Spyder Garage

Default Deleting your own post ???

Assuming that someone (other than me...) wrote a post that they wanted to self-censor...........
    How do you delete your own post ???
    I can't find that option anymore.
    For my friend, that is.....................................
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

PM sent.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Assuming that someone (other than me...) wrote a post that they wanted to self-censor...........
    How do you delete your own post ???
    I can't find that option anymore.
    For my friend, that is.....................................
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-19-2019 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Or any quotes...

Spyder Garage

You can always send a msg to Admin via the Contact Us link or you could ask any one of the Moderators (via PM please, just look for a fluro green username, highlight it, & then click on Private Message. ) to delete a post or even an entire thread for you, and we will see what we can do; but please, be aware that we can't always do that for a number of reasons....

As for editing out the content of your posts, it can work, but that really IS NOT the recommended course of action. You need to be aware that editing or deleting the content of your posts WILL have an impact on the rating & referrals the Forum gets from all the search engines & places that govern how much traffic we get here; and at least one of the major reasons for removing the 'self censorship &/or delete' facility that users once had here for entire threads was the damage that was causing to the Forum's reputation, standing, & popularity on the internet! And if those go down too much, the costs of maintaining the place & keeping it running will go up, possibly even with fewer sponsors - so by deleting things you could be contributing to the ultimate demise of the Forum!

Removing the facility for general users to delete their own threads really boosted our standing & popularity on the internet's 'search & leader boards', so it's clearly been a step in the right direction, as far as it's gone to date. So given that, if deleting your actual post content starts to happen too often, there's a very good chance that facility might be removed too, simply to help ensure the place stays open for us all!

All of which means your best course of action might be to re-read & 'self-censor' BEFORE you hit the 'Submit' button if you can But failing that, if you want something of yours removed completely, you should probably PM any one of the Mod's or send a message to Admin via the 'Contact Us' link down the bottom of each page!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-19-2019 at 09:28 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Funny but I thought that all of the new rules and regulations is what has negatively affected the sites reputation.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

What new rules & regulations??

The rules we all agreed to here pretty much all came from Lamont a fair while ago; the only difference lately is that he appointed people to do what he couldn't/didn't have the time for any more, which meant more eyes paying attention so that fewer of those things that were causing people to leave &/or not join slipped thru the cracks, and as a result, not only do we have some of those 'former posters' back but also the site's populatity & 'presence' on the boards has improved. And then there's the 3,400 plus new members who've joined too.... so I think someone's doing something right.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-20-2019 at 01:23 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

The rules have been around for the 10 years that I have been on the site. They were not enforced early on. Many would "bypass" them. Since the mods came on board, some members were shown the door, and some got their hands slapped.

Most of the membership appreciates the site changes. The complaints about bullies, unfriendly posts, etc. have diminished considerably. I have received many PM's thanking us for working to make things better.

Almost a year since the Moderators were put on, we admit to still learning things. I consider the situation as a work in process.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-20-2019 at 09:57 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Having moderators edit peoples posts without explanation is something that never happened in the past. The period of having vendors names blocked out was a recent development that drove many away from the site. If you think those are improvements then we shall just have to disagree.

NO EDIT: Pushed the wrong button.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-21-2019 at 01:11 PM.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=SpyderAnn01;1484994]Having moderators edit peoples posts without explanation is something that never happened in the past. The period of having vendors names blocked out was a recent development that drove many away from the site. If you think those are improvements then we shall just have to disagree.

A lot of stuff happens in the background that site members are not privy to. We do not edit posts for the sake of editing. In most cases, the poster has been contacted by PM concerning the issue. PS. Very few posts get edited.

Edits will happen when the poster has violated the rules of the forum...which are now enforced.

If we can let a post run by editing out a swear word or political statement...we let it ride...with permission.

The blocked out vendors has been fixed. It was unfortunate it happened, but well beyond OUR pay-grade!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-21-2019 at 09:57 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Having moderators edit peoples posts without explanation is something that never happened in the past. The period of having vendors names blocked out was a recent development that drove many away from the site. If you think those are improvements then we shall just have to disagree.

who pushed the wrong button? SpyderAnn01 or ARtravler ?

Also ARtravler in your above post you state
    The blocked out vendors has been fixed. It was unfortunate it happened.
    Does that mean it's ok to mention where you got something if it is not from a vendor here, cuz before it was not allowed?

Also everyone can edit there post for about 60 seconds without the edit reason needing to be shown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    who pushed the wrong button? SpyderAnn01 or ARtravler ?

Also ARtravler in your above post you state Does that mean it's ok to mention where you got something if it is not from a vendor here, cuz before it was not allowed?

Also everyone can edit there post for about 60 seconds without the edit reason needing to be shown
    AR traveler pushed the wrong button. I have an edit post, reply, and reply with quote button. Should have pushed the reply with quote instead of edit. If that happens, an "edited by" message will appear (to tell on us)

RE: mention of non-sponsor items. Yes, you can mention item X from vendor Y. If it turns into an ad for them, or it is an ad by them (it happens once in awhile here), then no.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-21-2019 at 02:32 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post

I think your point is valid, but I'm not overwhelmingly turned off yet.
    I am, however, far less active on the site than I have been in the past.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I think your point is valid, but I'm not overwhelmingly turned off yet.
    I am, however, far less active on the site than I have been in the past.
    Please read the explanation above if you have not already done so. I believe everything is covered. See posts 8 and 10.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    Is it 60 seconds, or until someone reads the post? My observation indicates you can make an edit without the edit comment showing until someone has read the post. That makes sense to me since it's not good protocol or decorum to have someone think a post said one thing only to see it say something different later without explanation. If I make a typo correction that doesn't change the substance of the post I don't always note it in the edit box.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Is it 60 seconds, or until someone reads the post? My observation indicates you can make an edit without the edit comment showing until someone has read the post. That makes sense to me since it's not good protocol or decorum to have someone think a post said one thing only to see it say something different later without explanation. If I make a typo correction that doesn't change the substance of the post I don't always note it in the edit box.

I use the edit function a lot on MY posts to correct spelling. They always pop up as being edited and what day and time.
    I made a couple spelling corrections and the system picked it up immediately after posting. See "edit' notation at the bottom of this post.

The edit comments I talked about come up as soon as the post button is hit. There is no way for a mod to edit someones content without it being noted by the system. Besides, we do not work that way here.

You can make any changes you want until you push the post button.

This topic has now gone way off track IMO.

The original topic was "deleting your own post." If you feel you need to do a delete of your own post, and are unable to figure it out, contact any moderator through a PM. We will do it for you.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-23-2019 at 10:43 AM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Regardless of anybodies opinion on editing of posts, the rules of the site will be adhered to, if the post/thread violates the rules, it will be edited or deleted & the user notified as they have been.

The person that violated the rules will be penalized, as they have been for doing so, whether its a slap on the wrist or a kick off the site.

That's why i added the moderators in the first place, some where put on staff to try to keep them around (hoping they would change their ways), as you know Bob Denman is no longer a part of the site.

Any one bashing the site or staff, will also be shown the door & some already have been.

This is why the site has rules, they wasnt enforced for a long time, but they're enforced now & will remain that way.
    2018 F3 , Red

Spyder Garage

I add another note here as well, NO MODERATOR has the ability to completely delete a post/thread, only the ability to hide it from public view.

As noted above, users are notified if their post/thread is deleted aka hidden or edited by the moderators, they are also logged in a file for the staff as to what & why changes are made, as well as who got warned or kicked.

To spyderann01, as a site sponsor, you should have enough respect for the site to address your issues with myself or Lamont, as well; you was offered a Staff position by myself when i started the changes on the site over a year ago. You could of been a part of staff decisions for a long time now.

The staff pretty much have 100% control per the rules that they was given, i rarely step in to over ride a decision by them & yes i have reversed a couple of their decisions.

I also let everyone know again as it was posted long ago on more than one occasion by myself, if i hadnt stepped in & done what i did, Lamont was going to close this site as he didnt want to maintain it anymore.

This site is a family orientated site per Lamont's long standing post, this site isnt for users to bash people, make rude comments to them or be snide in their posts, this site has always been setup to HELP spyder riders!
    2018 F3 , Red

Spyder Garage

Well another addition.....

As to BLUEKNIGHT911's post above that was deleted, i read the original post & then the post containing just smilies, it was deleted by staff & shouldnt have been, the staff has been notified to leave such posts alone that dont violate any rules.

BLUEKNIGHT911's apologies as your above post shouldnt have been deleted, there was also from what i read in it, no need to delete what you wrote originally.
    2018 F3 , Red