Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member Martin Slovakia's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Vee tire or Kumho Ecsta

Hi guys,
    Trying to buy new rear tire for TheBeast, and since TOYO t1r are super hard to find, i have 2 options i have found in US, and i eould like to kindly ask you about your opinion.

Something that is called Vee tire...
    https://www.amazon.com/Vee-Rubber-VT...resh=1&sr=8-11

Or Kumho Ecsta, but it says its all season tire, so not sure if it will be not super hard...?
    https://www.amazon.com/Kumho-Ecsta-K...fresh=1&sr=8-3

Any experience with any of those 2?
    And just FYI, i cannot rYde different diameter only 225/50 15 because of bloody law in Slovakia

Spyder Garage

Martin, in my experience, & I believe that of many others here too, those Arachnid Vee-Rubber tires are just NOT great tires... in fact, they aren't even mildly good tires!! They are simply clones of the OE Spec Kendas, many would probably say poor clones at that!! So if you want tires that are any better &/or longer lasting than the Kendas, forget about the Arachnid's!

The Kumho Ecsta's ARE an All Season tire, but don't let that scare you - I chose them BECAUSE they are an All Season tire and I ride in all weather, on the black top and the dirt, and we get the full range here in Aus - sure, lotsa pretty hot & dry weather, but also our share of damp & wet roads, the occasional toad drowning downpours, the odd flood, and even a little snow & ice at times! So for my 2 bob's worth, the All Season Kumho's are a tire brand & type that I've run quite successfully here in Aus, and they are pretty good in all weather conditions & on all road surfaces (altho we don't have all that many miles of hi-speed concrete.... ) And they do that especially IF you manage your tire pressures appropriately to keep the tires at their ideal working temps as they age. (Mind you, our 'snow & ice conditions' probably don't ever get quite as cold or deep as yours! But they still worked pretty well, even on black ice - if I was travelling slow enough - and I kept ryding pretty safely well beyond where the Kenda equipped Spyders just 'ceased to proceed', let alone travel safely! )

They are made with different sections/strips of compounds across the tread face to optimise traction & wear resistance under all driving/riding conditions, hard cornering, braking etc; as well as different 'layers' of compounds in the tread depth as that wears, so that as they age they tend to get a little harder. To help maintain their 'stickiness' & wet road grip, hydroplaning resistance etc at the best possible level throughout their entire life, you might need to progressively drop your tire pressures a touch as they age. But that usually only starts happening after about 20-25,000 kms, so you progressively set the pressure a little lower over the next 20-25,000 km to an overall max reduction of about 2psi lower than your ideal pressure when they were brand new.... I started at about 18 psi on the rear & ended up at about 16 psi almost 40,000 km later, and only replaced the rear tire then because I was heading off on a 10K trip - still had some more good kms in it. But even if you don't bother dropping your tire pressures as the tires age, whilever my Kumho's had tread left, they out-performed the Kendas both on the road under any/all conditions and on the track & skid pan while I was testing wet & dry handling & traction.

I'm still running 175/60R15 Kumho's up front on my 2013 RT now (like most tires, they last really well up front!) and the only reason I'm not still running a Kumho on the rear is because I've been asked to test a couple of other tires.... but I've got a new Kumho just waiting to go back on once I've finished! Of course, your ryding surfaces & conditions might be significantly different and YMMV, but I really don't think you'll be too disappointed with anything besides the Kendas (or their Arachnid clones)! All the best whatever your tire choice!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-20-2019 at 07:13 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Have tried something like this online source? https://www.tires-easy.com/

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

i put a kuhmo on mine, i really can't tell any difference from the stock kenda.
    2015 rs

Spyder Garage

Kenda has released a new kenda designed replacement tire for our spyders. the oem kendas are made to canam specs. the tire is KANINE KR20 and sizes are front 165/55r15 rear 225/55r15. Saw the tires at the aime expo in Columbus in Sept. See them on the kenda site price unknown.

Spyder Garage

General altimax RT43 is what many riders use

Spyder Garage

He has to stick to 225/50-15

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I have the kumho ecsta 225/50r/15 I have it because I want to keep stock size. My preference. It's a good tire. My last bike 2015 RTS I had 10,000 miles on it and still had half tread left. Probably would get close to 20,000 on it. It handles good in most conditions. Heavy rain at 60 + MPH you may get some hydroplaning on some road surfaces. I dont ride in snow. All in all a good tire with good tire life. Vee Rubber I would not buy.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

I have the Kumho on my RT. I like and it handled great on a long ride in heavy rain at highway speeds. Will go with it again when this one wears out.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

If those are your only choices go with the Kumho. The Vee Rubber tire is junk.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I bought this one from Amazon for $86.33, the tread pattern looks almost identical to the Kenda I removed.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Same as Peter A, I have the Kuhmo Ecsta out here in Aus, Martin. It’s strange, but we don’t appear to have the issue that some report about their wet handling in the US. Not sure if it is road surface or what it is. Mine is very solid in all conditions.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    I bought this one from Amazon for $86.33, the tread pattern looks almost identical to the Kenda I removed.
    Just a caution …. LOOKS …. mean nothing,( with very few exceptions ie.racing etc.) it's the rubber compounds and overall construction that determine if the tire has good/great traction...… good luck … Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Same as Peter A, I have the Kuhmo Ecsta out here in Aus, Martin. It’s strange, but we don’t appear to have the issue that some report about their wet handling in the US. Not sure if it is road surface or what it is. Mine is very solid in all conditions.

Pete
    Peteoz, is your Kumho original size? where in Oz can we get them and have them fitted. I Have an 18 f3 ltd and the rear is stuffed with only easy 6500 km, dealer warns me there are no other replacements beside Kendas and would have difficulties with warranty claims. What say you!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    Peteoz, is your Kumho original size? where in Oz can we get them and have them fitted. I Have an 18 f3 ltd and the rear is stuffed with only easy 6500 km, dealer warns me there are no other replacements beside Kendas and would have difficulties with warranty claims. What say you!
    Airborne, you used to jump out of perfectly good airplanes, right? Using a non-OEM tire involves much less risk. Seriously.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    If those are your only choices go with the Kumho. The Vee Rubber tire is junk.
    I totally agree with Ann.
    I tried a Vee Rubber tire and with 80 to 90% tread left I through it away.
    I have a Kumho on right now, 2nd one I've used and happy with it.
    Pretty good all around tire, not bad in the rain but can be sketchy in heavy rain!
    Like you not a great choice of tires in Canada.
    My next tire will be Toyo Proxes 4 225/50 R15
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Mine is a 205/55, Airborne. My local tyre shop ordered it (and fronts) in, but that was a couple of years ago. I got the 205 simply because it was in stock at the supplier at the time. Fitting is a whole other matter. I am unaware of Spyder (or other) shop near me in Port Macquarie who will remove and replace the rear with other than a Kenda, so I took off the fronts and rears and my local tyre shop swapped them over. It is not difficult and there are a few videos on how to do it on different models. If I had my “druthers”, I would get a dealer to do the job, but I was uncomfortable on the Kendas so I swapped them out after 2000kms. The changeover had NOTHING to do with cheaper running costs.

As far as warranty, or anything else, most dealers are simply toeing the BRP line. The Spyder has J type rims, which are designated for car and small truck tyres. They are NOT for motorcycle tyres, which is why BRP have had to label the Kenda as “special motorcycle” tyres. Yes, there is always the chance that your dealer might try and ping you for not having Kuhmo if something goes wrong, and try to blame the tyres, but I have never heard of this on happening ANY US or Aussie forum.

The fact that your dealer said there were no choices other than Kenda, and did not at least mention Vee (Arachnid....although they are little better than Kenda), makes you question his Spyder knowledge anyway. So unfortunately, it’s your call. Are you comfortable taking the rear wheel off and reinstalling? Are you comfortable running a non dealer recommended tyre, as it “could” cause you grief with warranty, insurance etc (even though that has never happened anywhere that I am aware of). If the answer to either of those questions is “no”, then you will have to stick to the two options provided by BRP and wear your short tyre life. However, it would be well worthwhile asking the question on the Aussie Spyder sites re shops that will swap for car tyre, as they ARE out there, and one may be near you.

Sorry, that was a bit long winded as I have been reading too many of a Peter A’s posts, but I hope it provide some insight, albeit from my perspective

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks mate, took what you say and agree, i'll start the process. Thanks AB

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Airborne, you used to jump out of perfectly good airplanes, right? Using a non-OEM tire involves much less risk. Seriously.
    UtahPete, like the way you put it, made the thing more understandable for poor dumb Airborne Grunts like myself. Looking for non-oem as we speak!

Spyder Garage

UtahPete, like the way you put it, made the thing more understandable for poor dumb Airborne Grunts like myself. Looking for non-oem as we speak!
    In the event you like to have your speedometer and odometer closer to reality, take a look at sizes that will help with that. My experience with all vehicles has been the speedometers are always optimistic from 3% to as much as 6% from the factory. I think there must be some kind of liability issues or even regulatory issues with that. Anyway, a 215/60 is 1.61% larger than OEM and a 205/65 is 2.91% larger. With the ~3% error that was in my 2014 RTL the 205/65 I installed now has my speedometer almost spot on at 75mph with actual speed at 74.5 when checked against GPS. (an yes, I have checked it multiple times with two different GPS units on long flat stretches of hiway.)

Spyder Garage

i don't know if you even have them there, but if you do, check around with independent powersports dealers, i found one here in tn that changed my tire mount and balance align belt and all for a good price.
    2015 rs

Spyder Garage

Martin,

Since you say that law requires you to keep the diameter the same maybe any 50 size would meet that requirement. Look at size 205/50R15 there are a number of very good tires in that size.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Martin,

Since you say that law requires you to keep the diameter the same maybe any 50 size would meet that requirement. Look at size 205/50R15 there are a number of very good tires in that size.
    Except that a 205/50 is 3.06% smaller diameter than a 225/50.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    Except that a 205/50 is 3.06% smaller diameter than a 225/50.
    I agree, but if his countries law reads that if it has a 50 ratio tire and it has to be a 50 ratio tire put back on then he can use any 50 ratio tire regardless of width. We are currently running a 205/50R15 on my wife's F3L with great results.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

"i cannot rYde different diameter only 225/50 15 because of bloody law in Slovakia"