Spyder Garage

Angry Unhappy with dealers service for no start

Had a problem starting, jumped battery then started OK. Battery wouldn't hold charge. So off to dealer to buy new battery. Installed new battery---no start. Gave up and called roadside assist for tow to Broward Motorsports. I have BEST 5 yr. extended so I figured any repair would be covered. 2015 Spyder RT LTD 23,000mi. Next day service called. Problem was fuse box had corrosion and blew 40 amp main fuse. $259 !!! not covered. Now am I crazy or is a motorcycle supposed to be waterproof!! Dealer service rep said I should keep it out of rain!!! I live in gated community with no garage but I do keep half cover on. Sorry for venting but I can't understand why it is not covered.
    Last edited by spyderherb; 11-05-2019 at 02:29 PM. Reason: fuse not breaker

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just as a generalization. Most of the time warranty doesn't cover "wear" items and a fuse would be considered a wear item I think. For $259 though they must have replaced the whole box? I bet humidity and salt air is more a factor in the corrosion than rain?

I live in VT and took a week long trip to the Maine coast line with my Ryker. When I returned home just a week along the coast had done a number to any bare metal parts (rotors, calipers, wheel hubs, etc). Took a while to get them cleaned up.

Spyder Garage

Default Wow...!!

I assume the dealer you towed it to was a second dealer. Generally a corroded fuse box would only not make good contact but not blow the fuse. I would be suspicious that the battery install was not done right and they blew the fuse. I would check the fuse box or see the old one if replaced.... they should be water tight but there were some failures to seal on some models...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

but with out seeing the victim cant be sure of it!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I assume the dealer you towed it to was a second dealer. Generally a corroded fuse box would only not make good contact but not blow the fuse. I would be suspicious that the battery install was not done right and they blew the fuse. I would check the fuse box or see the old one if replaced.... they should be water tight but there were some failures to seal on some models...
    ... something has a BAD Smell here ….. I dis-agree with Rob …. Fuse Box = " wear item ", In the past 65 years I have never heard of a Fuse box …. wearing out …… Mike

Spyder Garage

The fuse box was not even replaced---only cleaned!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was thinking the fuse was the wear item, not the whole box. They just cleaned the box.......sounds like this is a case of a dealer gouging the customer. I'd run from this dealer for sure.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ... something has a BAD Smell here ….. I dis-agree with Rob …. Fuse Box = " wear item ", In the past 65 years I have never heard of a Fuse box …. wearing out …… Mike
    I have to agree with Blueknight been in the auto trade for over 40 years never heard of a fuse box or fuses wearing out.It should be covered by the BEST warrenty
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There was a factory recall a few years ago to modify/replace the fuse boxes because they leaked water. Maybe this is a similar problem. Or is this a case where the cover was not properly installed? But you're right, the fuse box should not be leaking water. The dealer should have looked harder for the cause.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Smear dielectric grease around the fuse box seal to keep water out of there and make it easier to slip into the groove. Good idea to smear it on all terminals from to battery, starter, alternator and all the ground connections. An ounce of prevention is worth $249.00 .This comes from experience working on F__king Jeeps since 1985. and wiring motorhomes, campers and ambulances since 1970. Murphy is a sneaky patient Rat Bastard.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black