Spyder Garage

Default Free dealer oil changes?

I was watching a Youtube video where a dealer representative (All Out Cycles in Chesapeake VA) was being interviewed. The rep stated that if you buy a new Spyder from them, they offer free oil and filter changes for as long as you own the Spyder. I've never had that offered on any of my prior bike deals, and was wondering if this is a "one off", or if anyone else has experienced this? I'm getting ready to negotiate a deal on a 2020 RT Limited and just wonder how common this is before I ask my dealer about it.

Thanks in advance,

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've never heard of such an offer.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Never hurts to ask but I'm sure its just a local dealer thing that effects your bottom line.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Saluda View Post
    I've never heard of such an offer.
    Me either, and it seems like a pretty big "ask". I'll be surprised if many here have heard of it either. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

With the average oil change costing $350, that is a pretty good deal. However, the 1330's get their first oil change at 3,400 miles and then, every 9,500 miles OR once a year, whichever comes first.

Most riders are not going to exceed the "once a year" oil change.

So far, I have had to pay for all of mine.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That would be a super good incentive to buy, but I have not been to a Spyder dealer yet that seemed 'anxious' to sell a Spyder. Setting up a demo ride is a big deal.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by japgen View Post
    I was watching a Youtube video where a dealer representative (All Out Cycles in Chesapeake VA) was being interviewed. The rep stated that if you buy a new Spyder from them, they offer free oil and filter changes for as long as you own the Spyder. I've never had that offered on any of my prior bike deals, and was wondering if this is a "one off", or if anyone else has experienced this? I'm getting ready to negotiate a deal on a 2020 RT Limited and just wonder how common this is before I ask my dealer about it.

Thanks in advance,
    sure was probably a optional “package” not just buying a spyder sometimes called service contracts, can’t say have ever heard one “as long as you own” timeframe

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I watched the video the OP mentioned and was impressed with the owner's narrative about his business; he is very well spoken. Regarding the free oil changes, he did explain that they have a "customer loyalty" program that included free oil changes for as long as the purchasing owner had the Spyder. Being a skeptical comparison shopper I would include such a line on the spreadsheet I create to compare dealer prices with MSRP for exactly what I want to see if there was an initial, albeit perhaps nominal, up front charge to participate in a "customer loyalty" program. Unfortunately, the subject of Spyder service and assured customer satisfaction or any comments about service technician skill and certification was not addressed.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil Change

I would call them and ask about the 'Free Oil and Filter Deal'.
    All they can say, Yes or No. This could be a good offer.
    My dealer has a Service Contract but it is a little pricey. Definitely, Not Free'........
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Wonder how long you would have to leave it at the dealership to get this service?

Their round toit might be longer than you care for.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a good deal to me. But, you have to bring it to them for the service. If you move you're out the benefit. Also is he making up for it with the selling price? Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Me neither but I would be cautious with the offer. Spyder dealers are obviously BRP products dealer. You may encounter a traffic jam with service and not be able to get it done for several weeks and you end up doing it yourself. You should negotiate free kits as well in case their schedule does not fit your need and you don't mind doing it yourself.

Good luck

J
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As long as I’m able I choose to do it myself. From past experience I wouldn’t want dealerships touching my vehicle unless I had to. The way I look at is, if I have to double check their work I may as well do it myself and know it was done properly. cueman

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by japgen View Post

Thanks in advance,
    "FREE" always catches one's attention. My personal response that NOTHING worth anything is ever free. At an average of $350 cost for "oil change" at my dealer also involves giving the Spyder a visual inspection and physically checking for loose nuts and bolts. I think most if not all dealers are charging at least $125 per hour. Even changing ONLY the oil and filter will take almost and hour if the engine is drained properly. Add the cost of the oil and filter. So, IMO, the dealer is losing a lot of money on his Spyder oil changes or the customers are paying it forward.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Whatever the dealerships are offering, you can bet they are not gonna lose any money. There is no such thing as a free lunch. Some Harley dealerships are offering a lifetime power train warranty. None of them are offering anything they expect to lose any money on.

I change my own oil @ about $70 each time.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

can you tell how i have a 2011 can-am spyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    Never hurts to ask but I'm sure its just a local dealer thing that effects your bottom line.
    hello i am brian we have been talking about batterys i have tested it under load only has 24 cc amps. will be geting one soon. but do you know any good videos on oil changs for a 2011 spyder rt thanks you brian

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by electricman View Post
    hello i am brian we have been talking about batterys i have tested it under load only has 24 cc amps. will be geting one soon. but do you know any good videos on oil changs for a 2011 spyder rt thanks you brian
    Try looking here at some of these 2010 to 2012 are the same for oil change all 998 twins https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...ideo&FORM=VDRE
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post

2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

thank for the in fo i am going to get together the oil, oil filter, and what about the air filter should replace that as well right,and also the tools i will need.i will have see about that i just order the battery from ebay i had it tested only had 24 cranking amps lol i know right i guess thats why it was not starting, even having 12.5 volts. thanks again brian.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by electricman View Post
    thank for the in fo i am going to get together the oil, oil filter, and what about the air filter should replace that as well right,and also the tools i will need.i will have see about that i just order the battery from ebay i had it tested only had 24 cranking amps lol i know right i guess thats why it was not starting, even having 12.5 volts. thanks again brian.
    For filters look here https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...rs-amp-Helmets Make sure and read the statement at the bottom about how to determine what filter you have. Oil filter should be changed about 3000 to 5000 miles air filters every 12000 miles. Look at the page I gave you and it will give you a lot of info there. Good luck with the oil change. They are easy to do once you have done one.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

i just whant to thank every one for all the info i replaced the battery all is fine , just got to do the oil change .

Spyder Garage

An insider's perspective on free oil change/maintenance plans:

There are two things the dealer is betting on when they sign you up for these.

The first thing is they are betting that cost of the plan will exceed the cost of paying for the oil changes yourself. Typically, this is done by putting an expiration date on the plan, in addition to a mileage limit. Some plans will only have an expiration date, with no mileage limit. Not all plans have an expiration date, but most will. What dealers will often do is show you a quick calculation that shows that the overall cost of paying for all the oil changes yourself is much higher than having them done under the maintenance plan. It will look something like this (using fake numbers for simplicity's sake):

Cost of maintenance plan: $500 for 3 years/100,000 miles
    Cost per oil change: $100
    Oil changed every 10,000 miles
    100,000 miles @ 3 years ÷ 10,000 miles = 10 oil changes x $100 = $1,000 ($500 savings!)
    If the dealer is honest, they'll tell you outright that this math only works out if you hit the mileage first before you hit the expiration date. Take a look at the math again, this time assuming you're only driving about 10,000 miles a year, meaning you'll only put 30,000 miles on the vehicle before the maintenance plan expires:

Cost of maintenance plan: $500 for 3 years/100,000 miles
    Cost per oil change: $100
    Oil changed every 10,000 miles
    30,000 miles @ 3 years ÷ 10,000 miles = 3 oil changes x $100 = $300 ($200 loss!)
    The second thing they are betting on is that they'll upsell you on other services/repairs while your vehicle is in their shop for the free stuff. Half the battle for a shop when selling work is getting the customer in the door. A maintenance plan pretty much guarantees that you will be visiting the shop semi-regularly, and you will therefore be that much more likely to get any repairs done at that shop. Many shops will give complimentary inspections with any service, so if they find any issues with the vehicle they can sell you the repair on the spot. If the plan you're looking at doesn't have an expiration date, that means the dealer is relying solely on this method to make their money back, and more often than not, they succeed in doing this.

The above long rant, boiled down, essentially means this: You will generally only get your money's worth out of maintenance plans if you drive or ride your vehicle frequently, and only get your maintenance performed at one location. Check to see if there's an expiration date on the plan. Try to calculate how many miles you put on the vehicle and see if you'll get your money's worth before the plan expires.
    Motorcycle rider since 2011, Spyder owner since 2019
    BMW Service Manager/Advisor - 2011 to 2014
    Independent Automotive Repair Service Writer - 2014 to 2018
    Small Engine Repair Shop Manager - 2018 to 2019
    2019 F3 , Black