Spyder Garage

Default What am I doing wrong

Press the LEFT/RIGHT button to select
    the desired trip meter.
    Press the UP button to pause or resume the selected trip meter.
    Press the DOWN button to reset the
    selected trip meter.

2015 RTL

Trying to get the trip meters to work. Followed the directions. Got the meter back to zero, but can't get it to start registering. Stays on zero. What am I doing wrong?

Spyder Garage

This happens to many.

When button shows "pause" the meter is on.

When button shows "resume" the meter is off.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    This happens to many.

?????? Can someone really be that dumb?

Spyder Garage

On mine press it and it selects the trip meter or the total mileage. Press it again and it moves to the next trip meter without re-setting. If you want to re-set the trip meter to zero, press and hold the button while it is on the meter you want to re-set. Pulling the button to the left operates all the mileage functions. Pushing the button to the right works the clock, RPM, fuel mileage, external temp, and settings.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

the "up button" puts it in pause, down and hold slightly, will reset
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    Ummmmm........yeah.

Don't Ask Me How I Know This.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

My wife’s does the same 2015 RTSpecial

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Think about it for a minute and you'll see why it's not dumb! When the meter is recording mileage you push the "Pause" button to pause the recording. Then when you want it to start recording again you push "Resume". Now it makes sense, right? They're not status indicators but rather action indicators!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Do any others use the trip meters the way I do. Trip A is my current annual mileage, I reset it at the beginning of every riding year. Trip B is my current oil mileage, having reset it at the last oil and filter change (I've got one of those more often 998's). My Google maps and Spotwalla track my ride mileage just fine.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

We use A for tank of gas, B for this trip. Annual and oil are on a spreadsheet!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    ^^ Wot 'e said! ^^

Works fine for me!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I use then the same as Joe. Trip A is for currant tank, trip B is for currant trip GPS for low fuel warning and distance to nearest fuel.log book for oil change.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Think about it for a minute and you'll see why it's not dumb! When the meter is recording mileage you push the "Pause" button to pause the recording. Then when you want it to start recording again you push "Resume". Now it makes sense, right? They're not status indicators but rather action indicators!
    The problem is, when in "resume", it still doesn't work.

Spyder Garage

Same here for us.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Exactly! And since I don't have my laptop with me on every ride the maintenance information is on my Zumo 590 in the "Service History" app for redundancy.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

My 2015 RTL trip meter will not reset if the parking brake is on. I use "trip A" for tracking fuel consumption. At the gas station, I have to reset it before I set the parking brake and stop the engine.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    My 2015 RTL trip meter will not reset if the parking brake is on. I use "trip A" for tracking fuel consumption. At the gas station, I have to reset it before I set the parking brake and stop the engine.
    you must have one of the ODD BALL ones. I pump my gas, return nozzle to pump, turn on key, wait for receipt, by that time the "spyder wait" is over. reset trip meter, while still parking brake on
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

This happens to many.

Finally was able to get out and see if the above info was correct. IT IS!! Is the temperature so cold in Canada that it freezes the brains of the Can Am engineers. "Pause" means go, and "Resume" means stop. Did the Mad Hatter make that determination?

Spyder Garage

Finally was able to get out and see if the above info was correct. IT IS!! Is the temperature so cold in Canada that it freezes the brains of the Can Am engineers. "Pause" means go, and "Resume" means stop. Did the Mad Hatter make that determination?
    As I said above they are action indicators, not status indicators. If "Pause" display meant the odometer is stopped then what should the label be to make it clear you push it to resume odometer reading? Isn't that how your car cruise control is labeled? "Resume" there means reactivate CC. Now if the buttons were labeled "Paused" and "On" or "Running" that would be more intuitive, but then the display would need labels to make clear what to do to stop and start odometer recording.

At least that's the way I see it. Makes perfectly good sense to me why the display shows what it does!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

As I said above they are action indicators, not status indicators. If "Pause" display meant the odometer is stopped then what should the label be to make it clear you push it to resume odometer reading? Isn't that how your car cruise control is labeled? "Resume" there means reactivate CC. Now if the buttons were labeled "Paused" and "On" or "Running" that would be more intuitive, but then the display would need labels to make clear what to do to stop and start odometer recording.

At least that's the way I see it. Makes perfectly good sense to me why the display shows what it does!
    The problem is, as indicated above, the response of the system is reversed. In pause, instead of being stopped (or inactive), it goes active and starts registering mileage. In resume, which should indicate reactivation, it is stopped and does not register. Unfortunately, in the Owners Manual, I have not been able to find anywhere in there with a definition of each response.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why, yes. Yes, I did...

~Sandee~.

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Another way to look at it. When you go to make any changes, such as pause, push the button pause and it will do it. If you want it to resume just push the button that says resume, and it will do it.

Usully, you just have to do this once. Most of my adjustments are to clear the number in register A when I fill the tank, and to clear the number in register B when the trip count is over.

But, I still agree with everybody I would like to see it the other way. I don't like reasoning sdrawkcab.
    Actually, it is the reverse of that. It came to me last night. The indicator shows what is CURRENTLY in effect. If showing pause, it is in pause and not registering. When you push pause, it does not go into pause (it is already in pause), but goes into resume and starts registering and the indicator shows resume, what it is in now. The indicator shows what is happening now, not what will happen if you activate the response.

Spyder Garage

Actually, it is the reverse of that. It came to me last night. The indicator shows what is CURRENTLY in effect. If showing pause, it is in pause and not registering. When you push pause, it does not go into pause (it is already in pause), but goes into resume and starts registering and the indicator shows resume, what it is in now. The indicator shows what is happening now, not what will happen if you activate the response.
    Now I have to wait until spring to check this out and see if my understanding is right or wrong! Why or why did you bring this up when most of us have our machines put away for the winter? This is one feature that has to be checked by traveling and can't be verified while the bike is parked!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Now I have to wait until spring to check this out and see if my understanding is right or wrong! Why or why did you bring this up when most of us have our machines put away for the winter? This is one feature that has to be checked by traveling and can't be verified while the bike is parked!
    I know what you mean about winter. It's only been in the 60's for the past few days. Will get up to the 80's by the end of the week.

Spyder Garage

I know what you mean about winter. It's only been in the 60's for the past few days. Will get up to the 80's by the end of the week.
    Some people have it rough! 60°!
    One thing to mention was when I upgraded to 20.8 (which I'm pretty sure everyone already has done), I had issues with my averages not seeming to produce anything like reality. They worked, just were off kilter. Someone very knowledgeable on here told me I had to zero the main odometer to get all the other trip meters to fall in line after the upgrade. That worked for me. Everything is peachy now.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.