Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery replacement

I've owned my 2015 F3s for 4.5 years now. I'm getting ready to take a long trip and wondered if I should replace the battery before I go. This is my first motorcycle battery experience. I have a lot of machinery with batteries and they always seem to last +/- 4 years. Given the spyder is not your average everyday off the shelf battery, should I replace it before I take off? Or trust that it will get me there and back?
    I've added heated gear to my F3 for this trip as well could that also be a factor. Thanks for everybody's help!
    Now
    2021 Sea2Sky
    Former
    2015 F3-S

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Morturf View Post
    I've owned my 2015 F3s for 4.5 years now. I'm getting ready to take a long trip and wondered if I should replace the battery before I go. This is my first motorcycle battery experience. I have a lot of machinery with batteries and they always seem to last +/- 4 years. Given the spyder is not your average everyday off the shelf battery, should I replace it before I take off? Or trust that it will get me there and back?
    I've added heated gear to my F3 for this trip as well could that also be a factor. Thanks for everybody's help!
    Always better SAFE than SORRY your battery has just about lived it's life, play it safe get a new one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The battery in my 2015 lasted just exactly 4 years, before failing to restart after a refueling stop.

And I had just crowed to an onlooker about Spyder reliability! Lucky for me he was already gone when I had to push Rocking Years away from the gas pump. With a full tank!

It happened at 73,500 miles, but mileage doesn't matter.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

I vote for being safe while you're on a road trip. If it makes you feel any better, I replaced mine (Feb 2015) a month ago and my husband replaced his (Sept 2015) on Saturday so we're all in the same boat.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

For peace of mind on your trip -- I would replace battery.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

What battery does a 2015 RTL require. Mine is getting weak so I need to replace it.

Spyder Garage

I replace mine every three years whether they need it or not. Murphy's law states that if a battery does decide to die, it will happen in a most inconvenient place and time.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I live in an Alternate Universe where properly maintained Batteries last for at least 2 years beyond what 99% of owners think they do ……. I bought a decent Lithium battery jumper device for less than $ 50.00 …..I was able to keep my OEM battery for another … 2 years ... before I re-placed it. …. JMHO …. Mike

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I still have the original battery in my 2014 RTS, with no problems, but I will get it tested early in the new season to see just what the cranking power is, and decide at that time whether I should replace it. You can get your battery tested!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

You guys are the best! Really appreciate your help here! Think I'm gonna replace the darn thing... What stinks is they sure don't come cheap! Maybe a followup should be where to pick up a new one.
    Now
    2021 Sea2Sky
    Former
    2015 F3-S

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You guys are the best! Really appreciate your help here! Think I'm gonna replace the darn thing... What stinks is they sure don't come cheap! Maybe a followup should be where to pick up a new one.
    If you're not in a rush to replace search online for a good price. If you are technically proficient go ahead and defy the usual recommendation here on the forum and get a -BS version. That means the acid comes separately in a bottle. You add the acid to the battery, let it soak for a day or two, and then put a slow charge on it, ~2 to 3 amps using a quality battery charger/maintainer. Done properly you'll get just as good life from it as from a factory charged battery.

The general consensus here is the OEM battery, a Yuasa YTX24HL, is overall the best value for money you can get.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The original battery is still in my Honda F6B 2013. I plug in the Tender once a month to keep it good. Works for me. cueman

Spyder Garage

I just had an incident with a dead battery - ironically after a refueling as someone else said.

I had no previous issues, kept it on battery tender (most of the time), no heated gear used. It lasted roughly 3 years. I know AZ heat wears down batteries, but I didn't think it would happen so suddenly.

Moral of the story: It can't hurt to replace it, especially before a long trip!
    2016 RTL "Boris"

Foam Grips
    Utopia Backrest
    BRP Passenger armrests
    Bajaron sway bar
    LED Bumpskid w/remote
    Belt guard
    BRT rear lighting w/strobe
    High mount BRT w/strobe
    Dual a-arm LEDs w/turn signals
    Multicolor underground Halo lighting
    LED headlights and foglights
    FOBO TPMS
    Techgripper phone holder
    Lidlox
    Dual USB with voltmeter
    Dakota Digital Compass/Clock/Altimeter/Temperature Gauge
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 175/55R15 - Fronts
    General Altimax RT43 215/60R15 - Rear

Spyder Garage

Well mine died suddenly on my 2014 Rt LTD. I bought it about 4+ years ago and it had a new battery in it. It might have given a few subtle hints it was getting weak but not strong enuf to ring my bell to change it. Well I had it sitting for 2 or 3 weeks not on the tender and It started so I could position it so I could change the oil and filter, air filter and fuel filter for my 19.000 mile checkup and when I put her all back together she wouldn't turn over at all. Usually my batts in my rides gave me more of a hint before dying. I'm guessing that Spyder tends to go quickly when she goes. I have a battery tender and Deltran (it was not attached the last couple of weeks) said it has a slow draw to the battery with a phone charge attached even when the phone in so plugged in. Luckily this happened in my garage and not on the road. One of the last rides I took was a day trip of about 200 miles and she made it fine. My portable jump start was dead so I could not use it. Anything special to know if I jump it from a car batt? Thanks, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

If you plan to jump start a Spyder from an auto/truck DO NOT have the jumping vehicle's engine running.

