Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Anyone Towing Their Spyder with a Triton Trailer?

I'm looking for a trailer to tow my F3-T on trips up to 900-1000 miles.

In my brief research, I came across Triton Trailers and am looking at either the AUT864B or AUT1064B. My local dealer gave me a cost estimate of $2100 - $2500. Wonder whether anyone has either direct experience with these or could offer pro/con thoughts otherwise?

Thanks!
    Bert

Spyder Garage

Look at the dimensions of your F3-T in your operator's guide. From what I read you are painted into the AUT1064B because of Spyder length, 102.2". You will have only 2" on each side when loading it. Don't know about ramp and what kind of clearance and breakover angle it will give you when loading. Remember too the wheels are 13" which means they are going to be spinning pretty fast at highway speeds and you will have to keep closer watch on bearing lubrication. Just a few thoughts.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Look at the dimensions of your F3-T in your operator's guide. From what I read you are painted into the AUT1064B because of Spyder length, 102.2". You will have only 2" on each side when loading it. Don't know about ramp and what kind of clearance and breakover angle it will give you when loading. Remember too the wheels are 13" which means they are going to be spinning pretty fast at highway speeds and you will have to keep closer watch on bearing lubrication. Just a few thoughts.
    Thanks for your thoughts! You make some good points.

I think that the ramp would be fine, but how would I know the breakover angle (or even what's required for breakover angle) without "trying one on for size" first?

The dealer most likely won't have one in stock. Even if he did, I'd be buying in Jan/Feb and don't relish riding over on the Spyder to check the "fit" in Jan/Feb temps around here.....
    Bert

Spyder Garage

Somewhere in the design of the trailer the engineers should have computed the breakover angle which is based on the deck height of the trailer, 16" according to the specs, and length of the ramp. If you gave the dealer the axle to axle length and the ground clearance of your Spyder he should be able to come up with a go/no-go from the manufacturer. The other bit of information you didn't provide is whether or not you have a bump skid that might contact the ramp when attempting to load the bike. That of course could be remedied through ozarkean engineering with two by sixes. It again would be a function of the length of the ramp and trailer deck height. Heck, it's your dough and were I you, I wouldn't part with it without a test loading of the bike.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

As a former Triton dealer, I would recommend an AUT 10-72 with a bi-fold ramp. It has a deck height of 18.5" (1.5" lower than a 10-64), so you would probably need to jack up the tongue a bit when loading to make the ramp angles a little flatter.
    If necessary, I would pay extra for the bi-fold ramp.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Somewhere in the design of the trailer the engineers should have computed the breakover angle which is based on the deck height of the trailer, 16" according to the specs, and length of the ramp. If you gave the dealer the axle to axle length and the ground clearance of your Spyder he should be able to come up with a go/no-go from the manufacturer. The other bit of information you didn't provide is whether or not you have a bump skid that might contact the ramp when attempting to load the bike. That of course could be remedied through ozarkean engineering with two by sixes. It again would be a function of the length of the ramp and trailer deck height. Heck, it's your dough and were I you, I wouldn't part with it without a test loading of the bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledman View Post
    As a former Triton dealer, I would recommend an AUT 10-72 with a bi-fold ramp. It has a deck height of 18.5" (1.5" lower than a 10-64), so you would probably need to jack up the tongue a bit when loading to make the ramp angles a little flatter.
    If necessary, I would pay extra for the bi-fold ramp.
    Lots of good info, guys! Thanks!

FWIW - I DON'T have a bump skid on the Spyder.

Any thoughts on QUALITY of the Triton trailers?
    Bert

Spyder Garage

Excellent quality.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mine is an AUT 1084. It’s the best trailer I’ve ever owned bar none. Mine is a few years old now and I think they stopped making the ten footers this wide. My Ryker goes right up with no scraping but not any over hang on Rykers. Very well made with a bunch of mounting options. If you lived closer I’d let you try it out. cueman

Spyder Garage

I rented a trailer when I needed it. It had a 16" deck height and a 4' ramp. I could not load my RTL without using 2X6 cheater ramps. The cheaters only needed to be 3' long. I drove a nail through the ramps and placed the nail in an opening of the trailer ramp about halfway up. The nail kept the cheaters in place when loading and unloading. I had no problem with breakover angle and only needed to use cheaters for the front wheels. Once I knew what I needed and how to accomplish the loading/unloading process, it was a piece of cake with the cheaters being a very minor inconvenience. Good luck. Looks like a good trailer..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi