Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default which way to mount aftermarket shocks?

After having issues with my Elka shocks(leaking oil and noisey clunking internal valving), I am searching for opinions about which is the best orientation to mount aftermarket shocks. I mounted my Elkas with the spring on the top. Now I am thinking it is better to mount them with the spring on the bottom. Here is my reasoning. With the spring mounted on top, the nitrogen gas will be accumulating near the piston seal, which could dry out while sitting and some nitrogen could leak out. With the shock mounted with the spring on the bottom. The oil will settle near the piston seal and have a lesser chance of leaking. Maybe I am overthinking this. I ordered new shocks and want to prevent the same issues I had with my Elkas.
    SHOCK.jpg
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Elka says it makes no difference. But recommend spring down so you can get to the rebound adjustment easily.
    2018 RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

spring up on the m2s

Spyder Garage

Lamonster has a video of a tech from Elka putting shocks on, and exsplains how to adjust and what not, if your interested!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Elka shocks have the rebound adjuster at the bottom if you ever want to adjust them after install. Also, better to reduce un-sprung weight to the minimum.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have mine installed with the rebound adjuster on the top and the schrader valve on the bottom. Springs on top
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    After having issues with my Elka shocks(leaking oil and noisey clunking internal valving), I am searching for opinions about which is the best orientation to mount aftermarket shocks. I mounted my Elkas with the spring on the top. Now I am thinking it is better to mount them with the spring on the bottom. Here is my reasoning. With the spring mounted on top, the nitrogen gas will be accumulating near the piston seal, which could dry out while sitting and some nitrogen could leak out. With the shock mounted with the spring on the bottom. The oil will settle near the piston seal and have a lesser chance of leaking. Maybe I am overthinking this. I ordered new shocks and want to prevent the same issues I had with my Elkas.
    SHOCK.jpg
    Back in 09 I thought it didn't matter .... So after reversing mine on my 08 GS , I soon discovered that it destroyed the shock. Noy all shocks have internal seals that will allow this .... I learned the Hard way .... Your Elka's may be different . ... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wink It depends

Joel -- Ikon says install with adjuster UP.

Due to differing shock designs, there is no general answer to your question. But for the simple gas springs used in our Spyder trunk, seat, etc the recommendation is body down so the nitrogen seal is lubricated. But then again the springs are cheap if you can't install them that way.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-12-2022 at 11:16 PM. Reason: While all can see Thread Titles, Not everyone can see individual post titles! ;-/
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike