Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default jack position to remove front wheels

nothing in the owner manual, looking to take the front wheels to a shop to replace and balance front tires... where to position the Jack? don't like the looks of putting tha pressure on the arms connected to the front wheels? not much on youtube either... (or I'm searching for the wrong thing...)
    2018 RT , Blue

Spyder Garage

go to the thread on "removal of shocks"
    2021 900 Ace , Black & Gold

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Realtor View Post
    nothing in the owner manual, looking to take the front wheels to a shop to replace and balance front tires... where to position the Jack? don't like the looks of putting tha pressure on the arms connected to the front wheels? not much on youtube either... (or I'm searching for the wrong thing...)
    ….The frame is always the best point from a strength standpoint ….. However I have an Auto scissor style jack that I re-moved the ring and welded a 5/8 nut to ….. to change a wheel put a small sturdy piece of wood on top of the jack so it spans both arms of the suspension close to the wheel and just lift it enough to re-move that wheel..... good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Here's a picture....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

or you could do it like i do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr5K-ylMCNM
    pres ride
    2014 RT-S
    bike is WIP
    bike has endured elect spike (was jump started incorrectly)
    still a WIP but bike is now running and registered....swapped out 5 modules mostly sourced from Canadian wrecker

Spyder Garage

thanks, strange there isnt a easy sturdy place to jack the bike up along the road and go het your tire repaired.... so is the a arm stinger closer to the wheel?
    2018 RT , Blue

Spyder Garage

thanks, strange there isnt a easy sturdy place to jack the bike up along the road and go het your tire repaired.... so is the a arm stinger closer to the wheel?
    " stinger " ????? did you mean " stronger " …. if so Yes, try this for proof … place the ends of an 8 ft., 2 x 4 on small blocks or bricks etc. …. step on the 2x4 near the block , it doesn't move …. now step in the middle, it moves a lot ….WHY ? , because that's where it's weakest..... hope this helps ….. Mike

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Jack

Hey Blue Night, Just curious, What's the 5/8" nut used for? (Raising the Jack.) ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I put my jack stands under the shock. Works fine.

I did like the video of the wood ramps too.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    " stinger " ????? did you mean " stronger " …. if so Yes, try this for proof … place the ends of an 8 ft., 2 x 4 on small blocks or bricks etc. …. step on the 2x4 near the block , it doesn't move …. now step in the middle, it moves a lot ….WHY ? , because that's where it's weakest..... hope this helps ….. Mike

yes, stronger.... it was late... I'd want to think the point closest the frame would be best, but my thinking may be off. thanks, I'll mess with it today.... tires get delivered sometime today, so.... can't put this off much longer... never thought taking a wheel off could be so stressful... lol
    2018 RT , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    Hey Blue Night, Just curious, What's the 5/8" nut used for? (Raising the Jack.) ....
    On every scissor jack I have seen … the threaded shaft ( that when turned, raises or lowers the scissor mechanism ) … And has a metal ring at the end.... where the winding tool is inserted …. this is cumbersome and quite time consuming to operate …. I cut off the Ring and welded the 5/8 nut in it's place...… I can now use my cordless drill,( with a socket ) and this speeds things up considerably. If I use a ratchet, I can adjust the height almost microscopely...…. Mike

Spyder Garage

Some of the tightest Lugs, I've come across in a good while..... applied some anti seize for that unexpected emergency along the road... I see a design flaw...... Wheels are off, and will have the new ones on tomorrow... Thanks for the tips....
    2018 RT , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Front wheel torque is 80 FT lbs

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Front wheel torque is 80 FT lbs
    ass load more than that. i had to get the breaker bar out... let a little wd-40 penetrate as well...
    2018 RT , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Crack the lugs loose before you lift the spyder. Torque them after you lower it.

Spyder Garage

Some of the tightest Lugs, I've come across in a good while..... applied some anti seize for that unexpected emergency along the road... I see a design flaw...... Wheels are off, and will have the new ones on tomorrow... Thanks for the tips....
    imho BRP exceeds their own Torque requirements ….. and I have used NeverSeize on everything since I can remember..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

imho BRP exceeds their own Torque requirements ….. and I have used NeverSeize on everything since I can remember..... Mike
    Yes, I use anti seize on anything I may want to take apart again. However, I now use red Loctite on my license plate nuts and bolts since I had my plate stolen a couple weeks ago. Any ne'er-do-well with a dime in their pocket can swipe a license plate.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Yes, I use anti seize on anything I may want to take apart again. However, I now use red Loctite on my license plate nuts and bolts since I had my plate stolen a couple weeks ago. Any ne'er-do-well with a dime in their pocket can swipe a license plate.
    Many Years ago they use to just rip my license off my car since they are only held in with plastic and a bolt. Ended up using a steel plate and carriage bolts. Then tech screwed the corners since they still tried to steal the plates. Anti Seize and thread lock does work but not for everything

Spyder Garage

On every scissor jack I have seen … the threaded shaft ( that when turned, raises or lowers the scissor mechanism ) … And has a metal ring at the end.... where the winding tool is inserted …. this is cumbersome and quite time consuming to operate …. I cut off the Ring and welded the 5/8 nut in it's place...… I can now use my cordless drill,( with a socket ) and this speeds things up considerably. If I use a ratchet, I can adjust the height almost microscopely...…. Mike
    I have a old scissor jack that came out of a 1960s era Cadillac Ambulance that has a 3/4" head on the acme threaded shaft that needs 2 men and a boy to lift (not really, but it's freakin' heavy). Probably weighs as much as one of the front tires on a Spyder.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This video may be useful

https://youtu.be/z1IGkzBoJyc
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    I have a old scissor jack that came out of a 1960s era Cadillac Ambulance that has a 3/4" head on the acme threaded shaft that needs 2 men and a boy to lift (not really, but it's freakin' heavy). Probably weighs as much as one of the front tires on a Spyder.
    I believe " Scissor jacks " for veh's. that weigh less then 4,000 lbs ( that amb. probably weighs 6,000 + lbs. ) have the ring because it's simpler ( cranking tool included ). ….Thanks for your input ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post
    This video may be useful

https://youtu.be/z1IGkzBoJyc
    Did you happen to notice ( in the video ) that the front tires are barely on the lift table which is not nearly as wide as the front tire spacing !!!! ………. I know Shawn likes to say Danger a lot, but I suppose He doesn't think the Spyder falling on/off the table is Dangerous ….. I can't believe that lift table wasn't made wider in the front. …..Mike

Spyder Garage

new tires mounted, question, since these are are tires, what pressure are you guys running in your car tires on the front of the spyder?
    2018 RT , Blue

Spyder Garage

new tires mounted, question, since these are are tires, what pressure are you guys running in your car tires on the front of the spyder?
    Peter and I recommend 15 to 17 psi for the front, a lot of others here are using that and are happy with the way the Spyder feels and performs …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Peter and I recommend 15 to 17 psi for the front, a lot of others here are using that and are happy with the way the Spyder feels and performs …… Mike
    thanks I had the shop put 25 in them, I'll go let a little out, and go for a ride...
    2018 RT , Blue