Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Another car tire thread

Let me start by saying I have around 100 k miles on car tires on my spyders we have owned and have been happy with them, both front and rear. While watching the latest Shawn Smoak video he was doing on the parking break he spotted a car tire on the bike he was working on (happens to be my wife’s bike) that was in for service. His comment was “ oh car tire , danger danger” then he moved on about the adjustment of the parking brake. When I went in to pick the bike up and asked him about the comment his reply was that the car tires affect the traction control system and it’s not as safe. I value Shawns expertise and was wondering what the other “experts out there have to offer” I will most likely stay with car tires as I have had no issues with them. I will add that I sometimes ride very aggressive and have never been spanked by the Nanny.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

There are some experts on here that do not agree with Shawn S. Even a casual read on the subject of tires will show that (dare I say 75%...number not vetted), are using car tires. I am also a recent convert.

We have NEVER had any post that they had a danger, danger situation with the use of car tires. There may be some odo issues where stuff is a 10th off or so. Not enough to make me run back to OEM Spyder tires.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Shawn is a dealer tech and has a reason to hold the company line.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Does Shawn Smoak work for a Can Am dealer?

Spyder Garage

Look at this way. Shawn Smoak is no dummy, he works for a dealership that sells Spyders. BRP has not ever to my knowledge published a written document that says it's perfectly alright to use car tires on Spyders, probably under the specific instruction pf legal counsel. Shawn is smart enough to recognize that if he said in his videos it was fine to run car tires and someone did so and subsequently had an accident, in our litigious society that someone could sue Shawn, the dealership and BRP for saying he/she could run car tires on his/her Spyder. If you were in Shawn's boots would you do so? And if you don't think it could happen, I've some beautiful bridge real estate waiting for you.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The difference I think the mfg. of the wheels and the tires are worrying about is....
    the bead angles are slightly different on a car tire than a motorcycle tire.... however
    not enough to cause air loss when mounted on the Spyder wheel, they work fine.
    the Spyder has upper and lower control arms that mimic a car and move up and down
    with very little lean angles. very car like in operation so I see no problem in running them.
    I have been running Michelin tires from Costco on mine for almost 20,000 miles with no problems.
    the picture to the left is my Spyder ( yea I know it's old like me but it works just fine) it's a 2008 GS
    I may be buying an F# when they correct the radio and dash problems but until them the good old GS
    does just fine...
    Spyder.jpg
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 11-16-2019 at 05:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

Shawn is a pretty good mechanic and a very good video blogger. Unfortunately he also has drank a bit too much of the company kool aid and at times spouts opinions based on beliefs he has been taught with out a basis in fact. This is one of them. LED lighting is another. You do not have to agree with every thing he says to get a lot out of his videos.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

The Nanny really doesn't give a rats about what brand of black round things made of something sorta like rubber that your machine is wearing, it couldn't care less and has no idea or way of knowing anyway... It'll just keep on doing its job by responding to the info sent to it from all the sensors in the way it's been designed to.... and when you fit a brand of tire that works BETTER in all respects at handling &/or avoiding those things the Nanny doesn't like & steps in to limit, the ONLY thing that really means is that the Nanny doesn't hafta work quite so hard.... well, at least not until you, the rider, discover that with better tires fitted you can ride harder on your Spyder and get it to do things that you could never even get close to doing before, the OE Kendas simply wouldn't let you ride that hard!! Of course, if you don't want to ride that hard, that's fine, but the better tires will still be working better to give you a much great 'margin for error' and besides, you'll have all that 'extra capability' just waiting in reserve too, just in case it's ever needed to keep you safe!

So maybe Shawn's comment does have just a smidge of validity?! After all, with Better tires, your Spyder will be so much more capable and enjoyable that there's a good chance you might be tempted to explore some of that extra capability and enjoyment, and if you do happen to take it far enough to push the limits of the boundaries delineated by the Nanny (but I'd bet most won't, cos those boundaries get extended a preeetttyyyy looooong way when you fit just any old reasonable quality car tire, let alone if you fit a high quality performance tire!! ) it's quite likely that ryding right out to the limits of a much better tire is going to be just a smidge more potentially dangerous than anything you could ever do on the OE tires, those things simply restrict your ride so much that you'd never even stand a Snowballs chance in Hell of getting close to doing anything that might be that much of a risk.... or exciting.... or potentially dangerous?!

Me, I'm still gonna choose car tires over the OE spec Kendas EVERY SINGLE DAY!! Even if I'm NOT planning on exploring the limits of their greater capabilities on that particular day, cos you just never know what's gonna come your way and I want those greater margins for error working for ME all the time, and I don't want to be restricted by the limitations of a dubiously constructed lightweight tire that severely restricts the capability of the machine I'm ryding! But maybe that's just me?!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-18-2019 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Ryding right out to the limits
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    The difference I think the mfg. of the wheels and the tires are worrying about is....
    the bead angles are slightly different on a car tire than a motorcycle tire.... however
    not enough to cause air loss when mounted on the Spyder wheel, they work fine.

the Spyder has upper and lower control arms that mimic a car and move up and down
    with very little lean angles. very car like in operation so I see no problem in running them.
    Except in the case of our Spyders, the rims they run are CAR rims with J Type bead profiles and even the OE Spec Kendas are running those same J Type CAR bead profiles, so none of that bolded stuff above applies!

OF COURSE any car tire with car type bead profiles will work fine when mounted on a car rim which has car type bead profiles - even if it's on a Spyder!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Shawn is a pretty good mechanic and a very good video blogger. Unfortunately he also has drank a bit too much of the company kool-aid and at times spouts opinions based on beliefs he has been taught with out a basis in fact. This is one of them. LED lighting is another. You do not have to agree with every thing he says to get a lot out of his videos.
    …. plus I can guarantee you that my knowledge Base on tires far exceeds any that S.S. has. …. Bosche makes many, many other ( traction specific ) computer systems for auto's and trucks, not just our Spyder.... Porsche recommends Studded Snow Tires over using chains on their 4-wheel drive models. Talk about a difference in tires - there aren't any larger than that. ….. and there are literally 100's of MILLIONS of miles of Spyders using auto tires.... He knows a lot about spyders, but imho He is out of has lane on this. ……. Mike

Spyder Garage

Changing tracks a bit, I just had a set of Nokian tires put on our 2007 Chrysler 300C wit da Hemi. I have had many tires put on cars since 1952. The list includes Triumph sport cars and Alfas too. Never, I repeat never have I experienced a tire that is this good. Turn in is so quick I find myself having to straighten as I'm taking the curve too tight. And they bite! I was going to go with Michelin, but my go-to place told me Nokian is a better tire and they were not wrong.
    So I'm wondering if anyone has put Nokian tires on a Spyder and how'd it work for you? I have a long way to go before mine will need tires, but Nokian is high on my list now. If they make Spyder sizes, that is.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

