Spyder Garage

Default Used Spyders

Hello all,
    I'm new here so please forgive my transgressions. I'm looking
    at a 2012 RSS SE5 with 39k. Should I be concerned about the
    mileage?
    Thanks for your help.

Spyder Garage

Average of 5,500 miles a year is pretty low as far as miles go. If it is a private sale, ask for service records. If it has been maintained without any serious issues, you should be good. Like anything you buy though, there is always a risk.
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

I would be more concerned about the repair and maintenance history. Have a dealer run the VIN. Then is the bike priced appropriately given the model and mileage.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

40k is nothing for the Spyder as long as it has been reasonably cared for. I would pull the side panels and take a good look at the engine. And check any added accessories. Sometimes they can be shoddily installed (mostly wiring), even if they are good quality products.

All things being equal. I would not hesitate to get a higher mileage Spyder.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

with the others also. Have a dealer run the VIN for you. That will give you the service history. At 39K, it is just getting broke in.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    with the others also. Have a dealer run the VIN for you. That will give you the service history. At 39K, it is just getting broke in.
    … I would be More concerned if it only had 3,000mi. …… I hope you have tested a Spyder with the 1330 engine, you don't want to discover ….you should have bought that instead ( 1330 started in 2014 …… good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks folks, really appreciate the input. As I mentioned, the bike I'm looking is a 2012 RSS SE5 with 39k. If I get it, it will be my first Spyder. It's a killer deal at 5k.

Spyder Garage

That sounds like a pretty good deal, so much so that I would agree with the 2nd and 3rd responders at looking into the maintenance records. Proper maintenance, verified service history and a successful test drive and you are good to go.

Spyder Garage

2012 RT SE5. Different model, same engine and transmission. I have 50,000+ on my spyder with no issues. Oil changed every 4500 miles and have he dealer change brake fluid and coolant every couple of years, which gives me a chance to have them look it over. If the Spyder your looking at has had regular oil changes, it should be fine.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by extremebob View Post
    thanks folks, really appreciate the input. As i mentioned, the bike i'm looking is a 2012 rss se5 with 39k. If i get it, it will be my first spyder. It's a killer deal at 5k.
    buy it today !!!!!

Spyder Garage

$5K is a fantastic deal - go buy it now, if it runs well and makes no weird noises. Then do homework. Watch all the videos you can, especially taking off the panels, where the battery is to check it, all the how-to's etc. Couple things to do:
    1) Order an oil change kit from LaMonster.com. Change the oil & filters regardless!
    2) Check if the battery is original Yausa. I'd replace it if so, they like to go bad quickly. I get mine at Batteries Plus. Never had an issue.
    3) Look at the front sprocket, if it looks like it has red dust on it, you should pull it off and inspect the inside teeth. The pulleys go bad - if you are lucky you will feel & hear chattering when you accelerate and make it home before the pulley goes flying off into a cornfield. I never found mine It isn't hard to replace, plenty of great videos and lots of threads here about it. Mine lasted to 30K miles on both my RSS's.
    4) If you are going to work on it yourself, look up replacing the vacuum lines (3mm ID silicone tubing) they will get cracks and cause problems
    5) Think about a plug and wire kit from Baja Ron (on EBay)
    6) Order a set of brake pads to have on hand (amazon) or replace if less than 1mm thick (lots of videos, easy to do); flush brake fluid.
    7) Speaking of brake fluid, keep both topped off right to the bottom of the threads of the caps. Even a couple teaspoons low will throw a code
    8) Learn how to pull codes - remember if you see anything (check engine, or blinking things) do NOT shut off the bike, get codes before you do. They are stored and cannot be retrieved after you shut down. Only a dealer or someone with the hardware can pull then.
    9) Read the threads on tires. If you have original Kenda's they will not last long (10K if you are lucky). Most of us use car tires.
    10) You can get great deals on factory add ons, being the bike is old-ish. I picked up nice BRP rims that were $550 in the day for $115 shipped a couple months ago!
    11) Add power to the dash. Several good ways to get USB power up there.
    12) Phone holder I use: https://www.amazon.com/Metal-Motorcy...=cruiser_os-20 (I think this is the one).
    13) The 998 VTwin sounds AWESOME with an aftermarket muffler. Super easy to put on. I have an HMF muffler, nice rumble. Straight pipes are way loud.
    14) wrapmyspyder.com has all kinds of cool stuff and wraps to customize!

You will have SO MUCH fun accessorizing, adding LEDs, bumpskid with LEDs, on and on!!

Spyder Garage

Thanks Steven,
    For all the tips. I'm really excited about my first Spyder. I've been checking out every Spyder site I can find. And of course Spyderlovers, what a wealth of information! I'm sure I'll be returning here again and again. I found my Spyder
    Online, of course, it was a couple hundred miles away, finally got by to see it. It
    Turned out to be a really nice bike, runs good every thing works couldn't believe it. It was indeed 5k! Custom seat, front wheels and exhaust. I'm having it shipped home, so don't have it here yet, I'll take pix as soon as I get it.

Spyder Garage

Congratulations, sounds like you made a great deal. Probably very hard to get more fun/dollar than that!

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder Owner

Welcome to the Spyder Forum. Enjoy your new to you Spyder. Always Ryde safe and enjoy your time......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Extremebob View Post
    Thanks Steven,
    For all the tips. I'm really excited about my first Spyder. I've been checking out every Spyder site I can find. And of course Spyderlovers, what a wealth of information! I'm sure I'll be returning here again and again. I found my Spyder
    Online, of course, it was a couple hundred miles away, finally got by to see it. It
    Turned out to be a really nice bike, runs good every thing works couldn't believe it. It was indeed 5k! Custom seat, front wheels and exhaust. I'm having it shipped home, so don't have it here yet, I'll take pix as soon as I get it.
    Well welcome to the insanity. You will enjoy your spyder very much. Practice riding it as it is different, and go a little slow at first just to get used to it. Post early post often and post pictures.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Many of us spend that much just modifying our Spyders to get them how we like them. This is a great deal - if you don't love it, you can sell it inexpensively and get out easily. If you love it, and want to upgrade a bit down the line, you can do the same thing. There is just not very much downside, even if you need to put in some maintenance dollars.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.