Spyder Garage

Default What RPM shift points for a 2019 RT?

Just got rid of my 2011 RT for a 2019 RT Limited. On the 2011 990 engine I was told to keep the rpm’s at 3500 and not to lug it below that so the se5 will perform well. I now have the 1330 engine se6 so what is the proper shifting points and minimum rpm to keep that trans happy? Also which side panel is the oil filter under?

Spyder Garage

990's should be kept at 5500...but that does not matter now.

The 1330 loves to be shifted at and kept in the 3500 range. You will find your exact sweet spot.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Try pages 108-111 of your operator's guide to learn all about checking and changing the oil and filter.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I find the 1330 engine to be very forgiving but I try to keep the revs over 3000 even when cruising. Love the ride

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Low speed level ground slow traffic my shift point is around 2800. Much below that and it will refuse to shift. Keeping the 1330 below 3000 at any speed and it will give you the best fuel millage. Passing, pulling a hill, and 2 up you can shift anywhere you like above 3000 to redline. Won't hurt it a bit. I've had to shift at high RPM's a few times and I give the throttle a little blip like when your shifting with a conventional clutch. Seems the 1330 likes that a little better. Like others here have said, you'll find your "sweet spot" at whatever speed and RPM you prefer to shift.

Spyder Garage

Being an acceleration junkie ------- I often go to 5500 or 6000 ----- Oh, the ECU flash makes the a blast with out winding the rubber band to tight. Kinda like the V-Max---- When the V-boost hits-- be pointed in a safe direction.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

When you hit the rev limiter it is time to shift!
    I am probably a horrible example, as I run higher RPMs than most, and stay slightly below 4,000 when cruising. When riding hard, I’ll wind it up like Lew L.

Spyder Garage

Oil filter should be under the right side panel. It is on my 2019. You didn't specify the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Whizwaz View Post
    When you hit the rev limiter it is time to shift!
    I am probably a horrible example, as I run higher RPMs than most, and stay slightly below 4,000 when cruising. When riding hard, I’ll wind it up like Lew L.
    I disagree with that. It slacks off on pulling hard around 7400 RPMs. That should be the shift point to get the maximum out of it. Running it past the top of the torque curve is just a waste.

This will also depend on which model you have and what rear pulley you have on it.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Thank you for all the advice.

Spyder Garage

"proper shifting points and minimum rpm to keep that trans happy?"

The 1330 triple engine is a strong engine with a flat torque curve of 88 lbft above 2800 rpm and a 10% boost above 4500 rpm.

1330 torque curve.jpg

If you want performance and acceleration go for high revs, --but if you want fuel economy, the BRP engineers gave you the ECO Mode shift points for easy, engine safe acceleration as low as 2000 RPM if you are loafing along.... just watch for the shift arrow when coasting along. You wont hurt anything - engine or transmission! The 1330 engine is a touring powerhouse.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    "proper shifting points and minimum rpm to keep that trans happy?"

The 1330 triple engine is a strong engine with a flat torque curve of 88 lbft above 2800 rpm and a 10% boost above 4500 rpm.

1330 torque curve.jpg

If you want performance and acceleration go for high revs, --but if you want fuel economy, the BRP engineers gave you the ECO Mode shift points for easy, engine safe acceleration as low as 2000 RPM if you are loafing along.... just watch for the shift arrow when coasting along. You wont hurt anything - engine or transmission! The 1330 engine is a touring powerhouse.
    Nailed it!