Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Buying a new Ryker Rally - any MUST HAVE accessories to get right from the start?

Brand new to the Spyderlovers forum so sorry if this is a repetitive question. I just took my 3-wheel class a week ago & I'm just about to pull the trigger on a new Ryker Rally and was going to buy some accessories that I thought were almost "must haves" but after reading some other posts here, lots of people are recommending to just leave it stock and ride it for 500-1000 miles and then start thinking about making upgrades, so now I'm not sure. For those that have owned Rykers for awhile, what are your thoughts on the following upgrades - both whether they're worth getting at all, and if so, if they're worth getting up front with the Ryker or later after I get used to my Ryker:

1. Driver Comfort Seat

2. Windscreen (probably looking at F4 windscreen)

3. Parking Brake Locking Kit - how necessary is this really?

4. Sport Grips - the puffy top ones

5. Radiator Protector Kit - is the aluminum upgrade worth it? How banged up does your lower grille get?

So my question is: Are any of those accessories that would really improve the experience from the very start? And are any of them worth paying to have the dealer install or can they all be purchased and easily installed on your own?

Last question: what about the extra 3 year B.E.S.T. warranty? The dealer quoted $950 and that seemed high to me - do you have to buy the extended warranty when you buy the Ryker or can you buy it later? And do you have to buy it from the dealer you plan to use for service or can you buy it from any dealer?

Thanks again for dealing with the newbie questions!!

Spyder Garage

I bought my rally with 1000 miles on it... it came with the driver comfort seat, windscreen, and parking brake locking kit but I will do my best to answer your questions

1 Driver Comfort seat - I like the comfort seat and would recommend it but have never ridden on any other ryker seat so I cant say for sure. Honestly if i was buying new, I would probably not buy the comfort seat and instead try out the stock seat and if I wanted an upgrade look to an aftermarket maker.

2 Windscreen - this can be personal and based on preference and riding style. If you know you like windscreens just get one. Can am has a couple options and there are many other aftermarket options.

3. Parking brake locking kit. My ryker came with one and I would absolutely get it right away. Its crazy that it doesnt come with it from the factory. Without it anyone can just come along and take your ryker out of park and push it away.

4. Sport grips - My bike came with the added aftermarket foam grips that went on over the regular grips.. I personally hated them and cut them off. My hands just went numb. I have heard the sport grips are quite nice and plan on getting them myself but this is probably not necessary to do immediately.

5. Radiator protector kit - I personally dont have this and have had no issues... but if i was riding more on dirt/gravel roads, i would probably look into something like this. Only you can tell where you will be riding.

Personally I would get the parking lock and a windscreen from the start. The lock because its necessary and a windscreen because I like them.

Last question - Your ryker should come with a 1 year warranty.. I believe you can add on the B.E.S.T warranty anytime during the initial 1 year warranty. I believe most people recommend iMotorsports for the B.E.S.T. Warranty as its $670-ish if i remember what others have said. My 1 year warranty had expired so I was not able to add on extra so I can help much with pricing there.

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the forum. I purchased my Ryker 900 ACE last June. It came with the sport windshield, MAX mount, and passenger seat and back rest.

I ditched the windshield it came with and went with the F4 Custom Windshield. Spendy but worth the money.

I added the parking brake lock along with a locking gas cap.

I think the 3 year BEST warranty quoted by your dealer is a little too high. Check with iMotorsports. I got mine through them last year, $621.00. You don't have to purchase the warrant right away, but you MUST purchase it before the normal 2 year Can Am one expires or your out of luck.

I love my Ryker and have put over 8,000 miles on it since I purchased it, not even a year ago.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Sorry for the duplicate post. Could not delete this post. Maybe one of the moderators can remove this one.

Spyder Garage

I agree as far as not jumping into too much too quickly. I bought mine used and had the BRP windscreen and comfort seat and a few other add-ons. The windscreen is sub-par at best, but I like the seat. It is a good upgrade from the standard and I don't have much natural "cushion" to help soften the ride. I wouldn't do much else until you put some miles on it. I have the locking parking brake, but never use it as I have stayed local and do not worry about someone stealing it. If I was on the road away from home, it might be more important. I find the locking gas cap to be a pain to carry another key for. Other considerations I would consider as important are LED headlights and enhancing the forward/reverse lever operation with one of the many options that are out there.

Dreyer Honda Can Am in Indianapolis sells the BEST warranty for the same price as iMotorsports. I am not as enamored with iMotorsports as many here are, and Dreyer is more local, even though I probably would take my ride to Maximum Powersports in Peru, Indiana for warranty work. If you decide to buy from Dreyer, talk to Missy. I think the Ryker has a one year warranty as standard. Some of the early buyers got two years for pre-ordering.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3WheelFred View Post
    Brand new to the Spyderlovers forum so sorry if this is a repetitive question. I just took my 3-wheel class a week ago & I'm just about to pull the trigger on a new Ryker Rally and was going to buy some accessories that I thought were almost "must haves" but after reading some other posts here, lots of people are recommending to just leave it stock and ride it for 500-1000 miles and then start thinking about making upgrades, so now I'm not sure. For those that have owned Rykers for awhile, what are your thoughts on the following upgrades - both whether they're worth getting at all, and if so, if they're worth getting up front with the Ryker or later after I get used to my Ryker:

1. Driver Comfort Seat

2. Windscreen (probably looking at F4 windscreen)

3. Parking Brake Locking Kit - how necessary is this really?

4. Sport Grips - the puffy top ones

5. Radiator Protector Kit - is the aluminum upgrade worth it? How banged up does your lower grille get?

So my question is: Are any of those accessories that would really improve the experience from the very start? And are any of them worth paying to have the dealer install or can they all be purchased and easily installed on your own?

Last question: what about the extra 3 year B.E.S.T. warranty? The dealer quoted $950 and that seemed high to me - do you have to buy the extended warranty when you buy the Ryker or can you buy it later? And do you have to buy it from the dealer you plan to use for service or can you buy it from any dealer?

Thanks again for dealing with the newbie questions!!

1 Ride it for a while with the stock seat.

2 Windscreen is a must if Highway riding. Wife has the stock and it works but they have others now aftermarket that look better.

3 I say get it. Very simple to install if you have a drill and correct bit.

4 Stock grips work for my wife

5 I bought 1/4 inch screen and attached it to the front plastic on the back side. Hell of a lot cheaper than factory. Painted to match her yellow.

6 Look at the Baja Ron Sway Bar. I normally suggest riding it a bit, but to be honest the ride is much better with it so buy it now and get it over with.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the responses! After all the input I think I might just get the parking brake lock installed when they build it & get everything else later.

If I go back to the dealer and tell them "I think I'm going to shop around for a better price on the BEST warranty" that shouldn't affect the quality of service I get should it? The dealer shouldn't care where I got bought the extended warranty as long as I have it after the first year- sure they'll lose out on a couple hundred bucks but that's what happens when they mark it up so much.

Dakotaz - I was talking about the aluminum lower radiator grille (part #:219400999) - it replaces the plastic silver accent piece on the lower grille under the radiator - seemed like a good idea but nothing I need right away

Leaning towards the F4 windscreen I've seen posts about - I like the look & the coverage is better than either of the BRP models and it looks like it's a simple, solid attachment.

Now I can't wait to go give the dealer my money so I can get my Ryker!!

Spyder Garage

Just got mine. I’m installing the grill guard today. But I’m doing it for the custom look- adding color to the grill. I’m also installing the sway bar and links today. I don’t plan to leave my bike unattended for very long. I’m not worried about theft. I’m sure it happens but out in the sticks people don’t even lock their front doors to their homes. I don’t worry much about people stealing things. If I lived in the city I might though

Spyder Garage

Huggytree - did your Ryker come w/ a silver plastic accent piece on the lower grille? My dealer wasn't sure if that comes standard on the 21 Rallys or not.

And are you sticking with the stock seat?

Spyder Garage

Yea silver accent
    Keeping factory seat for now. It seems thick.
    I did add the passenger seat last weekend.

Think about adding the Windshield hard. Imo it changes the look of the bike from a sport racer look to a gentle cruiser type.
    I don’t care for the look. If I were to get one I’d want one that can be removed easily. For daily driving leave it off. For long cruises put it on. To each his own. You gotta make the bike how you like it

Spyder Garage

Huggy - were you saying you don't like the look of the F4 windscreen? Did you go w/ one of the BRP ones or an easily (?) removable one like the MadStad ones that SlingMods sells?

I really don't like the smaller BRP one (the "Sport") but the bigger Adventure windscreen isn't horrible I guess

Spyder Garage

I’m not getting a windscreen. I feel it changes the look and style of the bike

I like how it looks from the factory

Form over function for me

I understand a wind screen makes the bike nicer to ride. But imo you change the style of the bike by adding it. If you like that style change great.

Spyder Garage

Part of what I liked about the F4 windscreen is that it looks like it would be easy to take on & take off - just 4 bolts

Spyder Garage

I hear you Huggy - I don't have any plans to be getting on the highway anytime soon, so I won't "need" a windscreen...but I will want to work up to long rides someday & I'm sure I will have to get on the freeways for work now & then

Spyder Garage

Just my opinion, but I don't like the look of the BRP Adventure screen with the inner deflector screen. Just looks like someone's afterthought to me. Wish they would have just put in an adjustable vent instead. I like the looks of the F4, but thinking I would like some adjustability up and down and angle and quick removal, like the Madstadt one. I would like to see one in person before pulling the trigger.

Spyder Garage

Boilermaker - same here! I'm hoping I can some local Ryker riders (Ryders?) that have any of the aftermarket windscreens so I can see them in person before I order one. I do like the adjustability and claimed easy removal of the Madstadts, but I also like the simplicity of the F4 - only 4 bolts, so nothing to shift or come lose at high speeds - that's always my concern with adjustable windscreens. And 4 bolts sounds like a pretty quick on/off process to me...

Spyder Garage

"Buying a new Ryker Rally - any MUST HAVE accessories to get right from the start?"

#1 - Plenty of time to Ryde!
    #2 - I don't think the parking brake lock is a big deal. But to each his own.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

"Buying a new Ryker Rally - any MUST HAVE accessories to get right from the start?"

absolut nothing - ryde the first 1.000 miles and you will find out if there is something missing ...
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

I finally got out today to ride mine. 55-65 without a windshield is no biggie. 75-85 you feel like your gonna fly away the wind is so heavy. . It is a bit windy here today too. I’d guess you get used to the wind. If I got a windshield I’d only bring it out when I’m planning highway driving

Spyder Garage

A windscreen protects you from a lot more than wind, especially here in Florida where we have some bugs the size of birds. We also have two lovebug seasons here, and for those of you that are not familiar, below is what lovebugs look like without a windscreen. Lastly, have you ever been hit by a small rock slung off the wheel of another vehicle on the interstate, or even a rock at 40 MPH, it can be devastating. I'd much rather have a busted windscreen, which I've had happen in the past on one of my bikes. Also, during the winter, a windscreen will extend your ride times, especially on longer trips. And as mentioned above, a windscreen also extends your ride times by preventing premature fatigue from having to hang on for dear life against a constant prolonged wind blast at higher speeds. Just too many positives for me to give up for a so called cool look.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

RykerRick -

I definitely plan on getting a windscreen before too long. I’m not a big fan of the two BRP ones so I’m debating between one of the Madstadt removable ones or the F4 windscreen.

And I’ve experienced love bug season in a car - yeah it’s nuts...never seen so many dead bugs on my car!

Spyder Garage

Just bought the Adventure windscreen for my wife's Rally. Haven't gotten it yet just ordered yesterday. I like the F4 a lot but needed the smaller one which isn't available yet, been waiting for several months now. The Can Am adventure has a 30 day return policy and F4 has no return policy. So we went with the Adventure, will see how it goes.

Spyder Garage

I am a new Ryker owner also. Have the Rally. I immediately put on the F4 windshield...live in Pacific NW and need windshield to help with rain and wind control. Personally, I decided I wanted the safety a windshield gives me.

Also am adding Baja Ron links. Did not go with whole sway bar. But definitely the links as I ride alot of curvy country roads. Biggest safety addition is a good horn. After reading forum, I went with Wola Horn full blast high and low tone.. . added comfort seat and back rest . Have ordered from Slingmode the bigger brake pedal because my hubby hates the small brake pedal.
    d

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerRick View Post
    A windscreen protects you from a lot more than wind, especially here in Florida where we have some bugs the size of birds. We also have two lovebug seasons here, and for those of you that are not familiar, below is what lovebugs look like without a windscreen. Lastly, have you ever been hit by a small rock slung off the wheel of another vehicle on the interstate, or even a rock at 40 MPH, it can be devastating. I'd much rather have a busted windscreen, which I've had happen in the past on one of my bikes. Also, during the winter, a windscreen will extend your ride times, especially on longer trips. And as mentioned above, a windscreen also extends your ride times by preventing premature fatigue from having to hang on for dear life against a constant prolonged wind blast at higher speeds. Just too many positives for me to give up for a so called cool look.
    Rick, are you wearing a half helmet, 3/4 or full helmet? I’m looking into the perfect windshield that will allow me to wear a half helmet, or so that’s my hope.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TIMEMACHINE View Post
    Rick, are you wearing a half helmet, 3/4 or full helmet? I’m looking into the perfect windshield that will allow me to wear a half helmet, or so that’s my hope.
    I wear a full face modular helmet. I opted for the Sport windscreen because I dont like looking through a windscreen, I prefer to look over it, plus I got the dealer to throw it into the deal with some other accessories. If I was wearing a half helmet, I'd probably go with a little larger screen. The wind blockage with the Sport is primarily from the neck & chest area, it does throw most of the wind blast over the top of the helmet, but you definitely feel the wind on your face, which is fine for me because I like that feeling, its always been part of the riding experience for me that I enjoy.

There's a few aftermarket windscreens out there that other members have on their machines, most are too large for what I want, but maybe they will chime in on effectiveness of their screens. BRP/Can Am just came out with a little larger windscreen than the Sport (called Adventure Adjustable Windshield). I will be trying that one out when its time to replace this one, maybe even sooner. It uses the same mount as the Sport, so I will only have to order the screen, its $100 less that way.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition