Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Another wheel fell off...

Met up with several Spyders and a Rhyker for a lunch. Rhyker is only a MONTH OLD, very few miles. Gassed up afterwards, and pulling out of the station the front right wheel just flew off and went flying down the road!! Lucky it wasn't at 75MPH on the interstate (earlier in the day). He said he just had it to the shop because it felt the right tire was wobbling when braking - they said it was nothing!! We looked all over for the nut - which was in one piece an hour earlier as I was walking around it checking it out. The rim was ground up bad. If you own a Rhyker and feel ANY little wobble PLEASE stop and get it to a dealer! Could literally save your life...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes...!!!

There is that issue and they should have replaced the nuts with new ones by now. Don't know if the new ones are available but they should have gotten notice of the situation. Glad it was not to bad don't even want to think about what could have been...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I would run as fast as I could away from that dealer. They should have known full well about the recall by now.

Hopefully there is another dealer that they can go to after this one fixes the damage.

Spyder Garage

It's really to bad they had to go threw this night mare but thank GOD no one was hurt!!! BRP has a big issue to take care of, if I was riding one of these bikes I would be flipping the hell out, and checking the wheel nuts every time I got off!! I know what your going to say, but this issues to new, and you don't know for sure that the nuts there replacing them with isn't the next ones in the box or a whole new, TESTED lot of nuts!! They ether have a quality problem, or design issue!! I was shocked, when some one told me the darn things where made out of aluminum, instead of steel! That's just my two cents in this issue and I would worry to much if I had to deal with it!! Good Luck my friends be safe with these BAD NUTS!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevencovert View Post
    Met up with several Spyders and a Rhyker for a lunch. Rhyker is only a MONTH OLD, very few miles. Gassed up afterwards, and pulling out of the station the front right wheel just flew off and went flying down the road!! Lucky it wasn't at 75MPH on the interstate (earlier in the day). He said he just had it to the shop because it felt the right tire was wobbling when braking - they said it was nothing!! We looked all over for the nut - which was in one piece an hour earlier as I was walking around it checking it out. The rim was grund up bad. If you own a Rhyker and feel ANY little wobble PLEASE stop and get it to a dealer! Could literally save your life...
    I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see the photo--millions of cars & bikes on the road--how hard could it be to secure wheel lug nuts. I could easily see a lawsuit if someone gets injured. Was the loose lug nuts caused by a dealer service ???
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think people need to be a little more proactive about the wheel nuts. I had the dealer change mine before I got the recall letter.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

My dealer actually came to my house to pick up my Ryker to change the wheel nuts. They called me while I am at work (I'm a truck driver) and said they would pick it up and return it to my house. Thank God for good dealerships.
    2019 Rally , Black with red panels

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevencovert View Post
    Met up with several Spyders and a Rhyker for a lunch. Rhyker is only a MONTH OLD, very few miles. Gassed up afterwards, and pulling out of the station the front right wheel just flew off and went flying down the road!! Lucky it wasn't at 75MPH on the interstate (earlier in the day). He said he just had it to the shop because it felt the right tire was wobbling when braking - they said it was nothing!! We looked all over for the nut - which was in one piece an hour earlier as I was walking around it checking it out. The rim was ground up bad. If you own a Rhyker and feel ANY little wobble PLEASE stop and get it to a dealer! Could literally save your life...
    OMG! As stated this is almost unbelievable. That dealer is not qualified to be servicing anything if they didn't know about the recall and sent it down the road! Now, I suppose there is the odd possibility that this unit didn't fall within the VIN range of affected vehicles, but, I seriously doubt it!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see the photo--millions of cars & bikes on the road--how hard could it be to secure wheel lug nuts. I could easily see a lawsuit if someone gets injured. Was the loose lug nuts caused by a dealer service ???
    The fronts are a single large nut similar to single-sided swingarm setup in the rear and have a spring ring retainer to boot! So the only way this could be a reality is if the nut actually splits apart which they are doing!

Quote Originally Posted by Zusafek View Post
    My dealer actually came to my house to pick up my Ryker to change the wheel nuts. They called me while I am at work (I'm a truck driver) and said they would pick it up and return it to my house. Thank God for good dealerships.
    Wow! This is a thing of the past these days.... I had 2 dealers that would do that when I had my Ducati, Triumph and Kawasaki rides....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Always check the work done at a dealership if at all possible. Just grabbing the tire at the top and pushing it back and forth would surely have revealed something very wrong, in this situation. People put too much faith in 'Professionals'. Professional just means you're getting paid. It doesn't always translate to expertise or quality of work.

This could have been much, much worse!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Doesn't matter.

See reply 75: Just received a recall notice from BRP/Can Am in reference to the Wheel Nuts on my 2019 Ryker Rally. Says that there is a problem with them cracking, but that it is safe to continue to ride that the safety pin (Red Pin) would prevent the Wheel from coming off.................

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...eel-Nuts/page3

Typical BRP quality, reliability & trustworthiness.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    It's really to bad they had to go threw this night mare but thank GOD no one was hurt!!! BRP has a big issue to take care of, if I was riding one of these bikes I would be flipping the hell out, and checking the wheel nuts every time I got off!! I know what your going to say, but this issues to new, and you don't know for sure that the nuts there replacing them with isn't the next ones in the box or a whole new, TESTED lot of nuts!! They ether have a quality problem, or design issue!! I was shocked, when some one told me the darn things where made out of aluminum, instead of steel! That's just my two cents in this issue and I would worry to much if I had to deal with it!! Good Luck my friends be safe with these BAD NUTS!!
    The new nuts are designed differently and could not have been mistaken with the old nuts so there's no possibility of putting more bad nuts on when replacing.

Spyder Garage

Why did BRP only put one nut on anyways. What was wrong with the three nuts on all the Spyders. Seems pretty stupid to me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    Why did BRP only put one nut on anyways. What was wrong with the three nuts on all the Spyders. Seems pretty stupid to me.
    Most times it is a "bean counter" thing... But sometimes it can actually be an improvement. A single nut alleviates uneven/improper torquing across multiple points with the 3 lug approach. It centralizes what little mass there is in that area and in this particular case, tho I'm not 100% sure on it, it reduces the parts needed (the front nuts could be the same one used for the rear?)..... Aside from the lesser cost of more lug nuts, it can also reduce the cost of the wheel as the manufacturing/casting becomes simpler... Plus it looks cooler IMHO! ;-)

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Yeah, it looks cooler until the wheel falls off.

Spyder Garage

Question Steel or aluminum axle nut????

Is this true???? I know some Aluminum alloys can exceed the strength of mild steel but lug nuts are not made from mild steel. Al is much easier to machine but material costs of 7xxx aluminum series is much higher. In my heart I think it must be steel.

Can someone with an F-3 see if the nut in question is steel or aluminum?????

Thanks
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

First time I heard about the recall was on HERE and I immediately called the service Dept at my dealer. They had not heard about it at that time, but looked it up and ordered the wheel nuts, telling me that they would call me when to come in. I received the call from them and had the wheel nuts changed before the letter got to me advising me of the recall. I had to really examine the nuts closely to see the difference. It might be easier to tell if they were not mounted but once they are on the cycle, it's hard to see the one little deviation from the rest of the nut. To be honest with you, my bike seems to ride a bit rougher than before I had the nuts replace, but (hopefully) that is just my imagination. I know that before I had the recall work done, I had added five pounds of air in the front tires and they seemed smoother. I wonder if they lowered the pressure when they did the wheel nuts.........

Spyder Garage

The wheel nuts are aluminum. I helped the tech change mine.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

The fix says the new nuts are solid and not extruded.

Spyder Garage

Probably the new nuts are machined from SOLID extruded bar stock like the Pre. 2/'19 nuts were. As I understood it, the nuts that were cracking were machined from HOLLOW extruded bar stock. This caused "cold shots" in the extrusions.
    They may be even using the same "dies" BUT machined out for more alum. stock for the extra material for the new nut identification area. <<money saver?
    Cold Shot: Small globule of metal embedded in but not entirely fused with the casting/extrusion.
    The extrusions are probably shaped on O.D. to a roughly shaped 12 point with extra stock for machining to size.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My thoughts on this issue are ….. Why are they even using Aluminum on Steel threads ????? ….. this makes no sense to me what-so-ever..... since I don't have a Ryker, how many threads are on that nut ????? …….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Not enuff obviously.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Now we are all getting on the right page!! Why Alum??? Some places you can loose weight some places you should just leave alone!!! This old welder thinks this is one of those times!!!!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I'm going to wait on blaming the failures on Aluminum. IF the newest batch of nuts crack then "Houston we have a REAL BIG problem". As it was explained, it was the manufacturing process. Going from solid bar stock to hollowed bar was a cost savings big bad idea ("price per lb"). IF the ones crack on my Rally which was manufactured 10/18, then I'll start whimpering. By the way there is actually only one thread on the nuts. Threading is about 14mm length and crown to crown (pitch) is about 1.5mm. The nuts spin on around 9 revolutions to tighten up.

Spyder Garage

BF95DD15-F53C-43B6-B309-FD5D891404F1.jpgEA298D05-3E53-42CE-B01B-184EF6B228BD.jpg
    Here are the old ones from my Rally. 9 threads inside.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

Now we are all getting on the right page!! Why Alum??? Some places you can loose weight some places you should just leave alone!!! This old welder thinks this is one of those times!!!!!!!
    I expect to see some aftermarket steel or titanium at some point.

Anyone know if the threaded axle itself is stainless? That would rule out using stainless nuts.