Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Something I do when the Spyder is in Hibernation

I downhill ski ….. Last year I renewed my love for skiing. …. Hadn't skied in 25 or so years, but I figured at 72 I better stay as active as I could ….. Bought new ski's and boots, and re-learned how to do it ….. Actually went 66 times last season …. during Spring and summer, I felt better than anytime in the past decade ….. We had some cold snowy weather early in Nov. and they were able to make snow, so today I went to the slopes …. I have another Season pass, so I begin getting back into Ski-shape as soon as I can....( I exercise, but it seems ski muscles only develope from Skiing )... only took 10 runs, ( it was getting warm and soft ) but I felt much better than I did last year at the same time …… that's all , now back to Spyder stuff ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Hi Mike,
    Skiing is what I do in the winter also. Mt Rose is now open full time but has been weekends for 3 weeks. We are about to get blasted with a real winter storm Tues thru Thurs. Even more of the mountain will open. Our Thanksgiving guests won't be coming over Donner pass because of this storm ( they predict 2 feet at pass level) so I'll be skiing Thurs morn. Much like I do New years morning and Super Bowl Sunday as the resort is almost empty. A few ryders around here ski also but we haven't hooked up for a day on the mountain ---- YET.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Hi Mike,
    Skiing is what I do in the winter also. Mt Rose is now open full time but has been weekends for 3 weeks. We are about to get blasted with a real winter storm Tues thru Thurs. Even more of the mountain will open. Our Thanksgiving guests won't be coming over Donner pass because of this storm ( they predict 2 feet at pass level) so I'll be skiing Thurs morn. Much like I do New years morning and Super Bowl Sunday as the resort is almost empty. A few ryders around here ski also but we haven't hooked up for a day on the mountain ---- YET.

Lew L
    Happy to hear about your snow conditions …. sorry to hear about your guests not making the trip …… Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Snowmobiling is our winter fix while the Spyder is put away. Winter sports make the time pass quickly. (Or is it the older you get the faster it goes ?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Saluda View Post
    Snowmobiling is our winter fix while the Spyder is put away. Winter sports make the time pass quickly. (Or is it the older you get the faster it goes ?)
    I used to that ( for about 40 yrs. ). I gave it up 4 yrs ago due to not having anyone nearby to go with...… My location is very rural, and during the week ( the only time I would do it ) I would be out there by myself..... and that isn't a wise thing to do at 72......Enjoy ….. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Too bad.
    Very true, we never go with one sled or alone.

Spyder Garage

Good for you BlueKnight

We never did the downhill stuff, but did a lot of cross country. Those are some great memories.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Good for you BlueKnight

We never did the downhill stuff, but did a lot of cross country. Those are some great memories.
    Cross country skiing could be just as physically challenging depending on what your goals are ….. and good for you ......…..Happy Thanksgiving to ALL …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Exciting, and congrats on relearning to ski.
    I just gear up, go sit on the Spyder and make engine noises until spring.....
    That and walking the doodles gets me along until weather breaks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I remember when I was young looking at those old folks on the slopes in front of me and wondered what in the heck are doing here? They're just in everyone else's way crisscrossing the fall line everywhere. Now I understand. They've got the time (retired) they've got the money (season pass) and the equipment, which these days almost makes the turns for you. Also they don't have to stash a bota bag on the hill somewhere because now they can afford the bar stool time.

Spyder Garage

The Spyders do not hibernate down here. It is 80 degrees today.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I remember when I was young looking at those old folks on the slopes in front of me and wondered what in the heck are doing here? They're just in everyone else's way crisscrossing the fall line everywhere. Now I understand. They've got the time (retired) they've got the money (season pass) and the equipment, which these days almost makes the turns for you. Also they don't have to stash a bota bag on the hill somewhere because now they can afford the bar stool time.
    Thanks - …. my local Ski area ( 8 miles away ) has a Senior season pass for $ 129.00 ( which I bought ) I can only ski M-F, and not at Holiday periods, but I wouldn't go then anyway. So my potential is approx. 100 days ( 16 so far ) ….. and Yep, the new equipment makes a HUGH difference.....Plus it's so darn healthy …. I'm really happy with returning to the sport …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    The Spyders do not hibernate down here. It is 80 degrees today.
    I'm glad for you …. but I can ride 7 - 8 mos. and about 10,000 mi. +/- ….. this gives me time to appreciate my Spyder more ...…. Mike

Spyder Garage

Put 7,000 on it since the end of April.

2019 F3-S , Black & Silver