Spyder Garage

Default Helmet question: Shoei RF-1200

I am looking to upgrade my full face helmet and found a good black Friday special on a Shoei RF-1200 helmet. Anyone have any feedback from personal or friend experience with the helmet? Thanks in advance.

Jim

Spyder Garage

I have this helmet and find it to be comfortable and good helmet. However everybody's head is different. Get what fits and feels good to you.
    Happy owner of 2014 White RTS - SE6

Spyder Garage

I have this helmet as well. It fits me well, and is very comfortable, but as SpyderJuice said, you need to try one one because everyone's heads are different. I also found that the manufacturers size chart didn't really work for my head size. I had to try on a couple to get the fit that worked for me. As a side note, this helmet is an excellent choice if you are a glasses wearer.

Cheers
    Bill

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the feedbakc guys

Spyder Garage

I have used the Shoei X series for as long as I can remember and now the GT-Air and tried the RF series awhile back and it wasn't a good fit! So DO make sure you try it on for at least 20mins before committing to it! Just goes to show that even within the same brand the fit can be different....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

+ 1 on the head shape. I've had one SHOEI but several ARAI and find the ARAI's fit me significantly better. I think it has to do with round versus oval shape. Not sure which one. Be cautious. It may not be such a good deal if you are not happy with the fit.
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

My wife wears a RF-1200 and really likes it. One nice thing about the Shoei is that you can buy an OEM replacement photochromatic shield that darkens or lightens depending on the sun. I can only wear an Arai because of my "long oval" head and, as much as I love my helmet, it doesn't have that availability. As others have said, fit is really individual

Warren

Spyder Garage

I agree with hypurone about trying on any helmet but I don't think 20 min is long enough. I personally would take a book to the dealers and wear the helmet and any do-rag or whatever else you normally wear for at least an hour. IMO, if one has to stop within less than an hour of beginning a ride one has missed a pre-ride step somewhere.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Great Helmet- owned one since 2014. I have bought new ones and have eventually sold those but have kept the RF-1200. Most people are either a Shoei head or Arai but not both. Shoei is more oval and like Arai are Snell rated as long as it isn’t a modular model. New Snell rating (Snell2020) comes out next month so a lot of good deals on Snell2015 rated helmets.