oh car tire , danger danger” he is right and the MPG will go down also. When you install car tire on a Spyder it makes it so much more stable. I have read that people go a lot faster around corners / curves rolling on the throttle all through some corners / curves, just burning gas like there is no tomorrow. They say they can go much faster with the car tires because they are and feel so stable. Speed= Danger. Some people even will take a stretch of twisty road and see how fast they can go down it over and over again; they got car tires.
    Now with OEM tires crapenders Safe, Safe and get better MPG. You get no feeling of stability and when you come to a corner / curve you roll out of the throttle and hold on until you get all the way around the corner / curve before you get back in the throttle, that saves fuel and slows you down Slow = Safer. Because of the feeling of the lack of stability you do not ride as fast and travel much slower. With the OEM tires you know when you have been for a ride. In my not so honest opinion.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 11-16-2019 at 07:21 PM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jackhartjr View Post
    Does Shawn Smoak work for a Can Am dealer?
    Yes he is.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    oh car tire , danger danger” he is right and the MPG will go down also. When you install car tire on a Spyder it makes it so much more stable. I have read that people go a lot faster around corners / curves rolling on the throttle all through some corners / curves, just burning gas like there is no tomorrow. They say they can go much faster with the car tires because they are and feel so stable. Speed= Danger. Some people even will take a stretch of twisty road and see how fast they can go down it over and over again; they got car tires.
    Now with OEM tires crapenders Safe, Safe and get better MPG. You get no feeling of stability and when you come to a corner / curve you roll out of the throttle and hold on until you get all the way around the corner / curve before you get back in the throttle, that saves fuel and slows you down Slow = Safer. Because of the feeling of the lack of stability you do not ride as fast and travel much slower. With the OEM tires you know when you have been for a ride. In my not so honest opinion.
    Better MPG's and Kenda's ….. Not only Kenda's but any tire will give better MPG's - the higher the PSI in the tire, the less Rolling Resistance it has. ( which I don't recommend for numerous reasons ) …. Because Kenda's are weakly made compared to Auto tires, the Kenda's need higher PSI's just to remain stable at speed..... I'm not guessing on this …… good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post

Hi Copper,
    I know you just fooling around with your post about SS. I can be just a little sarcastic at times. BUT I do wonder what SS thinks about an ECM flash?????? I love mine!! "Danger, Danger Will Robinson" Much better throttle response and 15 or 20 more HP------ Very Dangerous
    Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Changing tracks a bit, I just had a set of Nokian tires put on our 2007 Chrysler 300C wit da Hemi. I have had many tires put on cars since 1952. The list includes Triumph sport cars and Alfas too. Never, I repeat never have I experienced a tire that is this good. Turn in is so quick I find myself having to straighten as I'm taking the curve too tight. And they bite! I was going to go with Michelin, but my go-to place told me Nokian is a better tire and they were not wrong.
    So I'm wondering if anyone has put Nokian tires on a Spyder and how'd it work for you? I have a long way to go before mine will need tires, but Nokian is high on my list now. If they make Spyder sizes, that is.
    Yes, I've run a set on my car and put a pair (different model of tyre) on a v-twin RT.

I agree with you on their performance, especially wet grip but I'm going to burst your bubble... They had worn down just about 1/4 of their tread
    depth but the rubber fatigue cracking had got so bad I removed them and fitted a different make of tyre. I've since read of others who have had a similar experience. I've got a photo of it somewhere, if I find it I'll come back and post it.

Sorry to be the carrier of bad news.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

Once again to share a very important reality about any tires you have on your Spyder or on any vehicle: THEY ARE THE ONLY SAFETY ITEM ON YOUR VEHICLE THAT TOUCHES THE ROAD. THE QUESTION THEN IS...If safety is important to you, it is proven by the many expert contributors of this forum that OEM tires are inferior to the many recommended car tires available in today's market. Not only are they safer, but, you will see a dramatic difference in comfort, handling and performance of your Spyder. As one contributor commented recently after replacing their tires with car tires, "The difference is NIGHT AND DAY." As a Spyder Owner (2016 RT) who recently changed our tires to Vredestein Quatrac 5 car tires and who just recently had a wonderful two weeks driving the twisty and challenging roads of the Smoky Mountains, our Spyder performed flawlessly with great comfort and handling. Most of all we felt very safe having the Quatrac 5 car tires as we maneuvered our way through the mountains. Thanks again to the many expert contributors of this forum for your advice and recommendations in making our Spyder experience a very enjoyable one. Again, the difference is NIGHT AND DAY. Confirmed by this Spyder Lover!!!! Have a great, safe ride today.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Superior tires

Proud to be the carrier of good news:

Automotive tires are great on a Spyder. Much better tires that what BRP originally installs. I really like the Vredestein Quatrac 5 fronts and the General tire rear on my 2014 RTS. Along with the anti-sway bar and the ECM flash---- they are top farkles in my book.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Hi Copper,
    I know you just fooling around with your post about SS. I can be just a little sarcastic at times. BUT I do wonder what SS thinks about an ECM flash?????? I love mine!! "Danger, Danger Will Robinson" Much better throttle response and 15 or 20 more HP------ Very Dangerous
    Lew L
    Hi Lew
    My post was not about SS, it was about tires. I think Car tires are much better tires then Spyder OEM tires but don't let the car tires make you over confident was my underlying message. I would assume from a professional stand point SS would not like the Idea of an ECM flash. Now if he was on a race team I think he would be the first to do it.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRosePetal View Post
    Yes, I've run a set on my car and put a pair (different model of tyre) on a v-twin RT.

I agree with you on their performance, especially wet grip but I'm going to burst your bubble... They had worn down just about 1/4 of their tread
    depth but the rubber fatigue cracking had got so bad I removed them and fitted a different make of tyre. I've since read of others who have had a similar experience. I've got a photo of it somewhere, if I find it I'll come back and post it.

Sorry to be the carrier of bad news.
    Are you referring to the Nokians you had on the car, the Spyder, or both? Perhaps the improved performance is due a soft rubber compound. Ya think?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

At the dealership where Shawn S. works. At the service desk theres a sign saying, that they will not install a car tire. Mentioned to a salesman about maybe having car tires put on my spyder an got thats a no no.

Spyder Garage

I have had 4 Spyders since 2008...a GS SE5, 2010 RT Manual, a 2014 RT SE6 (killed a Javalina with it), and a 2017 F3L (by far the BEST Spyder made. IMO). Total Spyder miles 154,000 + or -. I have read the owners manuals for general knowledge and have never seen where automobile tires cannot be used on the Spyders. The OEM tires say "Motorcycle Only" and I can understand why...that crap would blow out on your car or trailer if used for load carrying. On the 2014 I had just had all three tires replaced for a 4000+ mile vacation with Kumho. The fronts were 155/60/15 and the rear was a 205/55/15. My wife commented about how much more comfortable the ride had become and how the curves in the mountains were executed much more smoothly. I don't recommend anyone do what they don't think they should. This is just a shared experience.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Are you referring to the Nokians you had on the car, the Spyder, or both? Perhaps the improved performance is due a soft rubber compound. Ya think?
    Hi, I was referring to the car ones, they were summer tyres. They were on the car for approximately 20k miles and 2 years before I removed them. I have a picture for you but perhaps you could start a new thread because I feel we're hijacking this one.
    The ones on the Spyder were all season tyres, I covered 7000 miles on them before the bike was sold. I liked their performance a lot but it was too short a time to know about the hardening and aging rubber.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRosePetal View Post
    Hi, I was referring to the car ones, they were summer tyres. They were on the car for approximately 20k miles and 2 years before I removed them. I have a picture for you but perhaps you could start a new thread because I feel we're hijacking this one.
    The ones on the Spyder were all season tyres, I covered 7000 miles on them before the bike was sold. I liked their performance a lot but it was too short a time to know about the hardening and aging rubber.
    The Nokian tires I bought are a All weather WR G4 with the most asymmetrical tread I have ever seen. We rarely get snow and when we do, it's usually gone in 1 to 3 days. So snow performance wasn't high on the priority list but reviews say they are OK, not great in snow.

Spyder Garage

"There are some experts on here that do not agree with Shawn S. Even a casual read on the subject of tires will show that (dare I say 75%...number not vetted), are using car tires. I am also a recent convert."

I would hope the OP perhaps do some reading of at least SOME of the dozens of car tire threads, get an idea of how many people use them and why/what problems have occurred with them then make up his own mind. These "just another tire thread" threads are getting ludicrous. Read, research and decide for yourself!
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue