times we have removed tires and the dyna beads were clumped and CAUSING the imbalance and shaking. Nope, balance tires correctly on a spin balance machine or don't do tires at all.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I cannot count the number of times we have removed tires and the dyna beads were clumped and CAUSING the imbalance and shaking.
    I believe the clumpimg comes from using a compressor that has water in it. I know that's what caused mine.
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wingit3611 View Post
    I cannot count the number of times we have removed tires and the dyna beads were clumped and CAUSING the imbalance and shaking.
    I believe the clumpimg comes from using a compressor that has water in it. I know that's what caused mine.
    That would be most every gas station and home compressor out there. VERY few have dryers.
    In fairness it can be caused by tire mounting lube as well.
    Regardless, the clumping is a very common problem with dyna beads and why we do not use them.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Which Marc Parnes product are you using?
    I worked with Marc on the shaft, be has a new design that fits my 2018 RTL. It works great combined with the Centramatic balance rings, and is not expensive. It also fits the rear.
    Front_New Spyder Cones (1) small.jpgFront_New Spyder Cones (2)small.jpg
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    A service department that uses dyna beads to balance tires is doing so because they are too cheap to purchase the equipment to do the job right. I would not use that dealer for tires. I cannot count the number of times we have removed tires and the dyna beads were clumped and CAUSING the imbalance and shaking. Nope, balance tires correctly on a spin balance machine or don't do tires at all.
    I agree with your statement.. after 50 plus years on Harley I never had a dealer not balance the tires correctly. With 3 weeks on my new can am I am discovering that I will need to be much more vigilant in finding a dealer that will do it right. Iwill search for a shop with the correct equipment. I am getting a laser alignment next week from a can am dealer who has the correct equipment
    I will find a place that does it right.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Counter Act beads dont clump up. In fact I used them on my rear tire .

Yeah the road force balance is all I use on all my vehicles.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Formerharleyrider View Post
    I agree with your statement.. after 50 plus years on Harley I never had a dealer not balance the tires correctly. With 3 weeks on my new can am I am discovering that I will need to be much more vigilant in finding a dealer that will do it right. Iwill search for a shop with the correct equipment. I am getting a laser alignment next week from a can am dealer who has the correct equipment
    I will find a place that does it right.
    To be fair. The Kenda can be a difficult, if not impossible tire to balance. Many of them are not round. You cannot balance an out-of-round tire. I'm not defending dealerships necessarily. Just trying to put a bit of perspective in play on this one.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    I worked with Marc on the shaft, be has a new design that fits my 2018 RTL. It works great combined with the Centramatic balance rings, and is not expensive. It also fits the rear.
    Front_New Spyder Cones (1) small.jpgFront_New Spyder Cones (2)small.jpg
    How would I go about getting one of these? I don't see them listed on their site.

Spyder Garage

How would I go about getting one of these? I don't see them listed on their site.
    PM sent.
    h0gr1der

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Please share!

Spyder Garage

Hi Ron,

Give Marc a call at
    Call 714-842-9210

And tell him you are looking for his balancer for a Spyder.
    I had his balancer for my Harley and I called him to find out if he had cones to fit a Spyder. After a few tries ( cones and then differant cones, I ended up with ones that worked for the front as well as the rear, but my shaft was too short for the rear wheel. I call Marc again and he made me a longer shaft for the rear so now I now can do all three wheels. Well worth it!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

In the past with good results using the rear axle and two jackstands can accomplish static balancing the rear wheel,assembly.

The rear wheel is secured at both ends of the axle, and has no means to wobble or precess on account of imbalances. Between each side.

Static balancing front tires can work but can also be risky. Static balancing will accomplish balance in only one plane of the wheel assembly, the centerline of the rim. I dynamically balance our wheel assemblies and the machine indicates how much weight and where to place the weight along the rim flange. Doing this makes it the entire assembly balanced in both a vertical plane and simultaneously at the edge. This prevents wobbles or precession that is felt as a shimmy in the handgrips.

Narrow wheels are less likely to wobble and static balance can be acceptable. As wheels get wider, weight along the edge is more critical.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    That would be most every gas station and home compressor out there. VERY few have dryers.
    In fairness it can be caused by tire mounting lube as well.
    Regardless, the clumping is a very common problem with dyna beads and why we do not use them.
    If you want to use your home compressor to fill up the tire & are worried about moisture you can just attach a desiccant to the hose, i have it on
    my spray guns at work & on the road force balancers.