Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I realize this thread is a few months old, but I'll give it a try. I have read all the hyperflash threads and attempted all the listed remedies so far without success.

I originally had front fender and "A" arm LED turn signals prior from another vendor and had no issues with hyperflash. I recently installed some new units from TricLed and have experienced various rates of hyperflash. At first, it was anywhere between about 6-7 normal rate flashes with a brief second or two of hyperflashing intermixed.

Contacted TL and tried their method which also did not work.

Today, after having worked on my battery connections (found a slightly loose positive terminal), I now have rapid hyperflash all the time. Coincidence?

Anyway, tried the reset remedies again without success.

Any suggestions for what I should try next?

Thanks.
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARNIE R View Post
    I realize this thread is a few months old, but I'll give it a try. I have read all the hyperflash threads and attempted all the listed remedies so far without success.

I originally had front fender and "A" arm LED turn signals prior from another vendor and had no issues with hyperflash. I recently installed some new units from TricLed and have experienced various rates of hyperflash. At first, it was anywhere between about 6-7 normal rate flashes with a brief second or two of hyperflashing intermixed.

Contacted TL and tried their method which also did not work.

Today, after having worked on my battery connections (found a slightly loose positive terminal), I now have rapid hyperflash all the time. Coincidence?

Anyway, tried the reset remedies again without success.

Any suggestions for what I should try next?

Thanks.
    A bad / loose connection will always cause an issue..... those issues will vary depending on the power draw ….. " is Hyper-flash " illegal …. Not in Vermont, here you must have a working turn signal, but it isn't specific about the number of flashes " per second " …. If you have mandatory veh. inspections in your Sate any inspection station can tell you what it says in the inspection manual. ….. AND if will / should be honored by every other State ….. Law enforcement officers know ( or should know ) what is required by Fed. DOT regs. and those regs are the final Rule …. My 2014 RT is lit up like a Christmas tree with various AMBER & RED Led's ….. On a few occasions I have been stopped by LEO's ( young ones ) and during the discussion about the Added lights, I have brought up the Fact that all the A & R led's are in compliance with Fed DOT regs ( as far as color and the placement of them ) …. I haven't received any tickets for a light violation ….. check with your State reguirements …… sorry for the length of my answer ….. good luck ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

I am still trying to figure out this hyperflash stuff.

Today, I installed two load resistors, one on each of the front turn signals, in an attempt to correct my hyperflash situation. Initially, they made no difference. I then disconnected the TricLed sequential fender and the A-arm dual mode units and load resistors then tried a "reset" of the Spyder's basic turn signal rate. All was temporarily back to normal.

A brief history. My first led add-ons were Custom Dynamics led fender turn signals - these caused no issues. My next add-ons were led turn signals to the side cases - these also caused no issues. The latest were the TricLed units, which replaced the Custom Dynamics units and this is when the hyperflashing began. The Custom Dynamics system had all of the turn signal leds on one run, so they all came on together.

The TricLed's actually have separate flasher "controllers" inside each of their respective wiring harnesses and everything runs as marker lites until the turn signals are activated, at which point, the Spyder's system sends the signal to each of the TricLed's harnesses thru the connected turn signal wires. The sequential fender units appear to be operating normally (speed wise) by themselves, however, the remaining turn signals all behave erratically and randomly.

I had a 20 minute period when all appeared to be fine after putting in the load resistors back in and the flash rate was normal. Then, just before buttoning everything back up, I did a final test and started getting anywhere from fully hyperflashing mixed with random half and half mix, similar to an engine starting to miss. Seemed to vary depending on whether the engine was running or not , but there was no particular definite pattern either way. I pulled out the resistors without any change being observed after that.

I contacted TricLed and it was suggested that I add two 300 ohm, 1/2 watt resistors, in-line on to the rear turn signals. Does anyone with any electronic knowledge have any experience with such a set-up or have any other clues or suggestions? (I have tried all the on-line reset procedures to no avail) I am willing try anything so I don't look like I am pumping out machine gun bullets while stopped at a traffic lite.

Thanks
    2014 ST-S Cognac

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARNIE R View Post
    I am still trying to figure out this hyperflash stuff.

Today, I installed two load resistors, one on each of the front turn signals, in an attempt to correct my hyperflash situation. Initially, they made no difference. I then disconnected the TricLed sequential fender and the A-arm dual mode units and load resistors then tried a "reset" of the Spyder's basic turn signal rate. All was temporarily back to normal.

A brief history. My first led add-ons were Custom Dynamics led fender turn signals - these caused no issues. My next add-ons were led turn signals to the side cases - these also caused no issues. The latest were the TricLed units, which replaced the Custom Dynamics units and this is when the hyperflashing began. The Custom Dynamics system had all of the turn signal leds on one run, so they all came on together.

The TricLed's actually have separate flasher "controllers" inside each of their respective wiring harnesses and everything runs as marker lites until the turn signals are activated, at which point, the Spyder's system sends the signal to each of the TricLed's harnesses thru the connected turn signal wires. The sequential fender units appear to be operating normally (speed wise) by themselves, however, the remaining turn signals all behave erratically and randomly.

I had a 20 minute period when all appeared to be fine after putting in the load resistors back in and the flash rate was normal. Then, just before buttoning everything back up, I did a final test and started getting anywhere from fully hyperflashing mixed with random half and half mix, similar to an engine starting to miss. Seemed to vary depending on whether the engine was running or not , but there was no particular definite pattern either way. I pulled out the resistors without any change being observed after that.

I contacted TricLed and it was suggested that I add two 300 ohm, 1/2 watt resistors, in-line on to the rear turn signals. Does anyone with any electronic knowledge have any experience with such a set-up or have any other clues or suggestions? (I have tried all the on-line reset procedures to no avail) I am willing try anything so I don't look like I am pumping out machine gun bullets while stopped at a traffic lite.

Thanks
    Arnie I see you read my post .... Does Va. have a veh. inspection that " specifies the number of flashes " ?? .... if not then why be concerned , Folks here add Lighting worth 100's or way more so they are more " noticeable " .... well Hyper-flashing turn signals are a lot more noticeable. .... Just trying to make your life less stress-full ..... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-01-2020 at 01:01 PM.

Spyder Garage

Can Bus systems use current load circuitry to monitor the turn signals and warn of a lamp failure. The TricLed sequential controller could possibly draw right at the threshold of the lamp failure warning current level. This might cause the intermittent Hyper Flash as the computer can't decide if there is a bad lamp or not. That would be the reason they suggested the additional load resistors. Other than that, I would suspect a bad connection of some form within your system.
    2019 Spyder RT Limited , 2" brake pedal riser with wide pedal Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

All has finally been corrected regarding the hyperflash.

TricLed recommended getting some 1/2 watt 300ohm resistors and installing them directly inline with the turn signal wires of their units, which in turn, connect directly to the Spyder's turn signal wires. This stopped all hyperflashing immediately, so I commenced to soldering up two new mini-harnesses and installed them today. All is working now to my relief.

Thanks everyone for any comments or suggestions.......now, if we can just do something about this weather so I can get out and ride.............
    2014 ST-S Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JackinSpokane View Post
    I did this on my 2014 RT-L and it has been working normally for years:

Should your blinkers go into Hyper-flash, you can try the following procedure to fix this.

1. Turn the bike on.

2. Hold down the hazard light switch on for 30-45 seconds.

3. Turn the hazards off and put the right signal on and turn the bike off right after the first blink on the blinker.

4. Repeat the same process for the left side.

You may want it to flash normally because the hyperflash is there to tell you that you have a lamp gone bad.
    I realize this thread is pretty old now, but I just added LEDs front and rear to my turn signals. They were doing the hyper-flash thing, so I decided to give this a try. It worked beautifully! Once it's warm enough to actually take it for a ride later this week, I will see if it's a permanent fix or not. Thanks for the tip!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-07-2022 at 09:40 AM. Reason: thread ;-)

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

I'm pretty sure it all depends on Where you are , and I am an old retired Diesel Mechanic , not far from the Va. state line . and any over the road Truck Driver will tell you how Picky Va. D.O.T. are . I would Ask somebody down at your DMV . and Maybe they can really tell you what the law is in Va. J.M.O.P.
    2011 RTS Spyder

Spyder Garage

Some states make you have an inspection sticker along with your registration sticker on your plate!!! Just another way to tax the public and put more money in the general fund!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl