Thread: Air box removal

Spyder Garage

Default Air box removal

Have a 2013 RT L and changing the plugs. I know it seems everyone takes the air box out the right side, but that requires removing the frame strut on that side. I have the center console out and it looks like their is enough room to remove the box on the left side. Has anyone had luck doing that. TIA, Rick

Spyder Garage

You gotta remember that the 2013 RT frame's were 'up-graded' or if you prefer, 're-designed' in some areas, initially in order to take the significantly shorter but somewhat wider 1330 motor, then due to engine development/production delays, ended up having the longer but narrower 998 V-Twin crammed back in there, with all sorts of things jammed up against other bits in ways you'd never expect.......

Sooo, I think you'll find that whichever way you try to remove the air box, you're gonna hafta remove more bits than you expect, possibly even the other side frame strut; and even if it looks like there's 'more room' going the other way, it's just not gonna be as straightforward as you might think!!

But please, don't let that (or me!) stop you having a go - I haven't tried doing that particular task from the left vs the right, and we'll probably never know until you try! So... Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-19-2019 at 07:12 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks Peter, ended up taking it out the right side. Undid the frame brace along with the 50 connectors and a bevy of all sorts of "things". Even than it was near impossible to get out. I don't know what the engineers were smoking during design, but must have been some heavy stuff. They sure didn't care about anyone who would ever have to work on it. And I understand it is just as difficult to get it back in...joy. I can say, I'll be scared to death when I turn the key on after this. All just to change 2 plugs! All my Honda and Harley friends are laughing.

Spyder Garage

You may want to consider getting JT's air filter. It totally eliminates the air box. Makes the bike a little louder.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Grandpot. Do you have a link to his site. I search JT air filter and nothing.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'll try to help out - not sure how soon he'll be back on for you. It's called JT's Spyder Store.

https://spyderstore.com/index.php?ro...ory&path=59_68

The filter and the pre-filter are both in stock. This installation will also come with the recommendation of removing that resonator box, also. That comes out the left side and is also a pain - that is if you want to take it out in one piece. There have been those that took it out in pieces surgically. Dremel tool, etc. With both of those boxes out of there, you will be amazed at the ease of maintenance and how much cooler your 2013 will run under the plastic.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Snowbelt, thanks for jumping in. I've been out for the evening. Yes, that is the correct link.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

When I removed the airbox to put new plugs in my 2012, I knew there was no way it was going back in, so I bought JT's air filter assembly with the muffler. I never really did notice any real additional noise, and it did lower the temps a little.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze