Spyder Garage

Question Spark plug Heat sink paste

Changing plugs in my 2013 RT and shop manual calls for heat sink paste to be put on plug threads. So my local dealer has the paste, $38.99, enough to do 500 plugs. Have searched locally and no one carries it in small amounts. Radio Shack did but they have shut almost all stores. Question, is this paste really necessary and if so where can you get it locally. Probably on line but will be another week before I can get it going. Frustrated with this machine. Everything is difficult. TIA for any help.

Spyder Garage

Contact BajaRon, one of our site sponsors. He includes a small packet of paste with the spark plug kits he sells. He might be able to mail you a small packet.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Thank you JKM, I did look again in the package and you are right, it is the small pak. Didn't nitice it at first because they were together. But all is good again, and thanks again.

Spyder Garage

check NAPA ,usually they have tiny tubes of that kind of thing for a couple of bucks.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rwyma View Post
    Thank you JKM, I did look again in the package and you are right, it is the small pak. Didn't nitice it at first because they were together. But all is good again, and thanks again.
    Well, you beat me to it! Yes, I do include both Thermal Paste and Dielectric grease in my spark plug kits. They are important!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Well, you beat me to it! Yes, I do include both Thermal Paste and Dielectric grease in my spark plug kits. They are important!
    Is this the same stuff they advertise as being for computer heat sinks? I'd like to get the right stuff.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rwyma View Post
    Changing plugs in my 2013 RT and shop manual calls for heat sink paste to be put on plug threads. So my local dealer has the paste, $38.99, enough to do 500 plugs. Have searched locally and no one carries it in small amounts. Radio Shack did but they have shut almost all stores. Question, is this paste really necessary and if so where can you get it locally. Probably on line but will be another week before I can get it going. Frustrated with this machine. Everything is difficult. TIA for any help.
    For many years I have been putting dielectric grease on the top end and antisense on the bottom of the HD.

Spyder Garage

Guys,
    BRP probably means anti seize grease on the spark plug thread, not heat sink paste. You can get the anti seize grease in small package at auto stores for $1 or so. the grease prevents aluminum and steel from bonding to each other. It's a good idea to use that grease on anything that gets hot in an engine, spark plugs, O2 sensors, etc.
    ‘21 Honda Rebel 1100 DTC Burgundy
    ‘13 Spyder RT-L Pearl White

Spyder Garage

NO, BRP DOES NOT MEAN ANTI-SEIZE GREASE ON SPARK PLUGS; THEY MEAN HEAT-SINK PASTE. Read a service manual.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    NO, BRP DOES NOT MEAN ANTI-SEIZE GREASE ON SPARK PLUGS; THEY MEAN HEAT-SINK PASTE. Read a service manual.
    where can i buy the paste?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trong View Post
    Guys,
    BRP probably means anti seize grease on the spark plug thread, not heat sink paste. You can get the anti seize grease in small package at auto stores for $1 or so. the grease prevents aluminum and steel from bonding to each other. It's a good idea to use that grease on anything that gets hot in an engine, spark plugs, O2 sensors, etc.
    The heat sink paste is made to conduct heat. Anti-seize is not. You want to have the thread contact surface between the plug and engine head conduct as much heat as possible to keep the plug from overheating.

Oops, just noticed this is a nearly year old post, but the comment is still relevant nonetheless.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 03-05-2022 at 03:19 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerrell View Post
    where can i buy the paste?
    Any parts store should carry it. I have seen it several in small quantities. Packaged similar to a catsup packet.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange