Spyder Garage

Question Rear Tire Removal

Ok, I know this topic has probably been flogged to death, but I am pretty stressed about removing the rear wheel in order to change tire on my 2013 RT. I have previously removed the wheel on a 2008 GS, but the amount of tupperware and goodies on the RT is making this seem like a much more involved job. I have watched all the utube videos, but I am still uncertain. I was thinking that if I remove the black rear bumper on the RT it will allow so much more room to remove the wheel. Does anyone have an opinion on this idea. Sorry, if I sound like an idiot. I am just trying to save a ton of money by doing it myself, plus Can Am dealer won't mount an automotive tire on wheel in any event.
    2013 RT , Aluminum Spyder Brake Pedal Magnesium

Spyder Garage

Provided you have an adequate lift, you can lift the Spyder enough for the wheel to clear Tupperware and bumper. You may have to disconnect the rear shock (I didn't) and the wiring to the suspension height sensor, if you have one.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderman41333 View Post
    Ok, I know this topic has probably been flogged to death, but I am pretty stressed about removing the rear wheel in order to change tire on my 2013 RT. I have previously removed the wheel on a 2008 GS, but the amount of tupperware and goodies on the RT is making this seem like a much more involved job. I have watched all the utube videos, but I am still uncertain. I was thinking that if I remove the black rear bumper on the RT it will allow so much more room to remove the wheel. Does anyone have an opinion on this idea. Sorry, if I sound like an idiot. I am just trying to save a ton of money by doing it myself, plus Can Am dealer won't mount an automotive tire on wheel in any event.
    I've changed a few rear tires and did all but one ( I was at Spyderfest ) …. I never removed ANY Tupperware , other than my rear Mud flap which is quite long ….. And absolutely remove the rear shock bolt …. then you won't have to touch the adjusters ….. there are many video's on how to do this …… good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

But BEFORE you remove the rear shock bolt, remove the ride height sensor arm as George NautiBrit said above. I also electrical taped over the tensioner end caps on the swing arm to tape the caps to the swing arm.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWtbQPdKd8w
    Finless Bob has a bunch of great videos. I also have a brand new Khumo rear tire to replace this winter. Factory only made it to 13K miles. I have this video saved to reference. The biggest thing is the sensor as mentioned, remove it or it will break!

Spyder Garage

I believe Finless Bob’s rear wheel removal video was done on a 998 RT, maybe a 2011 model. Is this video still pretty accurate for a 1330 RT?

Spyder Garage

No real changes between them Wascoman! Maybe a different 'park brake arrangement' on the rear, but all the important bits for & about rear wheel removal are the same.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

No worries! If you get stuck, call me! My number is below. I’m in pacific time. I’ll be in the shop all morning, working on a Spyder. I have an appointment from 12-2, so phone off. If you are not doing it tomorrow, call when you are, if needed.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Any time I pulled a brake caliper off of anything, I would always tape a wooden block on the brake lever or in the case of a brake pedal, tie it with 550 cord or wire it up, so that nobody could walk by and pull the brake lever or step on the brake pedal........... not accidentally or on purpose. You really need to do this if there are kids around, because they will pull the levers just to see what happens.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver