Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default OEM Tire Upgrade

Sorry in advance if this question has already been posed to the group.
    I'm planning to pre-order a 2020 RT Limited, and will be meeting with the dealer to discuss options and pricing in a few weeks. My question is whether it's possible to have the Spyder fitted with tires other than the Kendas on a new order like this? Or do they "automatically"ship with OEM tires in all cases?

Thanks for any input the braintrust can offer.

Spyder Garage

The tires will be shipped with the OEM Kendas. You might be able to have your dealer install auto tires if they agree to it. Some dealers will install auto tires and some won’t
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

The new one will come with Kenda's. Most dealers will NOT change them out.

The good news is...if you like the ride, you should not have to change out the fronts for about 20,000 miles or the rear for 15,000 miles. This is my track record over 4 different spyders.

This summer we went to "other" tires on both of our Spyders.

The additional good news for you is...don't worry about tires now. Drive the until you need them. There are a LOT of tire threads with very good suggestions. You have plenty of time to figure it out.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by japgen View Post
    Sorry in advance if this question has already been posed to the group.
    I'm planning to pre-order a 2020 RT Limited, and will be meeting with the dealer to discuss options and pricing in a few weeks. My question is whether it's possible to have the Spyder fitted with tires other than the Kendas on a new order like this? Or do they "automatically"ship with OEM tires in all cases?

Thanks for any input the braintrust can offer.
    The spyder comes with Kenda tires on it.

Ride the spyder until it needs new tires. I have 2014 RTS-SE6 and had my local dealership install the rear tire( General Altimax RT 43 I bought myself) I had to sign a waiver first. The rear tire was changed @ ( Kenda) 5,824 miles( in 2014). I'm on my 2nd General Altimax RT 43 rear tire, which was replace this year. This tire has a "Replace Tire" with in the rubber of the tire. It has a tire monitor system, which tells you when to replace the tire.

I also replace the front tires with Continental Contiprocontacts ( size 165/60 R 15) at 12,807 miles in 2016. I am still running the Continental Contiprocontacts on my spyder. Also my spyder has 26,000 miles. The Continental's still have a lot of thread left and wearing well.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a 14 RTS-SE6 cognac also. I stupidly pushed my OEM rear tire to just over 7K and replaced it with an General Altimax. Replaced the fronts with Federal Formoza at about 20k because they were so badly cupped. (Service manager said that's normal. Yea right! LLPOF) I'm at 39K now and all my tires have plenty of tread left. Like everyone said here, save your dinero and wear out the oem krapendas and then buy your choice of quality car tires.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I have a 14 RTS-SE6 cognac also. I stupidly pushed my OEM rear tire to just over 7K and replaced it with an General Altimax. Replaced the fronts with Federal Formoza at about 20k because they were so badly cupped. (Service manager said that's normal. Yea right! LLPOF) I'm at 39K now and all my tires have plenty of tread left. Like everyone said here, save your dinero and wear out the oem krapendas and then buy your choice of quality car tires.
    " front tires cupping " ….it's possible that manager has seen many Crapenda's with " Cupped " tires ….. too many Kenda's are defect prone ……. get some good auto tires, you will be much happier ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Tires !
    You said TIRES !!!!!!!

Slowly I turned, step by step, inch by inch...............
    And then I saw him, with TIRES............................................. ..................
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

One, two,, three,,, Your going to have to live most likely with the stock tires till you want to change them!! Then have to go to a different bike shop that will work on your bike and have them changed out to what you want! Most Can-Am dealers will NOT want to even have you say the word CAR TIRE out loud I the store! Good luck!!! I have found a private shop that will do it for me, I may have to help him take the rear tire off the first time, but that's ok, Ill know it's done right that way!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies folks! I was hoping to get something different put on from day one, but will live with the Kendas for a while as everyone has suggested.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies folks! I was hoping to get something different put on from day one, but will live with the Kendas for a while as everyone has suggested.
    Your buying them, even if you may not like them, you may as well burn the snot out them and not waste your money!! RIGHT Have fun!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