I replaced my 5+ year old battery last week with a factory filled and activated Yuasa YTX24HL. Yes, the darn thing was very expensive from the local RideNow dealership. I had to use my Rugged Geek RG 1000 jump pack to get my Spyder restarted when the battery gave up the ghost during an errand stop on the way home from my morning workout at the gym. I knew the battery was going but carry the RG all the time and had never used it before. The RG has been a regular part of my on the road kit for better than two years and will continue to be so even though my battery is brand new.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Can I ask why not have the jumping vehice's engine running? I don't know much about this stuff.

When I had my dead battery my friend came by in his pickup and it was running....and I was able to start it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    If you plan to jump start a Spyder from an auto/truck DO NOT have the jumping vehicle's engine running.

I replaced my 5+ year old battery last week with a factory filled and activated Yuasa YTX24HL. Yes, the darn thing was very expensive from the local RideNow dealership. I had to use my Rugged Geek RG 1000 jump pack to get my Spyder restarted when the battery gave up the ghost during an errand stop on the way home from my morning workout at the gym. I knew the battery was going but carry the RG all the time and had never used it before. The RG has been a regular part of my on the road kit for better than two years and will continue to be so even though my battery is brand new.
    2016 RTL "Boris"

Foam Grips
    Utopia Backrest
    BRP Passenger armrests
    Bajaron sway bar
    LED Bumpskid w/remote
    Belt guard
    High mount BRT w/strobe
    FOBO TPMS
    Techgripper phone holder
    Lidlox
    Dual USB with voltmeter

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ludwig12of45 View Post
    Can I ask why not have the jumping vehice's engine running? I don't know much about this stuff.

When I had my dead battery my friend came by in his pickup and it was running....and I was able to start it that way.
    You are jumping from a high power source to a low power requirement ……. I know about the various regulators that SHOULD prevent any issues …. But, I would leave the auto / trk NOT running ….. good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Mike explained it very succinctly and when one looks at the electronics we're dealing with on a Spyder, why risk it. Additionally on pg. 148 of the 2014 RT Operatpr's Guide it says, "3. Turn off the engine of the other vehicle and all electrical accessories." That's good enough for me.
    Last edited by JayBros; 11-12-2019 at 05:09 PM. Reason: include op guide instructions
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I change all my vehicle batteries every three years. If my battery goes out in far west Texas they will find my cold dead body with my cell phone clutched in my hand. Oh, did I mention, no cell service in that area.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Mr. White, Funny you said this. 2 years ago I was down at Big Bend Park and was thinking about that very thing. I like the boonies so I guess I'm getting a new one!
    Now
    2021 Sea2Sky
    Former
    2015 F3-S

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys. I wish I would have known this BEFORE I did it

Well as far as I can tell there's no damage done (and my hyperflash went away!) so that's a good thing.

Appreciate the tip and will forward the message in the future!

For me, Mike explained it very succinctly and when one looks at the electronics we're dealing with on a Spyder, why risk it. From the get go every time the topic comes up on SL those with far more experience than I say leave the jumper's engine off.
    2016 RTL "Boris"

Foam Grips
    Utopia Backrest
    BRP Passenger armrests
    Bajaron sway bar
    LED Bumpskid w/remote
    Belt guard
    High mount BRT w/strobe
    FOBO TPMS
    Techgripper phone holder
    Lidlox
    Dual USB with voltmeter

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I live in an Alternate Universe where properly maintained Batteries last for at least 2 years beyond what 99% of owners think they do ……. I bought a decent Lithium battery jumper device for less than $ 50.00 …..I was able to keep my OEM battery for another … 2 years ... before I re-placed it. …. JMHO …. Mike
    The lithium battery is used only for a jump start??
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Mr. White;1483845][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3]I change all my vehicle batteries every three years. If my battery goes out in far west Texas they will find my cold dead body with my cell phone clutched in my hand. Oh, did I mention, no cell service in that area.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    I change all my vehicle batteries every three years. If my battery goes out in far west Texas they will find my cold dead body with my cell phone clutched in my hand. Oh, did I mention, no cell service in that area.

I love it--87 yrs old & still playing with toys--I have another skydiving jump planned for my 80th....

Spyder Garage

I must have jump started 15+ vehicles including motorcycles with the engine running from the good battery source. Never a problem.. The only thing I am certain about is once a battery is discharged & recharged, it will fail again in the near future--usually raining at midnight in an airport parking lot :-((