Spyder Garage

Default Dim LED headlight

I had a vendor install LED headlights the summer of 2018. Very bright, really liked them. I noticed this spring that the left headlight was significantly dimmer compared the right headlight. I had the vendor check the light this summer to see what was wrong. The vendor took the headlight out and looked at it and said that the shutter was defective.

Well I looked at getting a replacement headlight. About $240 at BRP. The shutter portion of the headlight cannot be bought separate. I could see that the shutter was operating by looking at the beam pattern but still the light on left side was more dim on bright than the right side on low beam. I decided to take it apart and examine the shutter. The shutter is working perfectly!!!!!

The LED appears to be a 9005 like Lamonster Garage sells. I saw the notches to allow for part of the LED hardware to be placed outside of the case. But the notches were in the lid not the lower part of the case. Also the notches were a bit small and the wires appeared to be crimped (possible damage).

While checking the operation of the shutter and beam pattern the light flicked off several times while I moved the wires around. This lead me to believe that one of the wires is damaged. It is possible that a wire is severed but still making contact inside the sheathing. I cut larger notches in the lower part of the case and moved the wires to the new notches.

I think there are 3 solutions for me to pursue.

1) Leave it alone and run with one light dim and wait for it to go out completely.
    2) Buy a set of LED's from Lamonster Garage and replace the bad one. I would have a spare LED for the future.
    3) Carefully remove the sheathing on the wires to find the possible bad wire and repair it. Not looking forward to that!!

Any thoughts that anyone can pass along to me would be appreciated.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Spyder Garage

Buy another set and replace both. Don't worry about it after that.
    Some of the manufacturers do have a lifetime warranty though.
    Last edited by rick_w; 11-09-2019 at 05:22 PM.
    Rick
    Spyder Lovers Vendor
    Value-Accessories

Spyder Garage

If you can prove the defective led & not the shutter a decent vendor would replace the led. “Decent” to that they would have not blamed the shutter to begging with, unless was just knee jerk reflex because there were lots of shutter issues with led conversions

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Door number 2 please!
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluewoo View Post
    Door number 2 please!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

LEDs can and do go dim. I had a house light that did.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Update

Several weekends ago I removed the faulty LED headlight and replaced it and the other headlight with new LED headlights from Lamonster Garage. Works just fine!!!!!!! I tested the leads from the LED to the driver and one of the leads was OPEN. This confirmed my suspicion that one of the leads was damaged due to the installation by the vender.

I also purchased two LED fog lights to be installed. Well, I started on the left fog light (I know now that I should have started with the right side). I gave up and finished that job this last weekend. I did the right fog light first. Easy! Next on to the left light. Many bruises, scrapes, and cruse words later I got it in but reattaching the air snorkel was even worse.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod