Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    "i cannot rYde different diameter only 225/50 15 because of bloody law in Slovakia"
    How does their law define Diameter? By the number on the tire, or by the actual diameter?
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    How does their law define Diameter? By the number on the tire, or by the actual diameter?
    Have no idea but the second number on the tire is not the diameter, but does affect the diameter. It is an indication of sidewall height expressed as a percentage of the width. A 225/50 has a sidewall height of 112.5mm.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Slovakia View Post
    Hi guys,
    Trying to buy new rear tire for TheBeast, and since TOYO t1r are super hard to find, i have 2 options i have found in US, and i eould like to kindly ask you about your opinion.

Something that is called Vee tire...
    https://www.amazon.com/Vee-Rubber-VT...resh=1&sr=8-11

Or Kumho Ecsta, but it says its all season tire, so not sure if it will be not super hard...?
    https://www.amazon.com/Kumho-Ecsta-K...fresh=1&sr=8-3

Any experience with any of those 2?
    And just FYI, i cannot rYde different diameter only 225/50 15 because of bloody law in Slovakia
    https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    My experience with all vehicles has been the speedometers are always optimistic from 3% to as much as 6% from the factory. I think there must be some kind of liability issues or even regulatory issues with that.
    Right, International law or regulation, or whatever. No speedometer from the factory is permitted to show a speed less than actual speed but instead must show a speed of 0% to 10% above actual speed. I don't remember what the tie-in is to a non-OEM tire size that may be installed. I posted the reg here a few years ago. It's nap time and I don't want to go to the bother of finding the post. Sorry.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Right, International law or regulation, or whatever. No speedometer from the factory is permitted to show a speed less than actual speed but instead must show a speed of 0% to 10% above actual speed. I don't remember what the tie-in is to a non-OEM tire size that may be installed. I posted the reg here a few years ago. It's nap time and I don't want to go to the bother of finding the post. Sorry.
    I'm good then. Mine is reading about 1% faster than actual speed.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billhouser View Post
    Kenda has released a new kenda designed replacement tire for our spyders. the oem kendas are made to canam specs. the tire is KANINE KR20 and sizes are front 165/55r15 rear 225/55r15. Saw the tires at the aime expo in Columbus in Sept. See them on the kenda site price unknown.
    Does anyone have any experience or comments on these new Kenda KANINE KR 20's? I know this is a question for a dealer, but I'm wondering if it will be possible to have them installed on a new 2020 instead of the "stock" Kendas? I"m planning to meet with a dealer in the next few weeks to hopefully spec out a 2020 RT Limited, and will ask this question at that time.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by japgen View Post
    Does anyone have any experience or comments on these new Kenda KANINE KR 20's? I know this is a question for a dealer, but I'm wondering if it will be possible to have them installed on a new 2020 instead of the "stock" Kendas? I"m planning to meet with a dealer in the next few weeks to hopefully spec out a 2020 RT Limited, and will ask this question at that time.
    When you buy your 2020 spyder Tires are not an option.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Default Kanine KR20 sizes are the same as the OEM sizes.

Kenda has released a new kenda designed replacement tire for our spyders. the oem kendas are made to canam specs. the tire is KANINE KR20 and sizes are front 165/55r15 rear 225/55r15. Saw the tires at the aime expo in Columbus in Sept. See them on the kenda site price unknown.
    Just an observation; on the Kenda webpage https://powersports.kendatire.com/en...street/kanine/ the KANINE KR20 sizes shown are the same as the Can-Am supplied sizes: FRONT = 165/55R15 55H; REAR = 225/50R15 76H.

Also, if I Google "Kenda Kanine KR20", I get several listings of dealers that sell the Kanine KR20. I also noticed that their prices vary wildly.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Just an observation; on the Kenda webpage https://powersports.kendatire.com/en...street/kanine/ the KANINE KR20 sizes shown are the same as the Can-Am supplied sizes: FRONT = 165/55R15 55H; REAR = 225/50R15 76H.

Also, if I Google "Kenda Kanine KR20", I get several listings of dealers that sell the Kanine KR20. I also noticed that their prices vary wildly.
    Thanks for this info …..however I'm not impressed with either tires weight carrying capabilities, moreso the fronts …...jmho ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

No idea about the new Kenda quality, but this sounds like a good price (when they're available) . $162/ for three tires
    https://www.motosport.com/product/?c...689276&variant[KDAA009]=KDAA009-X001-Y001&variant[KDAA00A]=KDAA00A-X001-Y001

** Just heard back from the above vendor. These tires have not yet been released, and they have no ETA for them **

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Thanks for this info …..however I'm not impressed with either tires weight carrying capabilities, moreso the fronts …...jmho ….. Mike
    Kenda KR20 Kanine Quote ''greater mileage than stock, better handling than car tire replacements''. The question is which car tyre? Vee-Rubber-VT MAYBE.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Something to consider ...Yes this tire is made by KENDA …… but nowhere does it say that BRP recommends it, nor sanctions it for use on Spyders ….. Kenda has already made ( for a few years now ) AUTO tires that will fit the Spyders - but BRP doesn't sanction those either..... I would like to see EXACTLY what is printed on the sidewall of this tire …… Mike

Very Active Member Martin Slovakia's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Yep, its pretty primitive. they check your papers to see the allowed tire sizes - or new modern way is that they check it electronically what you have in system, and they compare it to what you have written on tire.
    In summer I have had one issue, where they took my license plate and papers because of 16ich PPA wheels instead of 15, and I cannot moved the bike, not by an inch. do i have to tell you that my garage was 500m from the spot. and I CANNOT MOVE THE BIKE, because according to POLICE, i willput mi life and others ppl life in danger by using 16ich that are not written in the papers versus 15inch... yup...

Very Active Member Martin Slovakia's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

dear All,
    thank you for all of your infos. I went with the KUMHO all season. price was about 85$ which is great.
    thank you again,
    M.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Slovakia View Post
    Yep, its pretty primitive. they check your papers to see the allowed tire sizes - or new modern way is that they check it electronically what you have in system, and they compare it to what you have written on tire.
    In summer I have had one issue, where they took my license plate and papers because of 16ich PPA wheels instead of 15, and I cannot moved the bike, not by an inch. do i have to tell you that my garage was 500m from the spot. and I CANNOT MOVE THE BIKE, because according to POLICE, i willput mi life and others ppl life in danger by using 16ich that are not written in the papers versus 15inch... yup...
    What did you have to do to resolve that issue Martin?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Just an update about the Kenda Kanine KR20 tires -
    I contacted Kenda to ask how the KR20 tires are different from the BRP provided tires; here's the response I got:

"Hey Larry,

The Kanine’s have a little bit harder compound. They will last a little longer, but the traction will be a little less.

You have to sacrifice traction vs. longevity.

We do not recommend putting car tires on your Spyder. They may last longer, but it could be dangerous, as they are not made for your vehicle.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
    Jason Baldwin
    Director of Powersports
    American Kenda Rubber Industrial Co., LTD
    614-729-7878 Direct
    614-866-9803 Main
    614-866-9805 Fax
    "

My only comment is that I noticed there is no comment about plies or construction; only about rubber compound.

Spyder Garage

Kanine looks like an interesting choice.
    Can this offering from Kenda improve their reputation in the Spyder community? Who will be first?
    Based on price alone, I say they aren't any better.... All three tires for 162... ???
    https://www.motosport.com/product/?adpos=1o1&cc=us&creative=273284396618&device=c&gc lid=CjwKCAiAi4fwBRBxEiwAEO8_HsBhiam-cF46VI24ps4-0MNonzVodygtNRDQMFjcknFVBVbtpbT17BoCpUEQAvD_BwE&gc lsrc=aw.ds&key=Kenda-KR20-Kanine-Tire-Combo&matchtype=&mrkgadid=3293836561&mrkgcl=500&ne twork=g&product_id=KDAA00B-X001-Y001&pssource=true&rkg_id=0&segment=badger-street&variant=KDAA00B-X001-Y001&variant[KDAA009]=KDAA009-X001-Y001&variant[KDAA00A]=KDAA00A-X001-Y001

Spyder Garage

Individual prices here. The fronts are pretty cheap !
    Front: https://www.motosport.com/kenda-kr20...t-tire?variant[KDAA009]=KDAA009-X001-Y001
    Rear: https://www.motosport.com/kenda-kr20...r-tire?variant[KDAA00A]=KDAA00A-X001-Y001

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

So why is Motosport saying they are designed specifically for the can am spyder and Kenda is saying no they are dangerous to put on the spyder.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    So why is Motosport saying they are designed specifically for the can am spyder and Kenda is saying no they are dangerous to put on the spyder.
    I don't believe the Kenda rep was referring to them as car tires. Kenda states that they are MC spec'd.
    https://powersports.kendatire.com/en...street/kanine/

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Hey Martin...order some toyo Proxes 4...the model number is 197310...look on ebay...you will find them....the way you ride...order TWO of them...take care.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    I don't believe the Kenda rep was referring to them as car tires. Kenda states that they are MC spec'd.
    https://powersports.kendatire.com/en...street/kanine/

Sorry I read that email wrong. Kenda meant car tires are dangerous. I do wonder if the new tire will still wear in the middle. Time will tell.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post

"[I]Hey Larry,
    The Kanine’s have a little bit harder compound. They will last a little longer, but the traction will be a little less.
    You have to sacrifice traction vs. longevity.
    Thanks,
    Jason Baldwin
    Director of Powersports
    American Kenda Rubber Industrial Co., LTD
    Hmmmmm. Interesting, Larry....thanks..... In my opinion, the only thing that could make the stock Kendas any worse, would be to reduce their grip by putting harder rubber on them. So, with all the comments on here and other sites re the poor manufacturing quality of the Kenda, resulting in difficult balancing, uneven wear, poor mileage etc, Kenda chose to only change the hardness of the tread?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You suppose the Kanine is a desperate effort by Kenda to capture back the after market business they see going to car tires and keep BRP satisfied at the same time?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Dunno what Kenda &/or BRP are going on about with their 'unique to them made up/not referred to or recognised in or by any legislation anywhere that I can find for any Country' Special Motor Cycle tire labelling, but here in Australia that 'Special' label isn't recognised as anything much more than a decoration and besides, here in Oz, it is ILLEGAL for ANYONE to fit a Motorcycle Tire onto a J type Car Rim & use it on road... ie, you aren't allowed to fit ANY Motorcycle tire onto the Rims our Spyders actually run!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!