Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Why get a motorcycle?

The best reason for getting a bike that I've ever heard goes like this:

- Have you ever seen a motorcycle parked by the shrink's office?

...and that pretty much summarizes it for me.

What was your reason?

Spyder Garage

Hard to beat that reasoning; works for me, too.

I could only add that I grew up (well, maybe?) owning and enjoying a series of sports cars, learning to downshift, many hours spent practicing cornering/drifting through twisty back roads. Had a few two-wheelers mixed in here and there, including one which took me across Europe. Now, in old age, and after many years away from riding, my Spyder has re-kindled my love of breezing down country roads; it is creating new thrills and memories as I re-live earlier excitement. For me, the Spyder combines elements of both bike and sports car. It rejuvenates my soul. It gives meaning and purpose to my days. And, I love it.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

This indescribable, unadulterated feeling when you run over a rabbit - impossible to reach with a car.

Spyder Garage

Seems correct to me
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Gump, you're a genius!
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

I bought my first motorcycle (1972 Honda 250XL) when I was 16 years old. My mother freaked out because I didn't tell my folks I was going to do that. I just bought it from a friend one day, had a pretty rudimentary understanding of how to shift gears, and into the traffic I went.

During the spring, summer, and fall I use my trips on the Spyder as a way to clear my head.

2017 Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Bought my first bike when I was 9 by buying, fixing and selling bicycles. Never been more than a few months without one ( mainly when moving countries to work ) and now almost 59. Love the feeling of just riding without really going anywhere for a reason - I say if I arrive in the car then its me the parent - If I arrive on the bike then its ME....
    2009 GS SE5 , MDS wires and NGK Red

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I like to ask people have they ever seen a dog, with his head out the window, look unhappy? That is how I feel when I am riding a bike.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I was about 10 years old when I got the first one and I got it because it was fun. I been getting them ever since then for the same reason.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I got my first one summer 1968 to ride to and from work on a local farm. By the end of that summer I was hooked and bikes were my primary means of transportation until I sold my first BMW in 1980. Fast forward to April of 2000 when I brought home my second beemer because I then had a good enough job to have some luxuries. The bike quickly became my primary mode of transportation again but also my stress reducer appropriately tagged as "beemer therapy" and I have never regretted any of it. Well, gotta get ready; have another therapy session scheduled today.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Back in those ancient days of childhood, I always pretended that my bike was a motorcycle. Even added the sound effects with playing cards, and balloons. The balloons sounded better, but they did not last long. Could never afford the fake muffler thingy they sold that made mc noises and even looked cool.

Well...after all that...I guess I was destined to be a biker. That has gone on now since 1966. Soon to be 74, I still have three. One two wheeler, and two spyders.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Been doing it forever, and because of equilibrium issues I thought I was going to have stop in 09. Luckily I discovered the Spyder and the rest as they say is History. I did resurrect my Shelby Cobra ( it's much warmer at Fall temps ) and do enjoy the " twistie's " driving that also. Time will tell how long this can go on, exercise really helps. Don't ever stop moving - things will catch you. ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

I always wanted to ride, but when I was a kid my older brother had an accident on his bike (he eventually fully recovered) and it intimidated me.... the want was always there but it was not until I was turning 50 that I thought "If not now, when?" so I bought myself a brand new Honda Shadow and set out to learn how to ride it. 14 years, 3 more bikes and about 250,000 kilometers later, I remain convinced it was the second-best decision I ever made (after marrying my wife!). I have gotten to see most of North America on the various machines I have ridden over the years since then.... pure wind therapy!

You can't get there from here....

Mods and Tweaks:
    Showcrome Trunk Rack
    Showcrome LED Trunk Light
    Garmin 390LM
    Spyderzone Floating Hiway Boards
    Spyderzone Mount Dash Bracket
    BajaRon Antisway Bar
    Showcrome full-size brake pedal
    Spyder-2-Go Driver Cup holder
    Ram X phone mount
    SpyderExtras 12 volt Docking Station
    BRP Driver Backrest
    Monster 4K Action Camera
    Spyderzone LED Fender Mount Spotlights
    CASA LED Headlights and Foglights
    2018 RT Limited , Ashphalt Metallic

Spyder Garage

As my avatar and signature indicate, I've been 2 wheeling a long time. And like Bushrat, did the sport car thing from the late '50s into the '70s. My take on why I did/do this is I like mastering the control of a machine that requires certain skills to do well on. I'm sure some you feel the same.
    My reason for switching from 2 wheels to 3 is the oft told tale here. Even though my 2 wheel days are behind me, I gotta have a machine under me that requires certain skills to ride well. I guess that's a man over machine thing, eh?
    Some name their vehicles - I never have. But if I did, it would bear this name: KU'U HANA HOU - that's Hawaiian for MY ENCORE, for my Spyder really is a follow up to the main act.
    In closing, I have a sign on a wall that reads; "God does not deduct from one's time hours spent on a motorcycle." So ride long and live long my friends.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Retirement gift to myself. I had not rode since I was a teenager, so why not. Got a Suzuki then an HD, now I have the Spyder.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Can't reach the handle of the refrigerator while sitting on my bike.
    2016 RT Limited - Hicklin Powersport (Des Moines, IA)

BaJaRon Swaybar, Custom Painted (Sue Hopper), Dashmount, Dongle - BRP, FOBO Tire Monitoring System, Lidlox, Magic Mirror Mounts , Safety Light Package,
    Wide-Vu Mirrors, Hopnel Saddlebag Liners, Saddlebag Nets, F$ Tall Boy Windshield (without Vent)

Odds & Ends
    Ron Bandy Motorcycle Driving Course - ronbandy.com
    1000A Battery Pack, Air Pack, Black Dymond Detailer
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Why get a motorcycle? Fixed up & learnt to ride my first 'bike too many years ago to want to count, been riding ever since, with a few (relatively short)intervals when for various reasons, I couldn't.... Still riding whatever & whenever I can. As for why keep on riding, it's simply that.....

"You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old because you stop riding!"
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-16-2019 at 05:03 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

The thrill of speed, the smell of nature, the beauty of God's earth and the sense of freedom!

Spyder Garage

Default OH Hell, on second thought...

... enough of the polite, thoughtful answers...

at my advanced age, I'll just say that riding my Spyder is the best (maybe the only) available alternative orgasmic experience to sex ... and often better!!!
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Default Absolutely love my bikes, cars and truck and now my Spyder too...

Wheels for me is not just a way to get from point A to point B. It’s a way to move my soul through time and space. I have a half dozen different choices of sweet rides to choose from on a daily basis and I definitely use them all in the same way.
    I use them to clear my mind and to make that part of my day entirely about have a good time and doing something purely for the fun of it..here’s a pics of my two remaining bikes ( I had four over the summer) and my Spyder... its so fun to learn to ride something that’s completely new. That’s one of the coolest things about the Spyder.
    2012 RS-S SM5 , Pure magnesium

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    ... ...... available alternative orgasmic experience to sex ... and often better!!!
    Well, as good a thing as Spyder Ryding is & can be, I can only say one thing about the sex.... if that bolded bit's really the case, then Buddy, you doin' it wrong!

2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Well, as good a thing as Spyder Ryding is & can be, I can only say one thing about the sex.... if that bolded bit's really the case, then Buddy, you doin' it wrong!

Pete, it's not so much a 'technique' issue as it is a matter of 'performance'; the Spyder has never yet let me down, whereas .......
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris View Post
    Can't reach the handle of the refrigerator while sitting on my bike.
    ding-ding-ding we have a winner!

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Back in 1969, when I was 12 years old, I saw my cousin zipping around his backyard on his Rupp minibike. I soon as I rode it, I was hooked. About a week later, I had a new Honda CT70H in my garage (thanks dad!!!!). I've been hooked ever since to the tune of 25+ bikes. My Spyder is simply my "next" adventure, but I foresee a very enjoyable future with it

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

As a kid, riding mini bikes in the fields around us, and also riding on the back of friends motorcycles. Got my first motorcycle when I was 20 and after a couple more of those, got my first Spyder. I'm on my second one now and it appears nothing is going to change... that's a good thing.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White