Spyder Garage

Default Stuck in R......

Today went for a ride. 3-4 times the bike when stopped wound up in neutral and I could not start it. Final straw is in the driveway I backed in and stopped in front of garage door, shut off key and went inside to remove jacket. Came back out and turn on key and it shows R on the dash but bike is in neutral (it will roll back and forth) but cannot start the bike!!!
    Rocked it back and forth and still not start. I had to push it into the garage while the R showed on dash. What's going on?
    Buckskin
    2016 F3T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I am not shore but I think you have a safety switch that needs to be replaced or adjusted!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Anybody got idea where that puppy is? What if any kind of adjustment is there?
    2016 F3T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I know they like to use a lot of little micro switches on a lot of the items on the bike, like the brake peddle, e brake, there is one I think on the shifting linkage, but don't hold me to that!! Some one will chime in and help I am sure, or if you go to cheapcycleparts.com and look at the micro phish you may find some thing!! Good luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

First go back to basics 1. kill switch in the correct position, click back and forth one time to make sure. 2. Foot on the Brake. 3. turn key to on, wait for and then hit the mode button. 4. Push start button. Many times we forget to do just one of them and we think it is the bike that failed. I have done the kill switch and forgot to step on the Brake more then once.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
    ...... Came back out and turn on key and it shows R on the dash but bike is in neutral (it will roll back and forth) but cannot start the bike!!! ......
    If your Spyder has the Semi-auto gearbox, it will & SHOULD do that!!

The SE5 clutches need engine revs to start in order for the clutch to engage (about 1500 rpm to even begin engaging, 3300 or so to fully engage!) while the SE6's need oil pressure - oil pressure that only comes from the engine running at or slightly above idle for a second or two.... just cranking the engine over on the starter motor shouldn't do it!

So it does sound like either you've missed one of those basic steps CS mentioned (and if we're gonna be truly honest, we've ALL done that at least once! ) or failing that, one of the 'don't start fail-safe' micro-switches has failed! From what you've described, it might be the 'brake on' switch; the one that stops the engine from starting without the operator stepping on the brake pedal if the Spyder was last stopped while it was still 'in gear' (when you stopped in Reverse maybe?!)....

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-27-2019 at 05:54 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Today went for a ride. 3-4 times the bike when stopped wound up in neutral and I could not start it.

so how did you get home?
    CopperSpyder may be on the money
    pres ride
    2014 RT-S
    bike is WIP
    bike has endured elect spike (was jump started incorrectly)
    still a WIP but bike is now running and registered....swapped out 5 modules mostly sourced from Canadian wrecker

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Might be related (or not). Lately, I have had a problem with the bike not waiting for me to press the ECO switch. It will start up with just the key on - brake - start button. It's odd and likely not related...

Check that your brake light comes on with the pedal. If not switch bad.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Anything back from rider on this. Would be nice for followup!

Spyder Garage

HELP!!! I'm changing out my clutch lever MICRO SWITCH on a 2015 F3s 6 speed manual. Cant seem to locate the lower connector plug. If someone knows of it's location, it would be a great help. My F3S SHOP MANUAL nor cheapcycleparts site where the lower connector is located. I've removed panels, lower engine cover, etc but no luck. Pic would be great.

UPDATE: Found connector on right side of bike, FIXED.