Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Spyder Garage

Let's let this thread get back on track. "Another wheel fell off" (Ryker lug nuts coming off, the proposed fix, etc.)

Recommend sticking to that topic in this thread.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I agree AND the fix is already taking place. New nuts are being sent out. Yes they are still Alum. If any old nuts, pre 2/19 or the new nuts start cracking THEN start complaining about the material used. I'll be right there with you guys complaining also. The problem was not the aluminum. It was the HOLLOW TUBING that had "cold shots" in it. Steel nuts could crack also if improperly heat treated. Too much porosity in cast iron.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamryder View Post
    I agree AND the fix is already taking place. New nuts are being sent out. Yes they are still Alum. If any old nuts, pre 2/19 or the new nuts start cracking THEN start complaining about the material used. I'll be right there with you guys complaining also. The problem was not the aluminum. It was the HOLLOW TUBING that had "cold shots" in it. Steel nuts could crack also if improperly heat treated. Too much porosity in cast iron.
    " Cast Iron nuts " …… Does anyone actually make them ?????, ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

I think I saw some on some old farm equipment, down in the hollows, way back in the '50s......ha!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KC61 View Post
    I visually inspect them and just today I checked the torque of all 3 wheels as well as the air pressure. That's what I mean by not just hopping on and riding. I guarantee you if the OP would have done a visual check of things before he took off this more than likely wouldn't have happened. These things always get blown out of proportion.
    We did a walk around after discussing the recall. I personally tugged on the clips, and tried to see if there was any wobble on either wheel - there was not. Based on the information in the recall about weak spots, they can give at any moment. That means unless you XRay the nut when checking to the best of your abilities you cannot possibly tell if there is a problem. Once the nut cracks, it cannot hold on the threads, it snaps the retainer clip and bye bye wheel.

Being that he just bought the bike new, he didn't think the nuts were the affected ones in the recall. However, with hindsight we did not check the build date. BRP is paying for all the repairs - A-Arm, front end tupperware, rim, brake system, etc. so apparently it is within the recall dates. Maybe sat a while at the dealership, no idea. Could be somehow the bad nuts were sitting around in the shop and a lazy tech slapped them on. Who knows.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KC61 View Post
    There are like 7 documented cases and the recall isn't a "Do Not Operate" the vehicle type of recall. No one knows what caused this guys wheel to fall off but it was supposedly just at the dealer. So draw your own conclusions. All I'm saying is this isn't some widespread issue and the internet does in fact blow it out of proportion.
    This is TRUE. Rhyker wobbled sometimes on take off, but hitting the brakes once cleared it. Took to the dealership TWO TIMES with this complaint, just 2 weeks before the recall came out. Cannot believe the dealers were not aware enough to replace nuts on caution, or at least try to sell him a set of new ones. He was riding with us for 2-3 hours that day, and we saw it happen. Just lucky it was on a slow street.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by poli View Post
    I'm not going to make any friends but I'm getting old and could care less. Reading all the threads and posts complaining about the Ryker BY PEOPLE WHO DON'T EVEN OWN ONE is really getting old!
    As long as Rhyker owners are quickly made aware by recall or hopefully by reading the forums and are at least informed. I *LOVE* the Rhyker! Fun as hell to be able to take off down a dirt road to see where it goes. But it is a safety issue. If the wheel came off at 75MPH - which the Rhyker was doing just 3 hours earlier - things could have been very different and a funeral being planned. My take is complain all you want, as long as you talk to every Rhyker owner you meet about this issue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Agreed, got my Rally as sort of a hooligan bike. It fits the role perfectly. Now I'm working on making it a short distance tourer. Had the nuts changed already, no big thing.
    Hooligan bike!! Love it. That's exactly what it is - Want to see whats down this trail? No problem! Wanna do burnouts and feel like a kid again? Hell yea! (you can afford tires now LOL)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Let's let this thread get back on track. "Another wheel fell off" (Ryker lug nuts coming off, the proposed fix, etc.)

Recommend sticking to that topic in this thread.
    Agreed! I am hoping to make more owners aware, and keep to local streets if your bike is in the recall dates. It scares the bejeesus outta you seeing it happen pulling out of a gas station, hate to think of highway speeds. The reports of poor material from vendor #2 makes sense, and I am happy that BRP is doing something about it. Granted the number of actual "wheels falling off" is low compared to the number of Rykers on the road (thank God!). The only thing I wonder about is there something that these few owners did to promote the stress on the nut somehow, maybe the dealer over torqued, etc. Is is purely random or something assist the failure? In my case there may have been many burnouts and aggressive driving - maybe
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-19-2019 at 09:50 AM.

Spyder Garage

Sorry, my mistake. The only ones that I have seen were the ones with a thumb shifter, so I assumed that they did not make them like a regular clutch and foot shift motorcycle. My bad.

Spyder Garage

Im finding the replacements are slow getting to dealers

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I got mine changed before I got the recall letter. I guess being proactive is faster.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White