Thread: reduced power

Spyder Garage

Default reduced power

Yesterday I had the dealer perform the annual service on my 2107 F3-S. I change the oil/filter & check everything else is ok the day before taking it to the dealer. I get them to verify [for a small fee] what I've done to keep my warranty. I also asked them to center the steering via buds.
    I picked the bike up some 2 hours later & found the power in 1st gear to be rather dull IE. slower to build revs to approx 3000rpm before changing than it has ever been. Select 2nd gear & rolling on the throttle as one does to build revs to change to 3rd, it very slowly gains revs/speed then finally builds revs very quickly. The same for 3rd gear. 4th, 5th, 6th seem to be ok as the speed has obviously increased.
    I didn't have time to take the bike straight back to the dealer & rang them today, & will be returning it on Monday.
    It is obvious that the tech whilst centering the steering has inadvertently altered something regarding the rev/speed issue.
    I know there are some very clever members on this forum. So to you guys, any ideas?

Spyder Garage

Somebody hasn't accidentally engaged "Eco mode" ?
    2017 F3s-Daytona...After market top-box,- Diy Sports rack,- Diy Windshield & brackets - Sena 20s,- Shad side cases,- Drivers backrest,- 660 Garmin,- Altimate floor boards, - Diy Belt Guard, - Sinister Exhaust,

Spyder Garage

I agree with Ccol as this sounds like Eco mode. Very easy to engage. When engaged there will be a small light on. Your owner's manual will have the info about this.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks Ccol/PW2013STL. That's the first thing I thought & looked at the gauges but no Eco symbol. Pressed the mode button for a couple of seconds & sure enough the Eco light came on, ruling that out.
    It does feel like the Eco mode is on albeit a lot slower for the engine to spool up.

Spyder Garage

Haven't sucked something up into the intake have you treva?
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    Haven't sucked something up into the intake have you treva?
    Thanks for the reply cobweb. The bike was running perfect before I dropped it off at the dealer. Something has gone amiss during that period. If debris was sucked into the intake when the tech test rode the bike post service ,It would cause reduced power in all gears. Still, No harm in having a look at the intake.

Spyder Garage

Any fault codes?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw58 View Post
    Any fault codes?
    Thanks Southpaw, no fault codes.

Spyder Garage

I think you are spot on hypurone. When I rang the dealer & explained the problem, I did ask if the tech had downloaded any updates, he hesitated before he answered no. I didn't say anything but I took that as a ''yes''. Going to the dealer today to sought it out.
    I know you had your ECU flashed. Is that how you overcome your problem? Thanks mate.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 11-12-2019 at 11:09 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by treva View Post
    I think you are spot on hypurone. When I rang the dealer & explained the problem, I did ask if the tech had downloaded any updates, he hesitated before he answered no. I didn't say anything but I took that as a ''yes''. Going to the dealer today to sought it out.
    I know you had your ECU flashed. Is that how you overcome your problem? Thanks mate.
    No, the flash does not modify anything to do with the nanny or any of other stability control systems unfortunately! I am stuck with it like it is...

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

It's shown on the intake manifold treva.Hope they've found the problem.

Spyder Garage

Had the bike at the dealer yesterday & the tech checked everything via buds. The only problem he found was an anomaly with the ''atmospheric pressure sensor''. They will contact BRP for an outcome.
    Buggered if I can find that particular part in the ''cheap cycle parts'' exploded views of the entire electrical system. As to why it should grenade during a service is another mystery. Looks like this is going to be another drawn out issue.[/QUOTE]

Look for a rag/mouse/squirrel in the air intake.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 11-12-2019 at 11:18 AM. Reason: bypass filer in quote
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

It's shown on the intake manifold treva.Hope they've found the problem.
    Thanks Cobwebs, I see the pressure & temperature sensor exhaust emission component. Ref#17. The tech said it was called ''Atmospheric pressure sensor''. & showed me the wording on his phone. Probably the same thing. Do you know if that particular part affects only 1st/2nd/3rd gears?
    I haven't heard back from the dealer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    Look for a rag/mouse/squirrel in the air intake.
    Thanks Revalden, I did look down the air intake [ air filter removed ] after Cobwebs mentioned it. All clear up to the bend in the intake. Can't see around the bend. If it were a rag etc. it would effect revs in all gears.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Cobwebs, I see the pressure & temperature sensor exhaust emission component. Ref#17. The tech said it was called ''Atmospheric pressure sensor''. & showed me the wording on his phone. Probably the same thing. Do you know if that particular part affects only 1st/2nd/3rd gears?
    I haven't heard back from the dealer.
    Same thing different wording variation between countries probably.
    I think what you are feeling is how these things are set up as standard.They are governed to not get full throttle in the first 3 gears till certain revs kick in.
    Mine is a slug at low revs till its hits 4th gear then the ecu lets it have full throttle from anywhere in the rev range.
    If your experiencing even more reduced power than what you had originally well different story then.More than likely it will be the sensor failing and exaggerating the throttle feel if that's what the tech has diagnosed.

Spyder Garage

Same thing different wording variation between countries probably.
    I think what you are feeling is how these things are set up as standard.They are governed to not get full throttle in the first 3 gears till certain revs kick in.
    Mine is a slug at low revs till its hits 4th gear then the ecu lets it have full throttle from anywhere in the rev range.
    If your experiencing even more reduced power than what you had originally well different story then.More than likely it will be the sensor failing and exaggerating the throttle feel if that's what the tech has diagnosed.
    Dealer rang & said BRP are aware of this issue. They Need to do some more tests to confirm, but that won't happen for a least a week. I didn't mention one of the main reasons I took the bike in for service is the upper & lower ball joints on both left & right front suspension arms are shot. They confirmed my findings. When this reduced power issue is fixed along with the replacement of the ball joints, i'll take my RT in for the same ball joint problem. Not a happy camper.

Spyder Garage

Dealer rang & said BRP are aware of this issue. They Need to do some more tests to confirm, but that won't happen for a least a week. I didn't mention one of the main reasons I took the bike in for service is the upper & lower ball joints on both left & right front suspension arms are shot. They confirmed my findings. When this reduced power issue is fixed along with the replacement of the ball joints, i'll take my RT in for the same ball joint problem. Not a happy camper.
    When I went to my dealer for service they said there is two service updates that needed to be performed. Remembering Chuck's / Hyperone experience and now yours. I told them under NO circumstances are they to perform those updates. They said they
    "HAVE TO" make a note in my service records that I declined the updates. I even went so far as to go into the forbidden area of the service bay and tell the mechanic directly not to perform the updates.
    As I remember, One of the updates was to reduce throttle pull in the lower gears to make it smoother???
    Dennis

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    When I went to my dealer for service they said there is two service updates that needed to be performed. Remembering Chuck's / Hyperone experience and now yours. I told them under NO circumstances are they to perform those updates. They said they
    "HAVE TO" make a note in my service records that I declined the updates. I even went so far as to go into the forbidden area of the service bay and tell the mechanic directly not to perform the updates.
    As I remember, One of the updates was to reduce throttle pull in the lower gears to make it smoother???
    Dennis
    That sounds like the updates that VW (sorry cars) did to get their cars legal (from being illegal emissions) and then nobodies car worked correctly!!!
    2009 GS SE5 , MDS wires and NGK Red

Spyder Garage

Dennis
    Thanks Dennis in Lodi. Yes i've suspected all along that something was ''altered'' for want of a better word during the service. I'll keep digging.

Spyder Garage

Dennis
    Who is your service dealer of choice ?

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue