Spyder Garage

Default Problem with 2018 RT digital display

Just went out to run my bike for a while (I live in Wisconsin so unfortunately it is in storage.) When I turned the key the display had nothing but horizontal colored lines! I turned off the key for a while and it was fine. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this? It's bad enough knowing I can't ride for a while, I sure don't want to have to worry about damage being stored
    By the way the temperature is just above freezing so it hasn't even started to get cold here.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MonPaul View Post
    Just went out to run my bike for a while (I live in Wisconsin so unfortunately it is in storage.) When I turned the key the display had nothing but horizontal colored lines! I turned off the key for a while and it was fine. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this? It's bad enough knowing I can't ride for a while, I sure don't want to have to worry about damage being stored
    By the way the temperature is just above freezing so it hasn't even started to get cold here.
    If you are concerned about damage during Storage ….. DON'T RUN THE ENGINE FOR SHORT PERIODS OF TIME ….. heating cold metal ( to less than max. temp. ) is going to cause CONDENSATION inside the engine ( and exhaust ) and this will shorten the life of it ….. jmho ….. good luck ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If you are concerned about damage during Storage ….. DON'T RUN THE ENGINE FOR SHORT PERIODS OF TIME ….. heating cold metal ( to less than max. temp. ) is going to cause CONDENSATION inside the engine ( and exhaust ) and this will shorten the life of it ….. jmho ….. good luck ….. Mike
    My son was doing that with his Harley and I told him the same thing.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Horizontal colored lines. Do you have it on a battery maintainer? If not, do that and come back in the spring after the salt is off the roads. As previously stated, don’t run it periodically. Does more harm than good. If you need a riding fix, watch YouTube videos about Harleys wrecking on the Dragon.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Absolutely!!

And if you are doing these 'short run' periods while your Spyder is in winter storage, be aware that unless you are running your engine at 'road speed revs' for at least about 30 minutes, it's doubtful you will have recharged the battery enough to simply replace what it took to start it, let alone keep it healthy!!

Starting & running your Spyder for short periods during winter storage is not good for it in sooo many ways!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

OK, thanks for the tips. I have always ran my bikes once or twice a month until the fan came on, I guess that was a mistake. This was the first time I started it since storage so I still don't understand the display.
    I will take a pic if I see it again.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

OK, thanks for the tips. I have always ran my bikes once or twice a month until the fan came on, I guess that was a mistake. This was the first time I started it since storage so I still don't understand the display.
    I will take a pic if I see it again.
    Again - are you using a battery maintainer? Goofy lines on the display, in all of the model years, is a typical symptom of a low battery.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Hey Paul, I have the same thing happen on my 2018. I believe it is temp related(cold). I let mine warm up for a few minutes, turned it off then waited a minutes and started. It cleared up. I think the LCD screen is cold and after it being powered on for a bit it warms up enough to reset. It did it in March and just a few weeks ago when moving it to storage. both 30 ish temp days.

Spyder Garage

Yes, I am using a new battery maintainer. The bike hasn't even been sitting that long so don't think that is the problem. The light was green and battery sounded fine.

Spyder Garage

My 2010 RT use to do this often with the horizontal colored lines on the dash. Believe my dash was eventually replaced under warranty. Not sure / can’t remember if it was for a different reason though.

Spyder Garage

Couldn't agree more. One of the great myths regarding winter storage is that of starting the engine every now and then. Condensation will certainly shorten the life of the engine and if the engine is not brought to operating temperature under a load (as in riding) condensation will occur. As a respected physicist once said, "The best thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it."

Other winter storage recommendations include filling the tank with fuel and adding fuel stabilizer. Additionally, if you don't already have one, buy a quality battery charger/maintainer and connect it to your battery. It isn't essential to remove the battery from the machine although there are those who do. Unless the temperature drops WAY below zero, a charged battery is unlikely to freeze.

We keep two bikes in an unheated garage in Maine over the winter and with the above precautions neither bike has suffered any damage and neither has failed to start with the first push of the starter button. These aren't necessarily the absolute definitive steps but they've worked well for us over a number of years of wicked Maine winters (that we avoid by moving back to our winter home in San Antonio). The Spyders stay in Texas 'cause there's a lot more good riding weather over the winter months than in Maine.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Yes, I am using a new battery maintainer. The bike hasn't even been sitting that long so don't think that is the problem. The light was green and battery sounded fine.
    OK, I'll bite. How does a fine battery sound? Sorry, the devil made me do it. No insult intended.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arion View Post
    OK, I'll bite. How does a fine battery sound? Sorry, the devil made me do it. No insult intended.
    The battery made the starter sound fine! .

Spyder Garage

Hi,

Not sure about the display issues. Never experienced that. I support the other commenters that a battery tender and at regular charge intervals is a good idea as we too in Ohio are experiencing the cold days chomping at the bit to get out and ride. This charging will help keep the battery at peak condition and thus maybe solve the display issue.

As for running the bike during the winter I’ll have to agree with the others that it is not a good idea. The temperature swings between heat-up and cool-down are too extreme and will cause damaging condensation. My philosophy is once it’s cold, keep it cold. The typical seasonal temperature swings won’t cause condensation. Good luck my friend!
    2019 RT Limited , Pheonix orange

Spyder Garage

My 2019 Rt is doing the the same thing when cold. Dealer thinks it needs either a software update or possible display replacement. Have to take it in later.

Spyder Garage

Let me know what happens, to me it doesn't make sense that a software update would be a fix for a cold weather problem but who knows? My bike was only sitting for 2-3 weeks with a maintainer on it so the battery was fine.