Spyder Garage

Question Is there a difference in Battery Tenders?

I am a new owner getting ready to put it away for winter storage. Looking to buy a battery tender but they seem to run quite a price range. The "Battery Tender" brand one is about $25 on Amazon ($20 on Black Friday at Tru Value) while the Optimate one is over $50. The guy on FortNine (YouTube) mentions the need for the tender to cycle the battery instead of just a float charge. Is there really an importatant different in the battery tenders? Usually I subscribe to the "you get what you pay for" mantra but if the cheaper one will do the trick than I will go with that. But if there is a difference, it is worth the extra $30 to keep the expensive battery working longer.

Spyder Garage

I have been using the smaller Battery Tender for many years and no battery failures. Heck, before I got that one, I was using Harbor Freights $5 one with no problems. The cycling is needed for exhausted batteries. Keep yours up and a simple float charger will do nicely.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Battery Tender by far the best I own 10 of them never ever had a problem...

Spyder Garage

Watch amazon and Walmart. I printed out the add you are referring to for $19.00 and took it to my local true value store to make sure they would have some in stock. They are NOT honoring the add. True value "dropped" the battery tender JR. It will NOT be on sale. I looked on the true value's website too and the site for the battery tender jr no longer opens and is not listed anymore. I purchased at Walmart last week and had it delivered for $21.99 plus tax. Free shipping to local store. Just thought I'd share if you are depending on the true value black Friday add.

Spyder Garage

Ok, I feel like an idiot here but I can't tell what output connection the Battery Tender Jr. has. My dealer installed one that says "Optimate Ready" and from what I can tell, it is an SAE connector. Does anyone know if the Deltran Battery Tender Jr (12V 750mA) has the SAE connector. I cant find it on Amazon or Walmart or even their own website. Weird.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rbflapjack View Post
    ...Does anyone know if the Deltran Battery Tender Jr (12V 750mA) has the SAE connector...
    Yes, it does.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am a new owner getting ready to put it away for winter storage. Looking to buy a battery tender but they seem to run quite a price range. The "Battery Tender" brand one is about $25 on Amazon ($20 on Black Friday at Tru Value) while the Optimate one is over $50. The guy on FortNine (YouTube) mentions the need for the tender to cycle the battery instead of just a float charge. Is there really an importatant different in the battery tenders? Usually I subscribe to the "you get what you pay for" mantra but if the cheaper one will do the trick than I will go with that. But if there is a difference, it is worth the extra $30 to keep the expensive battery working longer.
    I think the biggest difference is the maximum charging current it will put out plus options for control and displays. The simplest will be low current, i.e., 1 amp or less, 12 volt only, and one or two LEDs to indicate operating mode. I bought a DieHard one a couple of months ago. It has a digital readout about battery and charger status and will put out 3 amps and will switch between 6 and 12 volt automatically. Higher amps will charge a battery faster.

The number 1 criteria is make sure it says maintainer on it. A maintainer will turn the charge current on and off as needed to maintain a full charge and can be left connected to the battery. A float charger is a full time charger at low levels, but they will kill a battery by overcharging if left on all the time. Battery Tender brand is probably the most well known, but there are others that are equally good. NAPA has several. Schumacher is a good brand, as is DieHard. Harbor Freight record is mixed, some good, some bad.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    Watch amazon and Walmart. I printed out the add you are referring to for $19.00 and took it to my local true value store to make sure they would have some in stock. They are NOT honoring the add. True value "dropped" the battery tender JR. It will NOT be on sale. I looked on the true value's website too and the site for the battery tender jr no longer opens and is not listed anymore. I purchased at Walmart last week and had it delivered for $21.99 plus tax. Free shipping to local store. Just thought I'd share if you are depending on the true value black Friday add.
    I work PT at the local True Value hardware store. True Value was bought out by a larger company. Many things will be changing shortly. The owner where I work is phasing out of TV, as many more stores will do..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    I work PT at the local True Value hardware store. True Value was bought out by a larger company. Many things will be changing shortly. The owner where I work is phasing out of TV, as many more stores will do..
    That actually happened in March 2018 when private equity firm ACON investments bought 70% of the True Value coop. Maybe we're now starting to see the impact of that buyout. However, all the stores are independently owned so much of their inventory is controlled by the store owner. The local TV store here still buys from the TV group but they're downplaying the association with TV and buying product elsewhere.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I think you are mixing up a battery tender and battery conditioner. Battery tenders are less expensive and do not claim (as far as I see) the ability to revive a dead battery. A conditioner will do that and they are usually more expensive and have all the fancy dodads. I bought a conditioner last year and it worked great - it did revive tow dead battery's for me (scooter and car) and kept my Spyder battery great. When you attach it to the battery, there is a display of lights (1 to 7) of the battery health. I bought mine last year through Rider Insurance, it was a year-end deal and I am glad I did. I am looking to buy another.

I may be wrong with my understanding of the above - the seasoned members should correct if wrong.

Jim

Spyder Garage

I have four battery tender Jr's that I have been using for years. One for each bike and one for the lawn tractor. They have all worked flawlessly for years. The $29 version has been just fine.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I think the biggest difference is the maximum charging current it will put out plus options for control and displays. The simplest will be low current, i.e., 1 amp or less, 12 volt only, and one or two LEDs to indicate operating mode. I bought a DieHard one a couple of months ago. It has a digital readout about battery and charger status and will put out 3 amps and will switch between 6 and 12 volt automatically. Higher amps will charge a battery faster.

The number 1 criteria is make sure it says maintainer on it. A maintainer will turn the charge current on and off as needed to maintain a full charge and can be left connected to the battery. A float charger is a full time charger at low levels, but they will kill a battery by overcharging if left on all the time. Battery Tender brand is probably the most well known, but there are others that are equally good. NAPA has several. Schumacher is a good brand, as is DieHard. Harbor Freight record is mixed, some good, some bad.
    " MAINTAINER " - is what you want, …. " Battery Tender " is a brand name, but there are many others that work exactly the same for less money..... read the description of the product before you buy it …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Yes, there are differences between brands and models.

Many choose Battery Tender brand products and report they are satisfied with the results.

Myself, I prefer Battery Minder brand products because their models have desulfation mode.

Regarding Battery Tender brand products, my experience is via my riding buddy. His Harley battery was on a Battery Tender while he was away for the summer. Upon trying to start the Harley on his return the Battery Tender indicated the battery was no good. This was after connecting it several months before. He borrowed my Battery Minder, after several days, the battery was revived and worked without issues.

Spyder Garage

I have the Battery Minder brand as well, they seem to do well even though more expensive. Spyder batteries are AGM, and some folks say you need a specific type charger, but if I remember there was a very knowledgeable guy on here that said the differences are so small they can be ignored.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

I use Deltran Battery Tender Jr. ( 12 Volt, 750 mA) Switches Automatically from Charge to Float!, can be used on Motorcycles, Cars, Lawn Mowers, AVT's, Snowmobiles, Water Craft.
    Reverse Polarity protection ensures safety, Spark Proof, 12 Ft. output cord, Input: 115 VAC @ 750 mA Output: 12Vdc @ 750 mA.

I have used the above for 7 years now to Current. I have not had any problems.

Battery Tender Jr. lightweight, compact size makes it ideal for those hard to fit spots. Batteries are constantly maintained and ready to go!

I don't remember how much I paid for the above.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue