Spyder Garage

Default Maiden voyage for the 2019 RT limited today

Brought it home last Saturday and had to wait for this Colorado weather to warm up a bit and the snow to melt and our dirt road to dry some. Made a loop around the neighborhood about 6 times, both directions and decided to head to the store - about 6 miles away. Definitely gonna take a while to get used it (50 years on two wheels - 3 or 4 hours on three). Mostly everything went well (been reading here extensively which helped a lot - thank you) - BUT I do have something I don't understand.

Many time I've read how well planted the Spyder 'feels'. Multiple times today I felt like the Spyder's front end was floating. Never any shimming or vibration or pulling just that very scary floating feeling. Hopefully I just have a bunch of 'gettin use to it' to do. Thoughts pls.

Otherwise I loved it. As said here, gotta pay attention to your speed - it's faster than it seems - shifts way better at higher rpm's - it brakes real well - love that it downshifts itself - and it looks really good (the Asphalt Grey has a green tint to it).

Thanks - Roger

Spyder Garage

Looks like you are well on your way to being a good Spyder pilot. You're getting the details worked out fast.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I was in the same boat after many years on two wheels ... but I had a couple unpleasant incidents that could've been far worse this summer on my Yamaha Venture (all having to do with how freaking top-heavy it was in low-speed maneuvers), so in early September I bought a 2018 RTL demo sight unseen from a dealer about 950 miles from home, and flew out to pick it up and drive it home; never so much as sat on one before that. I spent 2 days getting here and my initial sense was that the front end floated like crazy!! Learned over a little more riding that relaxing the grip, leaning more into curves, and not over-reacting made a huge difference. Bike goes in the shop next week for its' 3000m/5000km service and they are putting on the Anti-sway bar from Baja Ron, and a few other tweaks while it is there! You WILL get the hang of it!!

Mine is that same color as yours and for the life of me I cannot fathom how they called it Asphalt Metallic..... sort of metallic dark green to my eyes... hence its' name, the Green Goblin...

You can't get there from here....

Mods and Tweaks:
    Showcrome Trunk Rack
    Showcrome LED Trunk Light
    Garmin 390LM
    Spyderzone Floating Hiway Boards
    Spyderzone Mount Dash Bracket
    BajaRon Antisway Bar
    Showcrome full-size brake pedal
    Spyder-2-Go Driver Cup holder
    Ram X phone mount
    SpyderExtras 12 volt Docking Station
    BRP Driver Backrest
    Monster 4K Action Camera
    Spyderzone LED Fender Mount Spotlights
    CASA LED Headlights and Foglights
    2018 RT Limited , Ashphalt Metallic

Spyder Garage

Replies appreciated! The weather tomorrow is warm again - will be logging a few more miles.

Northofthesix - looking at your map, you certainly get a lot of riding in. Maybe the same for us one day.

Spyder Garage

I received my 2019 rtl asphalt grey Wednesday night!! Spent some time on her yesterday and absolutely loved it. Been riding 2 wheels for 15 years and there is some adjustment - but not that much. I plan on running her for 2-3K miles before making any changes (sway bar/ shocks/ tires/ passenger arm rests .......) As far as the color - I agree with Northo - in some light it looks gun metal green and some light it looks more asphalt gray. Regardless - My wife says I've been grinning ear to ear ever since I got her!!
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Retirement has its' benefits!! I have a group of guys that I do two (sometimes 3) major trips a year with, and that means passing through a lot of places on a lot of great highways!!

You can't get there from here....

Mods and Tweaks:
    Showcrome Trunk Rack
    Showcrome LED Trunk Light
    Garmin 390LM
    Spyderzone Floating Hiway Boards
    Spyderzone Mount Dash Bracket
    BajaRon Antisway Bar
    Showcrome full-size brake pedal
    Spyder-2-Go Driver Cup holder
    Ram X phone mount
    SpyderExtras 12 volt Docking Station
    BRP Driver Backrest
    Monster 4K Action Camera
    Spyderzone LED Fender Mount Spotlights
    CASA LED Headlights and Foglights
    2018 RT Limited , Ashphalt Metallic

Spyder Garage

Reader47,

First - congrats and welcome to our group.

My wife's 2018 F3 power stearing is a lot lighter handling than my 2015 F3 so I am sure yours is the same. A light touch on the bars are needed, and more so with yours. Time and practice will help!
    One other thing to check is the pressure in your tires as the fronts should not have more than 20# , and the rear 28#. Over inflation will result in handling as you described.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red