Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Not blown out of proportion at all. When a Recall is issued it IS a big issue - and wheels falling off is about as bad as it gets.
    There are like 7 documented cases and the recall isn't a "Do Not Operate" the vehicle type of recall. No one knows what caused this guys wheel to fall off but it was supposedly just at the dealer. So draw your own conclusions. All I'm saying is this isn't some widespread issue and the internet does in fact blow it out of proportion.

Spyder Garage

Spyder fires of a few years back were not a widespread issue either nor was it a 'Do Not Operate' recall but it was a BIG issue if yours caught fire - or if a wheel falls off your Ryker these days. It all depends on where you're sitting.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

The most important thing that I can see is that every one that have the bikes in the time span of this screw up, be careful!! If you want to ride LOOK them over! Why they would build a wheel nut out of alum just blows my mind! I have spent 40 years in the welding and fab field, working side by side with some really smart engineers, but some times things don't work!!! If all your ducks are in a row, finest kind, but one gets out of that row your #$%^!!! All you need is one bad batch of material and this is what you get! My thoughts are, why take some things to this hairy edge, and put your bacon that far out?? To every one with the Ryker's be safe, ask the questions, and keep your eye on the problem!! P.S, I would have said nuts, but would want to offend any lady's out there riding one!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I'll make sure I check my nuts often

Spyder Garage

Default I can't think of any other location to save production cost

That would be worse to save money than the wheel lug nut
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

I'm not going to make any friends but I'm getting old and could care less. Reading all the threads and posts complaining about the Ryker BY PEOPLE WHO DON'T EVEN OWN ONE is really getting old!
    Spyder F3-S Special Series my traveling ride
    Ryker Rally modified for dual sport duty
    Honda Grom heavily modified for dual sport duty
    Ducati Scrambler Icon Dark my other traveling ride

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by poli View Post
    I'm not going to make any friends but I'm getting old and could care less. Reading all the threads and posts complaining about the Ryker BY PEOPLE WHO DON'T EVEN OWN ONE is really getting old!
    Amen Brother, couldn't agree more

Spyder Garage

Nuts!!! ⚙️⚙️

Spyder Garage

Watch your nuts brother!!! And if I find you beside the road , I will pick you up, even if I don't ride one!!!!!!! Good Day!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Watch your nuts brother!!! And if I find you beside the road , I will pick you up, even if I don't ride one!!!!!!! Good Day!!!
    And I would greatly appreciate you stopping and helping me. My comments weren't directed at this particular thread. But reading all the posts from the year since the Ryker was added to this forum, the majority of complaining has been by non Ryker owners and it come to a boil at this time. Complaining about the design of the bike, the materials used, the use of the bike, the maintenance and about BRP in general. I love my Ryker and wouldn't take anything for it and have absolutely no issues with it. I have no issues with my Spyder either but they are two totally different bikes with two totally different purposes (at least for me). Yes, they had an issue with a vendor on a batch of wheel nuts, but they are correcting it. I have complete confidence in my Rally and it's design and am just asking that if you don't own one please quit bashing them. There are plenty of sections on here to discuss your Spyder. Have a good day and enjoy the ride.
    Spyder F3-S Special Series my traveling ride
    Ryker Rally modified for dual sport duty
    Honda Grom heavily modified for dual sport duty
    Ducati Scrambler Icon Dark my other traveling ride

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

And I would greatly appreciate you stopping and helping me. My comments weren't directed at this particular thread. But reading all the posts from the year since the Ryker was added to this forum, the majority of complaining has been by non Ryker owners and it come to a boil at this time. Complaining about the design of the bike, the materials used, the use of the bike, the maintenance and about BRP in general. I love my Ryker and wouldn't take anything for it and have absolutely no issues with it. I have no issues with my Spyder either but they are two totally different bikes with two totally different purposes (at least for me). Yes, they had an issue with a vendor on a batch of wheel nuts, but they are correcting it. I have complete confidence in my Rally and it's design and am just asking that if you don't own one please quit bashing them. There are plenty of sections on here to discuss your Spyder. Have a good day and enjoy the ride.
    Agreed, got my Rally as sort of a hooligan bike. It fits the role perfectly. Now I'm working on making it a short distance tourer. Had the nuts changed already, no big thing.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

BRP Better start writing some multi Million dollar Liability cheques to get rady for the lawsuits if they don't fix this NOW- and with something that makes sound engineering sense not that they have been supplying!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-17-2019 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Avoiding language filter

Spyder Garage

Poli,
    I think you might be reading too much into these comments. Thread starters and posters also complain about the design of the Spyder models, the materials used in the Spyder models, the use of Spyder models, the maintenance of Spyder models and BRP in general. I have reread all the posts here and can not see one post on this thread bashing the Ryker per se. They are simply questioning/bashing BRP in general and would be saying the same things if it was Spyder wheel nuts falling off. Sure, there are bound to be some threads on the site that run down the Ryker, exactly as there are threads running down the F3, the RT the RS etc, but they are infrequent.
    Personally, I would not buy a Ryker because I have sat on one and don’t believe I could get comfortable with my loooong frame, but that’s just me, and I would love to have one in my stable
    I understand where you are coming from, but try reading the posts from a different perspective. You may find they are not as “Ryker Critical” as you believe

Pete

Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I think Spyder owner are jealous since Ryker cost only 1/3 of RT and it is more fun to ride.

