Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP going electric?

Dunno if this has been posted somewhere else but the following may be interesting for green inclined riders:

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/3...eler-concepts/

Cheers,
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

This information appears to be new. Time will tell. And for now, not me.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    And for now, not me.
    Same here.

Spyder Garage

An electric vehicle isn't often environmental sound. I read a dust to rust comparison between a Prius and a Hummer. The Hummer was way more environmentally friendly.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    An electric vehicle isn't often environmental sound. I read a dust to rust comparison between a Prius and a Hummer. The Hummer was way more environmentally friendly.
    That's kind of like the comparison, for a 100 mile trip, between a young man on a bicycle vs. an old geezer in a Buick I heard about years ago. Taking all factors into consideration, like the environmental cost of raising the beef the bicyclist used for his energy source, the Buick had less environmental impact!

The most environmentally friendly fuel source is hydrogen derived from water using solar electricity. The water created by the combustion of the H2 replaces the water used to split the molecules in the first place. The heat from the combustion replaces the solar energy that was captured to generate the electricity for the hydrolysis which otherwise would have degraded to heat when the earth absorbed the sunlight.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I agree with you about Hydrogen, but it lacks infrastructure. That is going to be a tough proposition as installing hydrogen in an existing gas station is so expensive, most operators are going to pass on it. That's already happening.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That is going to be a tough proposition as installing hydrogen in an existing gas station is so expensive, most operators are going to pass on it. That's already happening.
    And of course, the image of the Hindenberg flames will live for decades to come. But I'm not going to get worked up about it. I'm quite sure my body, and those of my children and grandchildren, will be long rotted by the time the eventual environmental crash comes! In the end Mother Nature is going to win anyway!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Been driving an electric car for more than 3 years now, and I wouldn't go back.

It's not only a question of environmental matter (which is important of course), electric motors make combustion engines look like something of the past.

Mainly, EVs convert about 59%–62% of the electrical energy from the grid to power at the wheels.
    Conventional gasoline vehicles only convert about 17%–21% of the energy stored in gasoline to power at the wheels...

All but benefits: https://fortune.com/2015/11/17/elect...h-gas-engines/

So I would say, well done BRP, that's the way to go.
    2018 F3S , Monolith Black Satin

Spyder Garage

Interesting. Would not work for me... when I ride (or drive) it is often 500-600 km or more in a day, and I highly doubt that the technology for the bike/ ryde will get me those kind of numbers anytime soon. Even for electric cars in the north country, the infrastucture is really just beginning to be there for recharging along the way... a few hotels and a few malls have charging stations but not nearly widespread enough to be practical away from the larger urban centers. I hope the day comes when this is more practical for those who are not urban commuters.

You can't get there from here....

Mods and Tweaks:
    Showcrome Trunk Rack
    Showcrome LED Trunk Light
    Garmin 390LM
    Spyderzone Floating Hiway Boards
    Spyderzone Mount Dash Bracket
    BajaRon Antisway Bar
    Showcrome full-size brake pedal
    Spyder-2-Go Driver Cup holder
    Ram X phone mount
    SpyderExtras 12 volt Docking Station
    BRP Driver Backrest
    Monster 4K Action Camera
    Spyderzone LED Fender Mount Spotlights
    CASA LED Headlights and Foglights
    2018 RT Limited , Ashphalt Metallic

Spyder Garage

That's my big issue - electric vehicles can be more fun to drive; instant torque all the time. But range is still an issue as is recharge time. On my recent trip to FL, it's have had to stop 2-3 times for what?... 4-6 hours at a time to recharge? Not very practical.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Electric vehicles are great for urban commuters and running errands. Shucks, if I had the garage space for it, I'd get one of those "City Slickers" from CSC as they can be had for under $2200. It looks like it's a small bike because of the fat tires, but the seat height is 30". What a fun errand runner that would be and no oil or spark plug changes.
    IdahoMtnSpyder makes an excellent point in saying Ma Nature is going to win anyway. We are living in one this earth's few temperate eras. This planet has been on fire, covered with water (that was 600 feet higher than the oceans are now), covered with ice and there have been a few ice ages - plural. That means there were warming periods in between the ice ages. Many of the natural features we travel to see are the result of the ice age and warming thing. The Badlands in SD, the Finger Lakes and the Columbia River Gorge, to name just three.
    This earth will continue on, doing what it has always done, and that is change. It just might get too uncomfortable for human and animal life.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MakoShark2 View Post
    Been driving an electric car for more than 3 years now, and I wouldn't go back.

It's not only a question of environmental matter (which is important of course), electric motors make combustion engines look like something of the past.

Mainly, EVs convert about 59%–62% of the electrical energy from the grid to power at the wheels.
    Conventional gasoline vehicles only convert about 17%–21% of the energy stored in gasoline to power at the wheels...

All but benefits: https://fortune.com/2015/11/17/elect...h-gas-engines/

So I would say, well done BRP, that's the way to go.
    Just how far does your EV go on a charge?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Just how far does your EV go on a charge?
    here's an interesting vid I just saw. can't vouch for the info on it, but they seem to show some "real world " issues with electric vehicles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cvNfmL7XQg&t=928s

Also one on charging these vehicles. I don't know about you, but I don't usually have 10 - 20 hours to wait around while my car got charged.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMBdpXGwVlY

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Funny you used the Hummer as your example. GM is bringing the Hummer name back....as an electric SUV.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

That second video about the problems with charging, makes a fill up at a gas station look easy peasy and fast.

Spyder Garage

I wish they would put their R&D money into building a small turbo diesel. It would be a far better performer than the gas we have now and 100 times better than electric that has such limited range. There is no doubt in my mind that a 1000 to 1500cc turbo diesel in a Spyder could deliver twice the torque of the current 1330 and get upwards of 70mpg. Imagine a 450+ mile range on a 7 gallon tank. To make it complete; a little better wind management from the plastics and a drive shaft to eliminate the annoying vibrations and worry about rocks screwing up a belt.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

And you can put used cooking oil in the tank.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcer960 View Post
    here's an interesting vid I just saw. can't vouch for the info on it, but they seem to show some "real world " issues with electric vehicles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cvNfmL7XQg&t=928s

Also one on charging these vehicles. I don't know about you, but I don't usually have 10 - 20 hours to wait around while my car got charged.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMBdpXGwVlY
    That was the point I was trying to make by asking the question; to me EVs are pie the sky sort of thing unless designed for around town commercial vehicles that can be placed on charge overnight.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    That was the point I was trying to make by asking the question; to me EVs are pie the sky sort of thing unless designed for around town commercial vehicles that can be placed on charge overnight.
    I was agreeing with you, just giving some info to back it up.....

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    I wish they would put their R&D money into building a small turbo diesel. It would be a far better performer than the gas we have now and 100 times better than electric that has such limited range. There is no doubt in my mind that a 1000 to 1500cc turbo diesel in a Spyder could deliver twice the torque of the current 1330 and get upwards of 70mpg. Imagine a 450+ mile range on a 7 gallon tank. To make it complete; a little better wind management from the plastics and a drive shaft to eliminate the annoying vibrations and worry about rocks screwing up a belt.
    I would be happy with just the shaft drive. As a F3 rider, I would also take an electric windscreen, hand guards and Apple Carplay and Android Auto.
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    Last year I bought a 2018 Chevy Equinox with a 1.6 liter turbo diesel. I get 40 plus mpg on average and it has a lot of low end torque. It has cut my monthly gas bill in half. The only down side is having to use the DEF.
    2015 RTS , Black

Spyder Garage

I wonder how often you're going to have to stop and plug in to recharge the batteries..... And how long your going to have to sit there and wait for that to finish?
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by grandbug View Post
    Last year I bought a 2018 Chevy Equinox with a 1.6 liter turbo diesel. I get 40 plus mpg on average and it has a lot of low end torque. It has cut my monthly gas bill in half. The only down side is having to use the DEF.
    yup. we are on our second VW diesel now; a 2015 Passat that gets 40 why and ~36 in town. The '06 Jetta got 45 hwy. If a mid to full size car can get that kind of mileage, there is no doubt a 1000lb Spyder would get double that or better.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

I doubt they'll ever get charging times to an acceptable level. The fix is to standardize the batteries - sizes and connections - so you could just pull into a "recharge" place and swap battery packs. If your vehicle requires different voltage/capacity, you'd just get more packs. Kinda like 3 "D" cells vs 2 "C" cells.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hmmm, plug and play batteries, never thought of that, might work, lots of logistics involve, but isn't there always?