Spyder Garage

Default 2014 Spyder RS: Opinions needed

Hi, I have seen a: 2014 Spyder RS for sale at: $9,500 firm with 1,325 miles. Viewing the photos it looks like it is in mint condition. I am assuming it is a v-twin 100hp which may be a deal breaker for me. I do like the 3 cylinder.
    Any input you can provide on this would be helpful because I am new to the Spyder world. Any issues with the 2014 spyder I should be aware of? Relibility issues, recalls, etc. Your opinion on price etc.

Thank you in advance,

Frank

Spyder Garage

The RS has the 998 twin cylinder engine. Many on SL prefer that 1330 engine to the 998. The RS is discontinued and that is why the lower price. The low mileage is a plus...provided it has not been driven due to mechanical difficulties.

I would recommend having a dealer do a VIN search for you. It will give the mechanical history. It should have at least had the initial oil change service at 650 miles. Five years old and no more services could be a little bit of an issue.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-28-2019 at 02:19 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Below is My Opinion
    Price is high is it an SE5 or SM5? Mileage is low for a 6 year old bike and that is not always a good thing when its that low (1325). Use Caution and try and work the price down, a lot to think about. With just the info you provide and nothing more to go on I would tell my friend to run away from it. So a 2014 RS SM5 with 1,325 miles no upgrades $9500.00 firm is what you are saying (6 years old ). NADA $14,899 when new; $6,145 low retail now; $8,085 Average retail now.

1. 2014 was a good year for Spyders in general.
    2. There is nothing wrong with the 998 twin cylinder engine.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I had a 2009 GS 998 and for about $500 more you can get a New Ryker 900 which I now have and is a Lot More fun!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Thank you for your input! It is very helpful. I was also concerned about the low mileage and the fact that it has been sitting a lot in a hot garage for 5 years. I know about this because I live in Lake Havasu where it is listed.

I appreciate your comments!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    Below is My Opinion
    Price is high is it an SE5 or SM5? Mileage is low for a 6 year old bike and that is not always a good thing when its that low (1325). Use Caution and try and work the price down, a lot to think about. With just the info you provide and nothing more to go on I would tell my friend to run away from it. So a 2014 RS SM5 with 1,325 miles no upgrades $9500.00 firm is what you are saying (6 years old ). NADA $14,899 when new; $6,145 low retail now; $8,085 Average retail now.

1. 2014 was a good year for Spyders in general.
    2. There is nothing wrong with the 998 twin cylinder engine.
    The listing stated: it is an RS.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Frankab View Post
    The listing stated: it is an RS.
    SE5 is the designation for semi-automatic shifting, SM5 is manual clutch shifting.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Isnt the 2014 the first year of the 1330??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sputter View Post
    Yes. And, the first 6-speed tranny. I purchased one of these first year models. Have had no issues or problems with it. 35K and still going strong.

BRP was still using the 998 engine in RS and ST models in 2014.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-30-2019 at 12:03 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Yes. And, the first 6-speed tranny. I purchased one of these first year models. Have had no issues or problems with it. 35K and still going strong.

BRP was still using the 998 engine in RS and ST models in 2014.
    I personally like them both! As stated previously by another they are different! I will have a 1330 manual shift as soon as I can make room in the garage.

Spyder Garage

I personally like them both! As stated previously by another they are different! I will have a 1330 manual shift as soon as I can make room in the garage.
    I currently have one of each of the engines. 998 and 1330. Either one is great, but each one has its own special characteristics.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I asked the owner, is it 2 or 3 cylinder? She did not know!

Spyder Garage

personally would prefer an owner that knew more about their bike (better chance was well maintained), but there are some that just know how to put gas in simply the RS & ST did not get the 1330 & the end of 998 still good motors & can handle the miles just few quirks like keeping eye on oil level, more often than one may like. & then there is the never ending preferred oil debacle don’t focus as much on price but comfort make sure it fits you to enjoy the many miles of smiles your likely to pursue

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Don't be too hard on her for not knowing. There is a local dealer here that tried to tell me that the base F3 in 2015 had the 2 cylinder engine. Sometimes you have to check them out for yourself. I have owned a 2014 RT (1330), a 2012 RSS (990), and now have a 2016 F3T (1330). They all have their ups and downs. For an all around bike, the F3T just suits me better, as it is like a combination of the other 2. I only miss my RT whenever the wife and I go on longer trips. It is more comfortable for 2 up riding. But for just local solo riding, I kinda miss my RSS, and will probably try to pick up another one day. I did not like the extra heat that they gave off, other than that, I really liked it. But it was strickly a solo ride for me.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Frank, as a 2012 RS owner since 2013 and 17,500 miles ridden on it I can tell you there isn't anything wrong with the V-twin 990 series engine it's strong and dependable and the right-size engine for this series of Spyder's. The bigger question in my mind is, is it an SM5 (manual clutch-shift) or an SE5 (semi-automatic clutch-shift)? The SE5's are more expensive, desirability depends on the rider if you prefer to manually clutch and shift or want to be able to just bump a paddle on the handlebar up/down to automatically shift it. I prefer the SE5 option, I just like to enjoy the ride not having to fiddle with the machine every time I have to stop or slow down for traffic. The paddle-shifting SE5 is a sweetheart IMHO!

Don't be concerned about the engine, that RS is still capable of being quite a crotch-rocket if that's how you like to ride.... there are videos on Youtube of them drag-racing on drag-strips together... because of their lower weight they accelerate like a rocket ship, the SE5's can upshift just as fast as you can click the paddle shifter!

Having been parked in a garage more often than not, not that huge of a deal you'll want to have the bike serviced fully at a shop anyways if you buy it. You can probably negotiate the price down a bit more, sounds like owner never really got "into" riding it and will probably consider reasonable offers to clear the space IMHO. It's worth a shot if you like the look of the bike. Go see it in person, ask to hear it run and if you can ride it around the driveway or the block or something.

Good luck!

- Michael