Spyder Garage

IMO the Ryker to Spyder is like the Harley Sportster to the Road King. They are both of the same family, but serve different purposes and have big cost differences. I had NO intention of purchasing a Can Am until I saw the Ryker. Due to physical limitations related to age ailments, I can no longer enjoy riding a two wheeler and the Ryker gives me the same feeling that I got from taking off on a ride. It ALMOST has the two wheel experience feeling. That is my reason for choosing the Ryker over the Spyder. That said, I could have waited until the glitches were ironed out in a year or two, BUT I knew that if any glitches were discovered, the company would take care of them via recalls. They have. My wheel nuts were replaced BEFORE I received my notice in the mail. Shoot, Harley had years of manufacturing before they fixed the oil leaks. They were known to have a common trait of "marking their spot." I realize that having wheels falling off is a big deal and not just an oil leak, but that is such a small chance of happening and they ARE attempting to fix the problem. For those that are scared of buying one until the problem is fixed, then don't buy one for a while. If I was concerned about being safe, I certainly would have never owned a two wheeler. I think that perhaps some are over thinking this issue. Personally, I do not "like" the single nut wheel retainer, but that's the sporty way they designed the cycle. It was inconvenient to have to purchase the socket and the torque wrench, but I did. I don't know a lot about the cycle yet, but I am learning a lot on this forum. I do know that I am going to enjoy lots of riding all year long here in Florida, and I am enjoying the process of personalizing my cycle. I guess the fact that I am getting older makes some issues less important on my worry list, since time gets shorter as you get older. No one lives forever, so enjoy the time you have left. But, if the wheel issue scares you, then don't buy a Ryker and if you have one, sell it. There are plenty out there that want one so you won't have trouble getting rid of it.

That said, does anyone else wonder a little if BRP is just grinding down a notch on the later manufactured wheel nuts and passing them on? I mean if they have checked them since the bad batch that came out, and finding out that there was just a bad batch mixed in, why not just mark the newer ones similar to putting a different serial number on the part? Just kind of wondering, not that it matters as long as the new ones are testing OK. Another question I have (since I am ignorant on the subject) is could the wheel nut be damaged/cracked by over torquing it? After all, who ever heard of tightening a nut to 220lbs, other than a high tension bolt on the iron structure of a large building construction job? Since some on here claim to be engineers, I thought I would throw that thought out there for the conversation.

At any rate, have fun and don't worry so much. Go out there and enjoy contributing to "global warming" and air pollution before they replace all our fun with batteries.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Switchback12 View Post
    I think Spyder owner are jealous since Ryker cost only 1/3 of RT and it is more fun to ride.
    Well that's a stretch! Don't think you will find any Spyder owner jealous of any Ryker.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Ryker wheel nuts

Question ….. are the NEW nuts ….Steel ???? …..thanks … Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Question ….. are the NEW nuts ….Steel ???? …..thanks … Mike
    No, aluminum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Switchback12 View Post
    Not. If I wanted to not shift gears, I would own a scooter.

Spyder Garage

Does a Spyder have a hand clutch and a foot shift? I thought the Spyder had a semi-automatic thumb shift? If so, are you REALLY comparing the Spyder shift to a motorcycle? Sorry, I really didn't want to get into the "which is better" debate. I just know that for my needs, I needed something that felt like a two wheeler, but without the hand clutch. My left hand requires two operations and a lot of therapy so my clutch days are likely behind me. My neighbor has a spyder and he enjoys it. He also has a two wheeler too. I have nothing against the Spyder. I just feel like I am in an open convertible car when I am on one. It does not feel like a motorcycle to me, but the Ryker does. That is JUST my opinion and I mean no offense and I will not disparage the Spyder. To be honest with you, I would rather have a reverse trike made by Harley if they would produce the one they have patented. But, for the price and for the fun, the Ryker beats the heck out of anything else that I can personally enjoy.
    Lets not get into the debate about the differences between the Spyder and the Ryker. They are both similar and both different.

Spyder Garage

MDLNB,

It’s great to hear that your Ryker works for you and that you are enjoying it, as that is what riding is all about.
    However, you really should do some research before making comments like your first couple of sentences if you want credibility. The Spyder comes in BOTH semi auto AND manual (for those who prefer a manual gear change which does indeed give it a two wheel motorcycle gear change.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
    Does a Spyder have a hand clutch and a foot shift? I thought the Spyder had a semi-automatic thumb shift? If so, are you REALLY comparing the Spyder shift to a motorcycle? Sorry, I really didn't want to get into the "which is better" debate. I just know that for my needs, I needed something that felt like a two wheeler, but without the hand clutch. My left hand requires two operations and a lot of therapy so my clutch days are likely behind me. My neighbor has a spyder and he enjoys it. He also has a two wheeler too. I have nothing against the Spyder. I just feel like I am in an open convertible car when I am on one. It does not feel like a motorcycle to me, but the Ryker does. That is JUST my opinion and I mean no offense and I will not disparage the Spyder. To be honest with you, I would rather have a reverse trike made by Harley if they would produce the one they have patented. But, for the price and for the fun, the Ryker beats the heck out of anything else that I can personally enjoy.
    Lets not get into the debate about the differences between the Spyder and the Ryker. They are both similar and both different.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    MDLNB,

It’s great to hear that your Ryker works for you and that you are enjoying it, as that is what riding is all about.
    However, you really should do some research before making comments like your first couple of sentences if you want credibility. The Spyder comes in BOTH semi auto AND manual (for those who prefer a manual gear change which does indeed give it a two wheel motorcycle gear change.

Pete
    ….. however that was pre-19, I don't think the newer RT's has a Manual trans. offered any longer ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Sounds like the old Corvair days
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ….. however that was pre-19, I don't think the newer RT's has a Manual trans. offered any longer ….. Mike
    Sure, Mike.......but that wasn’t what this particular discussion was about

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Cold weather must be settling in. We all are spending more time with our keyboards.