OK ... Kinda the same situation. I have 3300 miles on my my 2019 F3-S with OEM tires. I've been reading the tire threads and pretty much decided to go the Vredestein Quatrac 5 route (165/60-15) for the fronts as a winter upgrade. That said, in all reality, I likely spend 90% of my riding in "normal" mode. The other 10% would be the more aggressive type riding (CO/AR/Sturgis/Smoky's) that I do on my annual trips. One side of my brain says use up the Kenda's. I didn't have anything to complain about on a trip thru the Ozarks last month. The other side says for about the $230 cost (tires/mounting), the added benefits of ride/handling is worth it. Is it that much noticeable? I'll also be adding an upgraded swaybar to the mix. Being in WI, I have 3-4 months to decide

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    ...... Is it that much noticeable? I'll also be adding an upgraded swaybar to the mix. Being in WI, I have 3-4 months to decide
    Short answer, YES, it is that much noticeable WHEN you start having issues with the Kendas (and that's usually just a matter of time &/or miles! ) And it's also that much more noticeable if you ever want to do any 'more aggressive' type ryding too!

But I can understand if you want to wear out the Kendas first, I just hope that while you are wearing them out, you never run into a situation where you really NEED your Spyder to be wearing tires that will let it handle & perform anywhere near the extremities of its capabilities! The OE Spec Kendas really are the limiting factor in that equation!

Ryde Safe!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    OK ... Kinda the same situation. I have 3300 miles on my my 2019 F3-S with OEM tires. I've been reading the tire threads and pretty much decided to go the Vredestein Quatrac 5 route (165/60-15) for the fronts as a winter upgrade. That said, in all reality, I likely spend 90% of my riding in "normal" mode. The other 10% would be the more aggressive type riding (CO/AR/Sturgis/Smoky's) that I do on my annual trips. One side of my brain says use up the Kenda's. I didn't have anything to complain about on a trip thru the Ozarks last month. The other side says for about the $230 cost (tires/mounting), the added benefits of ride/handling is worth it. Is it that much noticeable? I'll also be adding an upgraded swaybar to the mix. Being in WI, I have 3-4 months to decide
    IMHO, even tho the Kenda's are marginal ( at best ), the traction they do have isn't so bad they are dangerous..... If the fronts are well aligned they should last 20 to 25,000 mi. ….. the rear about 10 to 13,000mi. …… I would just wear them down and then get the Quatrac 5's ( My pick for best tire currently ) ….. oddly, the Vredestein's have a pretty high " snow " rating...…. good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Like others have said, it is likely you will have to pay for the Kenda-crap even if your dealer agrees to put the tire of your choice on before delivery to you. No need to beat the horse about which tire in this thread; a search will turn up more answers than you want to read about that.

On the other side of the coin, you could get your deal made with price locked in on one condition--that they install the tires you want at no additional charge. Tell the dealer that's the only way you will drop 30K$ and stick to your ultimatum. Be sure to report back here how that works out.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    Like others have said, it is likely you will have to pay for the Kenda-crap even if your dealer agrees to put the tire of your choice on before delivery to you. No need to beat the horse about which tire in this thread; a search will turn up more answers than you want to read about that.

On the other side of the coin, you could get your deal made with price locked in on one condition--that they install the tires you want at no additional charge. Tell the dealer that's the only way you will drop 30K$ and stick to your ultimatum. Be sure to report back here how that works out.
    Just a thought, three UNUSED Kenda's probably an MSRP of over $300.00 ….. good luck ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

I like the idea most folks on here have about running the Spyder in completely stock form until you get comfortable with it. When you do that, each change you makes is easily discernible as to how much benefit it gives. I bailed on my OEM Kenda's at around 1000 miles because the bike was wandering and one of the fronts couldn't be balanced (Kenda wheelbarrow quality). I switched to car tires and I can say as long as I own this Spyder it will never have Kenda tires on it again.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Just a thought, three UNUSED Kenda's are worth over $300.00 ….. good luck ….. Mike
    I think I would replace the word "worth" with "have an MSRP of," as they are certainly not worth that to most folks who have experienced them.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post

I like this idea! As much as I respect everyone's input about riding the Kendas since I will already have paid for them, my 2 wheel experience has been that I always put the absolute best rubber on, and change out before they really need it. I think tires are arguably the most important component on the cycle, right up there with brakes.

With that background, I'm thinking about having dealer install new, better, tires right out of the gate before I even take delivery. Yes it will cost me more, but from all that I've read and seen online about these Kendas, to me it would be worth the improved handling, safety and peace of mind. If those of you with Spyder-specific miles under your belt think this is nuts, please chime in!

