Spyder Garage

Default Ryker Rally off-road vs my Spyder F3

My first post.

Does anyone know the difference in the new 2019 Ryker Rally semi-off-road vs my 2015 F3? I want to go off-pavement but don't want to damage my Spyder in doing so.

Suggestions to harden my Spyder F3 will be appreciated.

The Ryker Rally Edition is also the first Can-Am 3-wheeler with off-road capability. So says BRP marketing. I think the F3 has 4.5 inch ground clearance vs Ryker Rally has only 4.2 inches.

Thanks,
    Randy

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The only real difference I see......The Ryker has a shaft drive which wouldn't be bothered by dirt, rocks, etc. The F3 has a belt drive. That said I take my Spyder RS (with a belt drive) on dirt roads all the time. Have for 24K miles and never had an issue.

Neither Ryker or Spyder is an "off-road" machine. Dirt roads, yes. Off road like an ATV....no.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    The only real difference I see......The Ryker has a shaft drive which wouldn't be bothered by dirt, rocks, etc. The F3 has a belt drive. That said I take my Spyder RS (with a belt drive) on dirt roads all the time. Have for 24K miles and never had an issue.

Neither Ryker or Spyder is an "off-road" machine. Dirt roads, yes. Off road like an ATV....no.
    In fact, just swap out the bolded 'RS' for 'RT Ltd' & the '24K miles' for '60+K kms' & that post could've been mine!

Just cos your Spyder's got a belt drive (like many other vehicles) it doesn't mean it's 'totally unsuitable' for dirt roads, it just means that you might want to be a little more careful about how you ride (gotta do that cos of the 3 wheels anyway; the rear driving wheel won't quite match up easily in the 2 wheel ruts found on many tracks ) and it probably also pays to check the belt carefully for any small stones etc that it may've picked up after ryding in the dirt.

My RT doesn't have any a/mkt belt guard additions (but those are available if you want them?! - search for 'Missing Belt Guard') but it does have one of Noboot's metal Skid Plates under the front, and I don't usually go out 'actively' searching for dirt roads & fire tracks to ryde, but hey, here in Oz where I live, we've got waaaayyyy more dirt roads than we have sealed reads, and I don't avoid them or even plan routes that actively avoid them.... if it takes ryding on dirt to get wherever it is that I want to go, then I ryde on the dirt & have a blast!! Controlled drifting IS possible, with a gentle right wrist & smooth, gentle steering! Even more so for you on an F3, & especially if you've got Sport Mode!! I haven't ever got (too) stuck yet or done any damage underneath on the dirt (copped some broken placcy clips & scrapes on the black-top tho! Bleedin' pot-hole patches ) and I've done a whole LOT of dirt road kms/miles!

Just get out there, Ryde More, Worry Less, and Enjoy the Miles of Smiles!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-12-2019 at 10:14 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I do think there is a difference with the nanny also the Ryker Rally in the off road mode will shut down most of the nanny controls, you can not do that with the F3. With the nanny shut down it allows one to slide the back tire more to bring it around and slide the front a little more. That is my understanding no sure, maybe someone can verify that?
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 11-13-2019 at 03:03 PM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    I do think there is a difference with the nanny also the Ryker Rally in the off road mode will shut down the most of the nanny controls, you can not do that with the F3. With the nanny shut down it allows one to slide the back tire more to bring it around and slide the front a little more. That is my understanding no sure, maybe someone can verify that?
    I can verify the Ryker Rally in Rally mode (and even in Sport mode to a good degree) allows you to drift the Ryker around turns , fish tail, roast up the rear tire, slide sideways, etc, etc (on any surface, dirt, pavement, etc) if you so desire.

Spyder Garage

the Ryker is much leighter (less 300 lbs ?) and has a much smaller turning circle, the seat is deaper and the tires of the Rally-Modell are more "off-road" - the handling is (also on curvy roads) easier than on a spyder ... the engine feels to have more torque on lower RPMs ..
    so I would say .. do NOT try to follow a Ryker-Rally with your F3 on dirt roads.. (there are some really crazy ryders ) !!!
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats