Spyder Garage

Default 2014 STL new engine

My 2014 STL SE5 with 10,000km developed a small oil leak in the engine and looks like the dealer will either rebuild or replace the engine depending on what BRP decides to send them. Anyone have experience with either option? I guess the leak is coming from an area where they will have to tear the engine down to make the repair. Luckily I still have a couple months of warranty left but I'm concerned about having a dealer rebuild the engine. Would like to see if I can push BRP to send a new one

I am not well versed in mechanics so would welcome thoughts from anyone who has experience in Spyder mechanics or who has had an engine rebuilt or replaced.

Thank you in advance, Spencer

Spyder Garage

Really depends on the reputation and experience of the tech involved. I think most don’t have the capacity to rebuild a whole engine, they have more experience at changing oil and fixing small parts. I have seen a tech or two in my area that are very good at rebuilding BRP stuff from jet skis to Spyders.

With the time involved in rebuilding, I would hope they would just send an engine to save them paying tech time.

Spyder Garage

I am also in the replace engine as opposed to rebuild. I would not trust many techs to do a rebuild successfully.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I will make the decision easy for you. There are no new 998 engines available. Out of production for some time and discontinued. Parts to repair are mostly available.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Spoke with the dealer today and BRP sent a new short block. Hopefully it all works out once everything is back together...

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the update.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

just got the bike back with the new block and necessary seals and parts to rebuild. Took it for a short ride, seems fine but won't get a real test till spring.