Spyder Garage

Default Changing plugs-coil clip?

I was going to change plugs, got the torque screws loose but cant seem to figure out how to pull the coil clips off. Not much room and I don't want to break anything. There is a retainer but I'm not sure how it works.

Spyder Garage

Default Need more info....

Not sure what we are talking about. 998 V- Twin, 1330 triple. 900 triple or the 600 parallel twin. Are you removing the coil or just the wires or both.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Ryker 900 there is a way to remove the coil clip but I do not want to force anything.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
    Ryker 900 there is a way to remove the coil clip but I do not want to force anything.
    It takes a bit of effort to break the boot free from the spark plug. Doesn't hurt to twist it a bit. I assume you've removed the torx screw holding the assembly down. Use a liberal application of dielectric grease on the boots when you re-install. This will make it easier to remove them in the future.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

The white clip that attaches to the coil and boot is what I am having problems with. There is not much slack and I am afraid if I start twisting the boot with removing the clip I will break a wire. Some coils have a red clip that is easy to move and then pull the clip off. I tried pushing down on the tab and pulling but no luck.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Push down on that piece in the rear middle of the clip, try pushing it off gently with a small screwdriver. Pull it off. Pull the spark pack out.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
    Like said on the above post, on the tail end of that clip, where the wires go into it there's a pin ,or post push down on it, some times it pushes hard and at the same time pull back, there's a rubber oring in there so when you have the right combo it will come right off! good luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys, I will try a screwdriver. I tried pushing with my big old fingers but it will probably take something smaller. I wanted to check with someone who has got one off first. I could see myself standing there with a broken clip that I would have a hard time replacing.

Spyder Garage

Well there done! my biggest issue my big hands are not good at getting into small places. There is just a tiny ear that holds the clip from moving. Next time I can do it in less than the hour and 15 minutes. The first time I do a project is a learning time. The plug under the frame was was hardest but not as bad as I thought. I also used dielectric grease as I already had it.