Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post
    I should have stated widely marketed or beginning to be widely accepted.
    http://www.oil4kids.com/syn-hist.htm
    Not a problem. And does not detract from the main theme of whether or not a JASO rated oil is necessary, or even the best way to go, for the Ryker.

I put in a question with the 'Experts' at Amsoil on this subject. They used to give me good information. But these days, what I usually get is just CYA boilerplate like, 'Use what the manufacturer recommends'. OK. I get it. That's the safe way to go. But it doesn't really address the question.

It reminds me of when the Spyder first came out. I replaced the copper core spark plugs with NGK's Iridium IX plugs. It really made a noticeable difference in throttle response, quicker starts and a bit better fuel economy. I said so on this forum and I got the usual flack from some saying that I was not using the recommended spark plug. And I fully understand where these people were coming from.

Then, BRP put out a bulletin saying that the Iridium IX plugs should not be used and were not recommended. But by then, there were enough riders who had installed them that a fair amount of support for the upgrade was expressed.

After all of the push-back by BRP, 2 years later the Spyder started coming out with, you guessed it, Laser Welded Iridium spark plugs from the factory. How about that....

I am not saying the same is true for a friction modified engine oil. But I have yet to hear a logical or mechanical reason for not using what appears to be a better, and less expensive, lubricant in my Ryker. (Not withstanding BRP's recommendation).

But BRP also recommends Kenda tires.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-22-2020 at 08:22 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The only circumstance that I can think of where a upgraded spark plug may have been an issue would be the original Platinum spark plugs on a wasted or dual spark ignition system. This was mitigated when Platinum spark plugs were then made available as double Platinum , as explained in this link:
    https://ngksparkplugs.com/en/resourc...park-ignitions
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post
    The only circumstance that I can think of where a upgraded spark plug may have been an issue would be the original Platinum spark plugs on a wasted or dual spark ignition system. This was mitigated when Platinum spark plugs were then made available as double Platinum , as explained in this link:
    https://ngksparkplugs.com/en/resourc...park-ignitions
    A little of subject. But still interesting. The real issue, and eventual reason for the waste fire systems demise, is that energy always takes the path of least resistance. The exhaust cylinder presented a much easier pathway for the spark to travel than did the cylinder under compression. So, more spark energy was spent on the 'Waste' cylinder. This is why performance tended to deteriorate relatively quickly on waste fire applications. I know my Honda 750 was this way. One of the best upgrades to that motor was to convert it to a dedicated coil for each cylinder. You would still have 2 coils firing at the same time. 1 to waste and the other to compression. But at least each spark plug was getting 100% ignition spark every time.

Those were the days! I remember many saying that a 750 cc motorcycle was ridiculously large. No one needed an engine that big!

Now I own a Suzuki M109R (1800 cc). And it's becoming a middle of the road size what with the Rocket and other larger displacement engines out there. And we're not even discussing the Boss Hoss!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-24-2020 at 01:38 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    A little of subject. But still interesting. The real issue, and eventual reason for the waste fire systems demise is that energy always takes the path of least resistance. The exhaust cylinder presented a much easier pathway for the spark to travel than did the cylinder under compression. So, more spark energy was spent on the 'Waste' cylinder. This is why performance tended to deteriorate relatively quickly on waste fire applications. I know my Honda 750 was this way. One of the best upgrades to that motor was to convert it to a dedicated coil for each cylinder. You would still have 2 coils firing at the same time. 1 to waste and the other to compression. But at least each spark plug was getting 100% ignition spark every time.

Those were the days! I remember many saying that a 750 cc motorcycle was ridiculously large. No one needed an engine that big!

Now I own a Suzuki M109R (1800 cc). And it's becoming a middle of the road size what with the Rocket and other larger displacement engines out there. And we're not even discussing the Boss Hoss!
    My first truck was a Ford Courier (Mazda) with an 1800 cc motor. It lacked the performance of your Suzuki
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tslepebull View Post
    My first truck was a Ford Courier (Mazda) with an 1800 cc motor. It lacked the performance of your Suzuki
    My Suzuki is a BEAST!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    My Suzuki is a BEAST!
    It should be with the equivalent displacement of TWO Ace 900's!
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow