Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Are Fast Flash turn signals illegal in US? Unsafe? If so, how to fix? (LED bulbs)

I just installed the LED rear turn signal lights in my F3L per the YouTube video by Nuke (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls5l_AMQVBI). I love that they are much brighter and easier to see but they do cause the turn signals to go into hyperflash. Honestly, I actually like the faster flash and think it might be more visible to other drivers but I was wondering if it was illegal or unsafe to leave it like this. If so, does anyone know how to fix it? His video stated he hadn't found a solution yet.

Spyder Garage

LED's draw so little current the system can't make up it's mind if anything is there or not. You may have to install something like this:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehi...1468&year=2019
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I could be wrong but I think Lamonster has a how to video describing the fix for this.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    I could be wrong but I think Lamonster has a how to video describing the fix for this.
    Their video is for older models but I will try it on my 2019. Is it wrong is damaging if I just leave it on hyperflash?

Spyder Garage

we have 2015's and Lamonster's video fixed the hyperflash for me (I didn't like it). My hubby likes it and left it. It hasn't seemed to cause any damage in the last 4 years. That said, I don't know for sure.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rbflapjack View Post
    I just installed the LED rear turn signal lights in my F3L per the YouTube video by Nuke (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls5l_AMQVBI). I love that they are much brighter and easier to see but they do cause the turn signals to go into hyperflash. Honestly, I actually like the faster flash and think it might be more visible to other drivers but I was wondering if it was illegal or unsafe to leave it like this. If so, does anyone know how to fix it? His video stated he hadn't found a solution yet.
    I 'll answer your question ( I'm a former LEO ) …. my Toyota Pk had had fast flash also, before I bought the resistors to fix , I had to have my trk. inspected. While I was waiting, the mngr. ( who is a friend ) told me this - fast flash was not specifically mentioned in the State of Vt " vehicle inspection manual " …… however Fast Flash is not OEM from the manufacturer, and an ANAL nit-picker could claim " therefore it violates non-OEM standards " ….. good luck ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

I followed Lamonster's Hyper Flash video to correct the issue on my 2017 F3-L and it corrected the issue.
    The WildBat - 2017 Can-Am Spyder F3-L
    Little Bre - 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST-S
    Phantom 2.0 - My SuperSpyder. 2008 Can-Am Spyder SM5

Spyder Garage

My LED signal lights caused the hyperflash and I tried the "Internal' fix-- but it kept returning. I installed the resistors and all is good for the last 4 years.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I 'll answer your question ( I'm a former LEO ) …. my Toyota Pk had had fast flash also, before I bought the resistors to fix , I had to have my trk. inspected. While I was waiting, the mngr. ( who is a friend ) told me this - fast flash was not specifically mentioned in the State of Vt " vehicle inspection manual " …… however Fast Flash is not OEM from the manufacturer, and an ANAL nit-picker could claim " therefore it violates non-OEM standards " ….. good luck ….. Mike
    Thanks. This is mainly what I was looking for. I will leave it for awhile. If it annoys me, I will search for a fix. If I like it, I will wait and see what happens at my next inspection.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rbflapjack View Post
    Thanks. This is mainly what I was looking for. I will leave it for awhile. If it annoys me, I will search for a fix. If I like it, I will wait and see what happens at my next inspection.
    Your welcome …. I'm sure this reg. is State specific ….. Before it becomes an issue, any inspection station that does mtc's should be able to confirm …. good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

I don't really think fast flash turn signals are illegal. Never heard of anyone getting stopped for them. All the old can type flashers would go into fast flash mode on just about any tow vehicle if you hooked a trailer up and added the 2 extra incandescent turn signals back in the days before LED technology. The way to stop that was to add the special heavy duty flasher can to your truck, but very few did it. A lot of the more modern turn signal controllers have electronically timed flash rate that don't depend on load for the flash speed. There are plenty of different controllers in small size units available to correct the blink speed problems.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

It is a legal requirement for manufacturers under Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS). That if a turn signal bulb stops working. The turn signal system must indicate to the operator that there is a problem by. Not lighting at all or lighting but not flashing or flashing at a dramatically different rate. I have not found a flash rate in the standard and that is a surprise. This regulation will likely be reflected in state law somewhere. That is how it is normally done. The states just copy FMVSS. But that is not guaranteed.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

2019 f3 limited found a bulb on Amazon that worked no hyper flash 16.99 for 2

EverBright 2800Lumen 7507 Led Bulb,
    No Hyper Flash BAU15S PY21W 5009 12496 Front Rear Turn Signal Bulb,
    Canbus Error Free Led Turn Signal Lights Amber Yellow 3014 Chipset 144SMD (Pack of 2)

Spyder Garage

Being retired for 6 years, I had to go back and look at WI Ss. I know headlight modulator's have a specific flash rate. Here's WI state statute re: flash rate. None specified for turn signals.

347.115  Modulating headlamps for motorcycles, motor bicycles or mopeds. A motorcycle, motor bicycle or moped may be equipped with and use a means of modulating the upper beam of the headlamp between a high and a lower brightness at a rate of 200 to 280 changes per minute. A headlamp may not be modulated during hours of darkness.

347.15  Direction signal lamps or devices.
    (2) Except as provided in sub. (1), there shall be at least 2 direction signal lamps showing to the front on motor vehicles and at least 2 showing to the rear on motor vehicles, mobile homes, recreational vehicles, trailers and semitrailers, so as to indicate intention to turn right or left. Lamps showing to the front shall be located on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and lamps showing to the rear shall be located on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable. Such lamps shall project a flashing white or amber light visible to the front and a flashing red or amber light visible to the rear. Direction signal lamps when in use shall be plainly visible and understandable from all distances to 300 feet during normal sunlight. No direction signal lamp shall have any type of decorative covering that restricts the amount of light emitted when the direction signal lamp is in use. When actuated, such lamps shall indicate the intended direction of turning by flashing the lights showing to the front and rear on the side toward which the turn is made. This subsection does not apply to any type of decorative covering originally equipped on the vehicle at the time of manufacture and sale.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

When I was a auto inspector in PA there was a minimum flash rate which I think was 45 flashes in 60 seconds but there was no maximum rate.But I was allowed to fail any vehicle with what I perceived as a safety issue and if need be it would be resolved by a visit by a state trooper.Personally I would fail your bike.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    When I was a auto inspector in PA there was a minimum flash rate which I think was 45 flashes in 60 seconds but there was no maximum rate.But I was allowed to fail any vehicle with what I perceived as a safety issue and if need be it would be resolved by a visit by a state trooper.Personally I would fail your bike.
    So, if the flash rate exceeds 45 flashes/minute (state minimums) and their is no maximum under statute, you'd fail it ? Based on your personal opinion of a safety issue ? It sounds like it meets state requirement. I'd approve it.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

In the State of Commiefornia a hyper flash could be considered a malfunction and thereby an enforcement stop could be initiated and possible citation could result. Most of those "coulds" are because of ambiguities in the law and is left to the officer's interpretation.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

I did this on my 2014 RT-L and it has been working normally for years:

Should your blinkers go into Hyper-flash, you can try the following procedure to fix this.

1. Turn the bike on.

2. Hold down the hazard light switch on for 30-45 seconds.

3. Turn the hazards off and put the right signal on and turn the bike off right after the first blink on the blinker.

4. Repeat the same process for the left side.

You may want it to flash normally because the hyperflash is there to tell you that you have a lamp gone bad.
    2020 RT-Limited , Petrol Metallic Chrome Edition

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JackinSpokane View Post
    I did this on my 2014 RT-L and it has been working normally for years:

Should your blinkers go into Hyper-flash, you can try the following procedure to fix this.

1. Turn the bike on.

2. Hold down the hazard light switch on for 30-45 seconds.

3. Turn the hazards off and put the right signal on and turn the bike off right after the first blink on the blinker.

4. Repeat the same process for the left side.

You may want it to flash normally because the hyperflash is there to tell you that you have a lamp gone bad.
    You may not have not noticed that the OP has a 2019. The procedure you have outlined does not work on the new display starting in 2018.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

we have 2018 and 2019 f3t i put led in
    2019 f3t , titanium

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbear View Post
    2019 f3 limited found a bulb on Amazon that worked no hyper flash 16.99 for 2

EverBright 2800Lumen 7507 Led Bulb,
    No Hyper Flash BAU15S PY21W 5009 12496 Front Rear Turn Signal Bulb,
    Canbus Error Free Led Turn Signal Lights Amber Yellow 3014 Chipset 144SMD (Pack of 2)

Thanks for the information on these bulbs. I installed a set in my 2019 F3 Limited. They fit just fine, are much brighter than the stock bulbs, and as you mentioned no hyper flash. Thanks again.
    2019 F3 Limited , Big Bike Parts full size pedal Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Not to argue or agree with any of the previous insights, just a bit of applied experience from Texas. I just had my second annual safety inspection on my 2017 RT after having SpyderPop's Full View LED turn signals installed in fast flash mode, and the inspector did not raise them as an issue either this year or last.

(The safety inspection in Texas is not what you'd call very thorough, I'll admit -- the only check is for operating headlights, taillights, brake lights and turn signals, and the horn if you have one. Thankfully the price matches the level of effort on their part -- $7.00.)
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

NJ tops the Texas not very thorough inspection. There is no inspection requirement for any vehicle classified as a motorcycle. In fact, NJ is not interested in vehicle safety, there is only an emissions test for cars. New vehicles are not required to have emissions inspection for the first 5 years. After a car is 5 years or older it's once every 2 years. NJ used to be so strict people lost sleep over inspections. For example if a motorcyclist arrived for inspection and he/she did not have two 4 inch square pieces of reflective tape in the helmet, the motorcycle failed the safety inspection test, now nothing.
    The explanation for the change is that LEO's will do a safety inspection when they stop a vehicle!!!

Spyder Garage

I love them very bright

Spyder Garage

Safety inspections? what is this thing you speak of?

We've never had those here.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White