Spyder Garage

Default Ryker Engine Oil Level Check, Gearbox Oil Check Gauge

The following day after checking the engine oil level The Proper Way (good), I got curious to see where the oil was on the dip stick with the engine cold and not even started. The oil was 1/8 to 1/4" up from the very bottom tip of dip stick. I'm wondering if it's good to call this a pre ride check. I certainly would not eliminate the proper way to check it. But if there was no oil on dip stick while cold I would make sure to do a 9 miler only, after checking for leaks down under, to check level correctly.
    I've also read, can't remember where, the oil in the gearbox WHEN COLD should be 3mm below the oil level check hole. When very warm the oil should be up even to the bottom edge of the oil level check hole. To check this I thought of using a "J" bend bicycle spoke. (normal spoke) I would place the spoke with the bend in to the level check hole, resting on the bottom of the hole, with the bend facing down. The cold oil should cover the mushroomed larger diameter of the spoke only. Not up to the bottom side of the long straight area of spoke (ok if oil is warmed up). I haven't tried this yet though, my Ryker is hibernating now. I can hear the beast snoring out in the shed from here.

Spyder Garage

Yes you could check that way but for me it would be pointless as it is not correct. Mine didn't need any oil the last 6,000 miles between oil changes. I only check it about once a month now. I do clean my mirrors and take a quick look at the tires every time I ride. And with cold temperatures I know I will I need to add a little air for the drop in pressures with cold. However if it works for you go for it.