Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Any change in infrastructure is going to be a PITA, whether it's electric, hydrogen or something we haven't thought of; it's taken a long time to get where we are with gas stations. Interchangeable battery packs is the simplest method as long as all vehicles use the same cells. If you truck takes 5, and an eco box only two, they you'd pay more for them just like you pay more for gas in the bigger vehicle. The station then only needs to keep one kind of cell on hand. The batteries would need to be dated so they'd know when the life span was starting to drop off, but I also think the charging system would be able to tell the condition of the cells.

Stations out in the middle of the desert could take advantage of lots of open space and sun to use solar for at least part of their charging system.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here in Aus we are seeing the number of recharge stations grow weekly across the state. Many new Gov't buildings like convention centres include free parking and recharge for electric vehicles, and reserve a percentage of parking spaces for EV's. We also have some accommodation venues who include a free recharge at their venues (helped by the Automobile Association) as well as community owned recharge stations in towns. This has happened even with our Gov't opposing them.
    (Late edit - our Autmobile association has fast charge stations that can recharge a car in 40 mins, the time we'd spend at a town for lunch on a trip)

Battery performance is increasing and there are technologies the oil companies bought from the developers and are sitting on in the same way they did for engine technologies. If they release some of them we'd see battery life improve, plus the large scale battery systems used to balance state power grids will help spin off further improvement - in the same way F1 car tech filters down to mum and dads urban runabout.

I work in IT so its no different to other technologies. It will mature very quickly and arrive at a point where a technology will become the standard. We are developing transport under the IT law called Moores Law where performance and other related areas will double in performance every two years.

I look forward to self driving cars for the stretches of road that bore me to tears, or those so congested they drive me to frustration, I'll sit back read a bike mag, or a good book, call a mate for a chat and take over during the good bits.

BUT I can't see that for my motorcycling enjoyment. I am not interested in a computer enjoying the Great Ocean Road, that experience is reserved for me
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Can-Am has teased an electric drivetrain for years.
    I’ve always thought that they had an an advantage in range and performance because of the reverse trike layout.
    I think what is driving interest in electric drivetrains now is the free recharging.

Here is a more recent teaser:
    https://insideevs.com/news/329750/el...-of-105-miles/

-Y

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

106 miles on the teaser EV three wheel m/c. Look, these EV magicians will have to develop something way better, plug and go, flash charge, or something to get riders even interested, that's reality folks. Seems to me a hybrid of sorts that would regenerate the battery pack would work. Maybe that's too complicated!!