Spyder Garage

I like this idea! As much as I respect everyone's input about riding the Kendas since I will already have paid for them, my 2 wheel experience has been that I always put the absolute best rubber on, and change out before they really need it. I think tires are arguably the most important component on the cycle, right up there with brakes.

With that background, I'm thinking about having dealer install new, better, tires right out of the gate before I even take delivery. Yes it will cost me more, but from all that I've read and seen online about these Kendas, to me it would be worth the improved handling, safety and peace of mind. If those of you with Spyder-specific miles under your belt think this is nuts, please chime in!
    Japgen, I wasn’t smart enough to do that at time of purchase, but it is sure worth a try. I did however swap my Kendas for Kuhmos within the first thousand Kms. They just didn’t feel right to me (others have no issue with them, but they weren’t for me). I have not once regretted my decision to ditch perfectly good, new tyres for one minute. The Kuhmos just make me feel so much more planted and confident at all times
    p.s. I chose Kuhmo as we don’t seem to have the issue with wet weather grip out here that is reported in the US. Perhaps different road compound?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Alright ... alright ... alright.. I'm thinking that the Vredestein Q5 $225 cost (tires/mounting/balancing) is a small price to pay for the improved ride and handling. I'll want them on when I get a laser alignment come spring after I get the swaybar installed this winter. Wearing out the OEM Kenda's could take a couple more seasons and I'm not gonna wait. Gonna be ordering a pair on Jan 02

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

If you have a Can-am dealer that will change out your tires for what you want, number one give him a hug and keep him around for a while!!!! And just change them out and join the club of happy people that have found some one that will do it for them! I have not found that person yet, but I am on the trail of one!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    If you have a Can-am dealer that will change out your tires for what you want, number one give him a hug and keep him around for a while!!!! And just change them out and join the club of happy people that have found some one that will do it for them! I have not found that person yet, but I am on the trail of one!!
    I bought a tire mounting machine and balance shaft and did it myself. It's really not that hard if you've ever done a motorcycle tire before. Fronts can be done at most any tire change place, just tell them it's for a Smart Car or boat trailer if they ask. Rear is kind of like a motorcycle/car hybrid, so it's slightly harder. Couldn't be happier with the results, but also not being held captive by dealerships as far as tires go.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    I bought a tire mounting machine and balance shaft and did it myself. It's really not that hard if you've ever done a motorcycle tire before. Fronts can be done at most any tire change place, just tell them it's for a Smart Car or boat trailer if they ask. Rear is kind of like a motorcycle/car hybrid, so it's slightly harder. Couldn't be happier with the results, but also not being held captive by dealerships as far as tires go.
    I wished you lived next door, I would be your best friend next spring!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I'll go against the consensus here about wearing out your Kendas before replacement. My vote is to change them out immediately. I replaced my rear tire at 6900 miles and the fronts at 12,000 miles. The change in handling and ride comfort was dramatic! So dramatic that I wish I had done it much sooner. I really feel it would have shortened my learning curve by a substantial amount. The bike was so jiggly, I really didn't feel confidant until about 1500 miles. If I had the Kumhos on the front from the get-go, I think I could confidently claim that I could have cut those initial 1500 miles by half.

IMHO, if you want to reduce your learning curve and gain confidence more quickly, dump the Kendas immediately. It will be worth the expense.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    I'll go against the consensus here about wearing out your Kendas before replacement. My vote is to change them out immediately. I replaced my rear tire at 6900 miles and the fronts at 12,000 miles. The change in handling and ride comfort was dramatic! So dramatic that I wish I had done it much sooner. I really feel it would have shortened my learning curve by a substantial amount. The bike was so jiggly, I really didn't feel confidant until about 1500 miles. If I had the Kumhos on the front from the get-go, I think I could confidently claim that I could have cut those initial 1500 miles by half.

IMHO, if you want to reduce your learning curve and gain confidence more quickly, dump the Kendas immediately. It will be worth the expense.
    This is exactly why I said to run it until you're confident of it. You can say without a doubt, that your car tires made the difference. If you swap too early you might have the nagging feeling that it may have been the learning curve and not the tires.
    h0gr1der