Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP drivers back rest

Hello, how hard is it to install a BRP drivers back rest on a 2015 RT Limited. Also it is off a 2015 RTS is it compatible. The seller told me is does not require any hardware. I called a local dealership and they told me I do. So I am not sure. Thanks.

2015 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rookiespyder View Post
    Hello, how hard is it to install a BRP drivers back rest on a 2015 RT Limited. Also it is off a 2015 RTS is it compatible. The seller told me is does not require any hardware. I called a local dealership and they told me I do. So I am not sure. Thanks.
    I definitely needed hardware on my 2016 RT. There is a bracket that bolts to the bottom of the seat that the backrest plus into.

These are the instructions for install:

http://instructions.brp.com/content/...mber=219400679

Neil
    2020 Harley Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2017 F3-T SE6 White / BRP Backrest / Nuvi 58 LM / Polaris Spring Spacers / CALSCI 22" Shield
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderNeil View Post
    I definitely needed hardware on my 2016 RT. There is a bracket that bolts to the bottom of the seat that the backrest plus into.

Neil
    Thanks for the install directions.

2015 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderNeil View Post

Neil
    How comfortable is it.

2015 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Yes there has to be a bracket bolted on the underside of the seat for the back rest to snap into and lock, maybe 3-4 bolts. This is a picture of the underside of my seat on a 2014 RT Limited. I would think that if is off of an RT it would work on your seat as long as the bracket is bolted on the underside of your seat, but I would check with a dealer first and ask. When I got my back rest it came with the bracket. I am trying to send pic but having trouble. Will send in a few.
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White
    2010 Can Am Spyder RT - Full Moon

Spyder Garage

If you have any lower back pain, it is a MUST. It's great.
    How comfortable is it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I transferred my backrest from my 2014 RT-L, onto my 2018 RT-L. You absolutely need that plate (and the four mounting screws) from the old seat that it was hooked to.
    Get the reake-adjustable bracket: it makes all of the difference in the World!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

He is what that bracket looks like under the seat.thumbnail.jpg

Spyder Garage

IMHO not very comfortable. Pushes too far foreword. I needed the adjustable backrest bracket and now have it dialed in for my comfort. Would not be without it......
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I've gone 3 1/2 years without a backrest but just recently popped for the Can-Am adjustable backrest for the Comfort Seat. Why spend so much more than a Utopia, I just didn't like its looks. As canamjhb said, out of the box I didn't like the way it pushed me forward, but have adjusted it to the point where very minor fine tuning may be all that's needed. One half turn on the adjusting bolt can make all the difference. I have minor scoliosis and, based on a 5K mile round trip to the Red Rocks rally, I believe the new backrest will be a help to my posture and may reduce the day-long fatigue of riding without one.

The part number for the adjustable baskrest support for the production seat that Bob mentioned is 219400683 and the instructions for installing it are here.
    http://instructions.brp.com/content/...0682,219400683
    Last edited by JayBros; 03-24-2018 at 07:55 AM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I have back problems because when riding I tend to "slouch". The backrest forces me to sit straight and it works great. I like the way it feels. There is a bracket that allows some adjustability but I have not bought it.
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

As long as both seats are either stock or comfort it will work, but they do not interchange

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good catch, Joe!

Spyder Garage

How comfortable is it.
    I have the adjustable version, and it is Very comfortable!

Neil
    2017 F3-T SE6 White / BRP Backrest / Nuvi 58 LM / Polaris Spring Spacers / CALSCI 22" Shield
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

I have a 2016 RT-S with the stock seat and stock driver backrest. It's comfortable but I have a problem swinging my leg over the backrest getting on or off the bike. Guess I'm getting old and not as flexible.

I fold the rest down getting on but it's an issue doing the same when getting off (folding it down under me). I also tried sliding my leg across in front of it but it's also not so easy.

Any suggestions on other techniques?? Thanks.

Dave

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KosherKid View Post
    I have a 2016 RT-S with the stock seat and stock driver backrest. It's comfortable but I have a problem swinging my leg over the backrest getting on or off the bike. Guess I'm getting old and not as flexible.

I fold the rest down getting on but it's an issue doing the same when getting off (folding it down under me). I also tried sliding my leg across in front of it but it's also not so easy.

Any suggestions on other techniques??
    Thanks.

Dave
    I don't have a backrest, but am strongly considering one. My concern is the same as yours.

Suggestion: When getting off, have you tried simply folding down the backrest, then "skootch" your butt onto the front of the passenger seat, and then lean back a bit and slide your leg over the driver seat/backrest? When I first got my F3 (but no backrest), that's how I got off the Spyder until I worked on my flexibility a bit.

Just a thought.
    Bert

Spyder Garage

I assume you dismount to the left to avoid the antenna. Step back onto the left passenger foot rest with left foot and then swing your right leg over the backrest.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KosherKid View Post

Any suggestions on other techniques?? Thanks.

Dave
    I put my left foot on the passenger footrest and then bring my right leg across the seat. The extra height makes it a lot easier.

Neil
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the advice. I do dismount to the left and tried reach back to fold the rest down. I'll try scooting back on to the passenger seat and use the passenger foot board next time I get to ride. I'm in Ohio and it's cold and wet for the next week AGAIN.

Thanks.
    Dave

Spyder Garage

How about water getting into the hole the back rest fits into?
    My local dealership discouraged me from getting one because they said that there's risk of the cushion getting wet and ruining the seat. Is it true?
    Julio Aburto

Black Currant 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited

2013 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yup...

If you run your bike through a car wash on a regular basis!

I'm throwing the B.S, flag...

(You CAN put the plug back in place; when the backrest has been removed...)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcaburto View Post
    My local dealership discouraged me from getting one because they said that there's risk of the cushion getting wet and ruining the seat. Is it true?

so your dealer is discouraging a customer from buying accessories which have high markups....interesting

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcaburto View Post
    Technically your dealer is partially correct. In reality he/she is full of you know what! In response to a direct question to BRP about getting an RT seat wet I was told the seat should be covered when riding in the rain or left out during rainy weather because over time water will seep in through the stitching and ruin the padding. After bring out the RT in MY 2010 they finally introduced a rain cover for the seat late last fall. It is PN 219400722, $99.99, and you can see it at this link: https://can-am.brp.com/spyder/search.html#q=219400722. The cover fits both the production and Comfort seat. In the picture at the link the line you see across the driver's lumbar support area is actually a water sealed zipper for a pouch that covers a driver backrest. The picture has obviously been Hollywood doctored to show the cover fitting like a glove which it does not do. The pictures below show the cover on my Comfort Seat with BRP adjustable driver backrest -- cover and backrest courtesy of my bride for Christmas. IMO, another inch or a bit more in the backrest pouch would make it fit better on the Comfort Seat. Yeah, one Ben Franklin for a seat rain cover is a gouge but it appears to be very well constructed and it beats a trash bag. Spyders on the Bayou will be the first test.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    so your dealer is discouraging a customer from buying accessories which have high markups....interesting
    My 2013 RT was in the shop for about a month being repaired after I was rear ended and the saddle was one of the items that needed to be changed. I asked the shop/dealer if they could upgrade it to a seat with the plug since mine doesn't have it. That way I could just buy the back rest. But their answer was "we don't recommend it, rain normally gets in and damages the cushion". I wish I had known about the rain cover then.
    Julio Aburto

Black Currant 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited

2013 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Default What's the Trick - If There Is One?

On my new (to me) 2014 RT-S stock seat, I removed the driver's backrest to see if I liked being without it. Now, I'm unable to get it to click back in place like the BRP video shows https://youtu.be/cEr9VS03Tjw. Is there a trick I'm missing?

Thanks!
    Last edited by jhcolo; 04-14-2018 at 08:54 AM.