Spyder Garage

Default Need Some Help With OEM HID Headlight Kit Install - 2008-2012 GS/RS/RSS

I have decided to upgrade the headlights on my 2008 GS. I've been using an aftermarket HID conversion kit for several years. But it has become problematic. While looking for a replacement kit. I came across a great deal an a brand new (NOS) BRP, OEM set for $100.00. One problem with HID conversions, and LED as well for that matter. Is that the bulb configuration, and therefore the spread pattern, is different from the original incandescent bulbs. This means the reflector and lens designed for the original bulbs is not correct for the different bulbs. So you tend to get light going where you don't want it and dark spots ahead where you do want it.

Anyway. Got the kit and there are no instructions with it. Called around and was told by more than one supplier, that BRP did not include instructions with the kit. Very odd. But certainly true in my case, if not universal. It does tell you to go to BRP's web site and download the instructions. The theory is that this process saves paper, which saves trees. Which is not true. However, it is a great marketing angle and saves the company money. But I digress.

Don't get me wrong. I am all for a site which provides downloadable information like this. Great service and much appreciated! The only problem being. They don't have the instructions for this particular kit. BRP Part# 219400083

If someone out there in the vast expanse of our SpyderLovers world has a set laying around. Maybe we can work something out. It would be greatly appreciated.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ron, contact the light supplier listed below...I too have been a HID fan for many years, but the last set of lights I got were LED's from HR and they perform every bit as good as my HID's and they are instant on...Plus you might be able to get set up as a supplier...

https://headlightrevolution.com/

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    Ron, contact the light supplier listed below...I too have been a HID fan for many years, but the last set of lights I got were LED's from HR and they perform every bit as good as my HID's and they are instant on...Plus you might be able to get set up as a supplier...

https://headlightrevolution.com/
    Thank you for the input. But I do not see that they carry a conversion kit for the Spyder. In either the HID or LED options. There are a good number of LED conversion kits available for the 2013+ Spyders. But none that I've been able to find for the 2008-2012 models. Besides. I've already purchased the BRP kit. And I really like the idea of having the lens and reflector specifically engineered for the HID light pattern. These kits retailed for nearly $1,000.00 in the beginning. But now that the latest Spyder that these will work on is 7, going on 8 years old. The dealerships are liquidating them at great prices!

I can probably install my BRP kit without instructions. I'd just like to have them if I can get them. I know that someone out there has a set laying around. Finding that person. That's going to be the problem.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 11-08-2019 at 10:19 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I have decided to upgrade the headlights on my 2008 GS. I've been using an aftermarket HID conversion kit for several years. But it has become problematic. While looking for a replacement kit. I came across a great deal an a brand new (NOS) BRP, OEM set for $100.00. One problem with HID conversions, and LED as well for that matter. Is that the bulb configuration, and therefore the spread pattern, is different from the original incandescent bulbs. This means the reflector and lens designed for the original bulbs is not correct for the different bulbs. So you tend to get light going where you don't want it and dark spots ahead where you do want it.

Anyway. Got the kit and there are no instructions with it. Called around and was told by more than one supplier, that BRP did not include instructions with the kit. Very odd. But certainly true in my case, if not universal. It does tell you to go to BRP's web site and download the instructions. The theory is that this process saves paper, which saves trees. Which is not true. However, it is a great marketing angle and saves the company money. But I digress.

Don't get me wrong. I am all for a site which provides downloadable information like this. Great service and much appreciated! The only problem being. They don't have the instructions for this particular kit. BRP Part# 219400083

If someone out there in the vast expanse of our SpyderLovers world has a set laying around. Maybe we can work something out. It would be greatly appreciated.
    Hey Ron, I installed OEM HID's on my 08 several years back. I'm sure I still have the instructions but it may take awhile for me to find them. As best I remember if you are running factory fogs you need an additional harness for the install. I let you know when I find the instructions. Dennis

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YPILOT View Post
    Hey Ron, I installed OEM HID's on my 08 several years back. I'm sure I still have the instructions but it may take awhile for me to find them. As best I remember if you are running factory fogs you need an additional harness for the install. I let you know when I find the instructions. Dennis
    Great! That would be fantastic!

You are correct. If you are running the OEM fogs you need a jumper harness. But I'm not running the factory fogs. I had them. But frankly, they didn't seem to do anything for me. They are mounted too high. I have aftermarket LED fogs from SpyderPops mounted low on the Frunk. They were much easier to install and work a lot better. Besides. Driving a motorcycle in fog heavy enough to need fog lights is not my idea of 'Good Fun'!

Thanks again for looking! Why BRP dose not have these instructions in their very vast and comprehensive web site is beyond me. With my luck. These are the only instructions they don't have!

Spyder Garage

Good News Ron,I managed to find the instructions that you need. I may be able to bring them down tomorrow afternoon or Monday.Dennis

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YPILOT View Post
    Good News Ron,I managed to find the instructions that you need. I may be able to bring them down tomorrow afternoon or Monday.Dennis
    I am sorry. I did not see this post. I believe you have my phone number so I assume that since I did not hear from you, you didn't make it yesterday?

Awesome that you found those instructions! Rare as hen's teeth, it appears! I will make a copy of them and return the originals to you. Just let me know.

Thanks again! Much appreciated! As always! This forum is a treasure trove of resources you just can't get anywhere else!

Spyder Garage

I have mine can send if nothing else works out
    2009 GS , MSD wires Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CANUSASwede View Post
    I have mine can send if nothing else works out
    Any way I can get them would be great. If you have the ability to scan them to files. You could email them to me. Or, if you want to mail them to me I'd pay shipping both ways and return them to you. I appreciate the help.

Spyder Garage

Just got 9-page scanned-to-PDF sent via email to you
    2009 GS , MSD wires Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CANUSASwede View Post
    Just got 9-page scanned-to-PDF sent via email to you
    Thank you! Appreciate getting this help.