Spyder Garage

Default Bike wont start, showing VSS/Brake failure fault

Bike started, moved to driveway to warm up. Stopped it while kitting up.
    Went to restart. Nada. Not in gear, battery was juiced. Tried to jump it anyway, still nada.
    Showing VSS/Brake failure fault.
    Pushed it back into the yard and started looking at the bike. Battery good.
    What I did notice was a wire with a green connector that was just lying there towards the positive battery connector. the cable terminated on a box under the center cowling. I tried to look up the box and the wire and what it might connect to in the online service manual schematics and cant find it.

Any suggestions? Am I going to have to take this to Ride Now in Chandler and pay them a lot of money for a simple fix?

I just paid them a ton to service this about a month ago. I':m kind of ticked its down so soon after.

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I also checked every fuse on the bike and had correct brake fluid levels.

Spyder Garage

That connector is probably for a battery tender. I have one on my RSS. First off take off the battery connections (to hard reset everything for sure) and clean up the cable connections with emery paper or a wire brush. Do same for battery terminals. When they are shiny cleaned put back together TIGHT. Then spray some WD40 on them to give a seal. Then key on - does computer boot and look normal? When you hit MODE button, hold brake pedal HARD, what exactly happens? Does the computer flicker off? Does engine start click? You didn't accidentally hit the emergency off button on right handlebar did you - that happens more than I like to admit! Then check fuses as mentioned. If the bike doesn't click or make any sound try swapping relays. Let us know step by step what you see and hear when trying, may help us better to help you!

Spyder Garage

Just on the off chance, try operating the Kill Switch a few times. They can get a bit 'sticky' over time & a few of us have been caught with a 'Kill switch ON' type failure to start (sometimes with odd error codes displaying, sometimes not! ) that's been remedied by flicking the switch on & off a few times or by giving it a squirt of contact cleaner or even WD40. Worth a shot! Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I have a 2011 spyder rss and the emergency brake does not work. Do you know where the emergency brake line runs to the engine?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mcqudavw View Post
    I have a 2011 spyder rss and the emergency brake does not work. Do you know where the emergency brake line runs to the engine?
    On the 2012 RSS the parking (emergency) brake cable runs to the rear wheel disc brake assembly. There is a cable adjustment there. Try adjusting that.