Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post
    I should have stated widely marketed or beginning to be widely accepted.
    http://www.oil4kids.com/syn-hist.htm
    Not a problem. And does not detract from the main theme of whether or not a JASO rated oil is necessary, or even the best way to go, for the Ryker.

I put in a question with the 'Experts' at Amsoil on this subject. They used to give me good information. But these days, what I usually get is just CYA boilerplate like, 'Use what the manufacturer recommends'. OK. I get it. That's the safe way to go. But it doesn't really address the question.

It reminds me of when the Spyder first came out. I replaced the copper core spark plugs with NGK's Iridium IX plugs. It really made a noticeable difference in throttle response, quicker starts and a bit better fuel economy. I said so on this forum and I got the usual flack from some saying that I was not using the recommended spark plug. And I fully understand where these people were coming from.

Then, BRP put out a bulletin saying that the Iridium IX plugs should not be used and were not recommended. But by then, there were enough riders who had installed them that a fair amount of support for the upgrade was expressed.

After all of the push-back by BRP, 2 years later the Spyder started coming out with, you guessed it, Laser Welded Iridium spark plugs from the factory. How about that....

I am not saying the same is true for a friction modified engine oil. But I have yet to hear a logical or mechanical reason for not using what appears to be a better, and less expensive, lubricant in my Ryker. (Not withstanding BRP's recommendation).

But BRP also recommends Kenda tires.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-22-2020 at 08:22 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...