Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Pre Fire plans - what have you nominated to take

I know this has nothing to do with Spyder ownership but, being an ex firefighter I don't profess to have all the ideas on what to take if my wife and I were given the order to evacuate in a bush fire emergency.

My question is straight. What have you nominated to take if you were told to evacuate in one of the following situations
    1. You are given a warning that you will need to evacuate soon.
    2. You are told you need to leave now.

I have often thought that if we had time to follow a predefined checklist that's easy. But - what if we had a knock at the door saying "you MUST go now, get in your vehicle and leave" what measures should I have in place to make that happen and still take some critical items with me.

One example that springs to mind is medication, like many my age the Dr insists my diet is made up in part of a bunch of tablets that I can't just stop taking at the drop of a hat - or I'll drop flat.

Do you have a prepacked kit on those days were the Fire warning level is at is highest?
    Have You been through this and share some knowledge on your experience?

So, what have you done.
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Wife, myself, and whichever vehicle is the easiest to get to. Luckily we have no critical meds, no pets, and there is nothing here I am willing to die for.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    I know this has nothing to do with Spyder ownership but, being an ex firefighter I don't profess to have all the ideas on what to take if my wife and I were given the order to evacuate in a bush fire emergency.

My question is straight. What have you nominated to take if you were told to evacuate in one of the following situations
    1. You are given a warning that you will need to evacuate soon.
    2. You are told you need to leave now.

I have often thought that if we had time to follow a predefined checklist that's easy. But - what if we had a knock at the door saying "you MUST go now, get in your vehicle and leave" what measures should I have in place to make that happen and still take some critical items with me.

One example that springs to mind is medication, like many my age the Dr insists my diet is made up in part of a bunch of tablets that I can't just stop taking at the drop of a hat - or I'll drop flat.

Do you have a prepacked kit on those days were the Fire warning level is at is highest?
    Have You been through this and share some knowledge on your experience?

So, what have you done.
    Excellent question and topic for discussion. I profess not to have considered it. But my wife and I did sign up with the Neptune Society for cremation at end of life, so that's kind of preparing for a fire event of unknown timing or location!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

1) Susan
    2) Meds
    3) Laptop (this includes cell phone) with all back up files (photos) and communication.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Excellent question and topic for discussion. I profess not to have considered it. But my wife and I did sign up with the Neptune Society for cremation at end of life, so that's kind of preparing for a fire event of unknown timing or location!
    Gee Utapete, I guess if the Bush Fire got you first it would keep the costs down
    2017 RTL , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    Gee Utapete, I guess if the Bush Fire got you first it would keep the costs down
    That's what I'm thinking. My surviving relatives should be able to get a refund of the premiums paid.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Great post. Important papers (titles, birth certificates, passports, etc.) are in a "fireproof" safe but I would grab it anyway along with cell phone and computer. Probably throw in a clean pair of underwear and a bottle of rum..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Great post. Important papers (titles, birth certificates, passports, etc.) are in a "fireproof" safe but I would grab it anyway along with cell phone and computer. Probably throw in a clean pair of underwear and a bottle of rum..... Jim
    Good idea, I'm a bourbon man so have added my bottles to the emergency kit, doubt my insurer would reimburse for their loss so better take em.
    2017 RTL , White