Spyder Garage

Default BUDS and BUDS2 questions

Trying to get it clear in my small brain some info about BUDS and BUDS2.

Understandably, BUDS is for earlier Spyders, I believe 2016 and prior.

BUDS2 is a later version. My question, or lack of understanding, will BUDS2 work without BUDS on all year Spyders? Or do you need both versions to work with all model years.

An experienced tech says BUDS2 handles all, however aftermarket suppliers seem to indicate you need both programs.

This is not in regards to the MackDaddy Megatech version, but rather the lesser mechanic version.

Spyder Garage

Good question.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Here is youtube video with answers
    2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    try again

Here is youtube video with answers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bNWUrcNPIU
    2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Here is also the recommended kit and best price I have seen so far
    https://www.powersports-diag.com/en/...hnician_1_year
    2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderJerry View Post
    Tried two different browsers, IE and Google Chrome - that link won't work in either one
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Worked fine on mine

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderJerry View Post
    They may have the best price but their customer service is a little difficult. They are located in Eastern Europe so the time difference and their limited English are hurdles.

BUDS2 will not work on 08 or 09 and may not work on 10’s. BYDS is more user friendly than BUDS2 and works consistently, where BUDS2 from the Europeans frequently crashes or fails to connect.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    They may have the best price but their customer service is a little difficult. They are located in Eastern Europe so the time difference and their limited English are hurdles.

BUDS2 will not work on 08 or 09 and may not work on 10’s. BYDS is more user friendly than BUDS2 and works consistently, where BUDS2 from the Europeans frequently crashes or fails to connect.
    Which one are you and Joe using, BUDS or BUDS II, or does it depend on what MY Spyder you're working on? Is there a reliable US source for BUDS2?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Which one are you and Joe using, BUDS or BUDS II, or does it depend on what MY Spyder you're working on? Is there a reliable US source for BUDS2?
    We use both depending on the Spyder, as I said the original is much easier to use, so I do unless it is a late build 17 or newer. I do not know if a reliable source though.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

To work on all year Spyders, you need both. There is some overlap where both will work on 2013 thru 2016. I use BUDS for all up to 2016 as its far easier to use. BUDS2 for 17 and newer only when I have to.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I have a 2010 rss se5 and I have BUDS.BUDS2 .......BUDS2 will not work on it.......BUDS does but I can not disable DESS or program keys. I was told that to do so I would have to upgrade my DESS module which I have not done

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hadog View Post
    I have a 2010 rss se5 and I have BUDS.BUDS2 .......BUDS2 will not work on it.......BUDS does but I can not disable DESS or program keys. I was told that to do so I would have to upgrade my DESS module which I have not done
    Hello. On Spyder models prior to 2014, we don't use BUDS to program or add additional keys. Nor, can you disable the DESS system. It's a different system. There is no such thing as upgrading your DESS on those model years. That information was BS. If you want to create additional keys that will start your Spyder, the easiest way is to have a locksmith clone your existing key(s). The DESS module won't be able to tell the difference. You buy a blank key with a clone-able transponder chip such as this one. The locksmith may ask you for proof of ownership of the Spyder. Take him the key that works, take him this blank, and a few minutes later you should have a key that is cut for your lock, and has a cloned chip that your DESS system will recognize.

https://mysecuritypro.com/ZD23RT5.aspx

PS - The original thread that you responded to was from 2019. You have been pursuing this topic for a year and a half. I responded to you in hopes that you would finally accept the answer given and the success path forward. Good Luck.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 07-19-2022 at 06:37 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

hi ..... this is exactly what I was thinking.....the service dept where I got the buds system said that is what must be done replace my dess module with a new one...I forget the part numbers....the only problem is that the newer one does not have a connection for the antenna I mentioned this to them and they said it would work....think I will stay clear from this.
    In regards to keys I was able to pickup a master key so I got my key cut and then programed it....I was also able to clone a few keys using a cloning device I got from amazon for 30.00 bucks...