Spyder Garage

Default 2015 RTS Front Sprocket

Should you have a spare front sprocket in your tool kit? I've read a few treads that owners have had failures on the road?

Spyder Garage

I would say no. You would need more tools added to your tool kit too and you already have limited space as it is. Mine went out and had to be replaced, now before any long trip I inspect it for the tell tell signs which is a front pulley that is reddish in color. I guess it could be done but don't think it would be a fun roadside repair. On that note not sure how many Spyders are on the road but this does not seem to be a super common problem.

PS if I was going to recommend anything for your tool kit it would a 12mm wrench in the event the parking bake switch goes out you can at least get home.
    To be continued....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by splake0 View Post
    Should you have a spare front sprocket in your tool kit? I've read a few treads that owners have had failures on the road?
    If you have never had yours removed, inspected and reinstalled with lubricated splines, then you should have that done. Once accomplished, determine a reinspect and lube interval.

Then, there should be no concerns regarding failure of the front pulley while on a long distance trip.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I carry one for my 2014 along with a new bolt...I check it every year and NO signs of rust...BUT, just in case of a failure it makes ME feel better knowing I have one in the bottom of the trunk...larryd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    I carry one for my 2014 along with a new bolt...I check it every year and NO signs of rust...BUT, just in case of a failure it makes ME feel better knowing I have one in the bottom of the trunk...larryd
    This is what I was thinking. My wife’ Rt only has 3400 kms on it. I’m learning the faults with the Spyders and would hate to have this part (among others) fail on a road trip.

I will also inspect the sprocket as recommended. I didn’t know it was a requirement.

Spyder Garage

For my peace of mind, I have a new pulley and bolt on hand. So, if and when the pulley fails there'll be no time spent waiting for parts as I do as many of my own repairs a I can. Money well invested.

Spyder Garage

I inspect it each time I pull the left rear side panel which is at least once a year and have had no indication other than perfect operation in 64K miles.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Not a scheduled maintenance item to remove, inspect and reinstall a serviceable front pulley with lubricant but is a worthy item to consider for continued worry free riding.

The idea of bringing a front pulley as sort of an insurance policy may be viable, but compared to other vehicles you may own, is it truly needed if you accomplish the non mandatory maintenance? Maybe my years as an aircraft mechanic have me more willing to accomplish maintenance items before failure vs contending with a failure while away from home.

Simply my opinion.

Curious, are you also carrying the tools required to remove the bodywork, then r&r the pulley, while correctly torquing it to specs.

Spyder Garage

For my 2018 RTL keeping a front pulley and bolt is about a $130 option, well worth it in my opinion. But I'm with PMK, a little service before you go is great to keep you on the go. If I tried to carry everything that has a history of failing on the Spyder there wouldn't be enough weight capacity / room left for me to also go!
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.