• GPS

30 30.30%
  • Phone Apps

22 22.22%
  • All of the above

26 26.26%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I have been a fan of GPS since my first Delorme GPS serial port dongle attached to a laptop almost 30 years ago. I still miss the detail of the old Delorme topos, but really like the Google Maps overviews and linked lodging/restaurant info. Yes my Garmin can lead me astray but it also provides very nice lane change and exit info and will remain my Navigator to keep me informed.

I never met a map I didn't like, but also love the discovery or the road less traveled- I only select "quickest" routes over "shortest" occasionally as need arises and much prefer the "use less fuel" optional routes - the Blue Highways!
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I use MyRouteApp to plan the overall trip. It allows me to select specific directions for roads and attractions I’ve deemed as important. I can create the maps in multiple formats, I.e., Google Maps, Garmin, and use satellite or hybrid views to check for gravel roads or whatever. Once finished I save it in Garmin format, load it onto the Zumo and listen to directions through Bluetooth. I deviate often from the planned route as conditions or interesting sights or sites present themselves at an actual location. Then use the GPS to put me back on course quickly. I’ve used the app for short rides to ones of 10K miles. I am able to sync the GPS to the mobile app as well.
    So, it’s, GPS, phone and maps for me.
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Google maps.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    sorry easily confused, but thought Spyderfest ended in 2018 in Springfield &Bolivar MO. & Spyders in the Ozarks is in Cuba MO separate events correct? Don’t want you planning a trip for something not there. still visit your brother by all means, maybe time it out with a TX Spyder event.
    I so often forget after I post to check back and read or see if there were any comments to what I spoke about and sure enough this time there is! (Thank you!) An interested but confused Spyderlover who joined post Spyderfest@1, #2 and #3 that I was talking or referring to in my original post.

Yes it all began in Cuba. Here is a short trailer of the event back in April 2012. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...quot-trailer-1

Spyders in the Ozarks is that what they ended up naming it. Yes it held the first 3 or 4 Spyderfests. I made it once to Springfield, but the weather was ferocious and uncooperative. So I chose different venues other times of the year.

Should have been more explicit in my original post that I was using this example as it was my farthest trip I have needed to plan. Was trying to give the thought process involved with my planing taking into account fuel mileage, rider durability/bathroom breaks and where to spend the night.

I am proof reading my post and I see someone that attended Spyderfest #4, as we were neighbors at a very cool famous motel. Spyderlovers to friendscreek, awesome guy!

fullsizeoutput_898.jpg

Yes will always visit my brother. He is a Los Angeles Rams season ticket holder so he comes out often to watch the games in LA.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TicketBait; 11-08-2019 at 12:38 PM. Reason: goofed, deleted wrong photo, replaced with another

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chasinsparks View Post
    Google maps allows you to download the route (offline map). Basically you have to plan your route and download it while you have service. If you end up in a dead zone you can still use the step by step guidance

Check out this information: https://support.google.com/maps/answ...rm%3DiOS&hl=en
    Thanks Mate.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I prefer a dedicated Navigation device (GPS)

I don't know if all smart phones are like this (Mines a Samsung Galaxy S9 + Wifes is a iPhone 8) but when we've traveled to some remote areas we lose navigation. I know phone towers here in the Land Down Under transmit their position (could be normal), and some devices use that to calc position, so if there's no signal due to no towers being "contactable", we lose navigation.

I do wish GPS manufacturers like Garmin would just snuggle up to Google and run Android so that we could add some awesome apps to my 595
    Last edited by askitee; 11-07-2019 at 12:59 AM. Reason: New idead
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

I use google maps for both pre trip planning, and navigation. The phone fits well in the OEM tank bag on the Ryker

Spyder Garage

I use Waze for directions, and I use Rever for tracking my rydes.
    2016 RTL "Boris"

Foam Grips
    Utopia Backrest
    BRP Passenger armrests
    Bajaron sway bar
    LED Bumpskid w/remote
    Belt guard
    BRT rear lighting w/strobe
    High mount BRT w/strobe
    Dual a-arm LEDs w/turn signals
    Multicolor underground Halo lighting
    LED headlights and foglights
    FOBO TPMS
    Techgripper phone holder
    Lidlox
    Dual USB with voltmeter
    Dakota Digital Compass/Clock/Altimeter/Temperature Gauge
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 175/55R15 - Fronts
    General Altimax RT43 215/60R15 - Rear

Spyder Garage

Gps all the time while riding. But, we decide where we want to be next day and book the accommodation on the phone. Normally the booking program will give the destination on a map down to street level. I zoom in on that area on the GPS and, often the accommodation is actually known to the map database, I mark that as the destination. Then zoom out on the map and look where we would like to go while travelling to the destination, pick the points one by one on the map screen as waypoints and then get the GPS to calculate the route. A final check of the route ensures we're not going through farm yards or the like - labelled by us as 'scenic diversions' - if all is fine tell the gps to start the route. Switch off the GPS and next morning when it starts up it resumes the route. There is a GPS must though...you need a GPS which doesn't drop out the more minor roads when you zoom out. The Garmin 595 series does this, as do many of the Garmin navigators, so it's very tricky to find your suitable waypoints without zooming in, by which time you lose the overall vision of where you want to be on the map. If you're a 595 person, use google maps to pick your waypoints to aid finding them on the GPS screen. Not so good but do-able.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

I use an automotive Garmin, along with a $15 (now $19) waterproof case from Amazon. Not concerned about elements or theft factor, as new/non current LM Garmins can be had for cheap but cell phones not so much.
    https://www.amazon.com/ChargerCity-R...s%2C215&sr=8-6

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use "All of the Above".

* Maps for general planning before the ride: easy to see 'big picture'.
    * Use computer and on-line sources (Garmin Base Camp, Google Maps & Harley-Davidson Ride Planner) for scouting and pre-trip planning, including detailed routes to transfer into my Garmin 660.
    * Use phone app (Google Maps) before trip, and in the evenings, to check on things to do and see.
    * Dedicated GPS (Garmin 660's) while on the road. I've been using my one of my 660's since 2010. Waterproof. MP3 player. We go places where we often lose cell service (Verizon towers - think of the white spaces on their service maps). Sometimes I plan detailed routes; sometimes just a destination; sometimes it serves as a map to scan and alter route based on what pops up. I always ride with the scale set at 0.2 miles to judge corners and road intersections, especially on 'spirited' rides.

We have a 2018 F3 Ltd that came with BRP Connect: absolutely have no faith in that system. I put countless hours into trying to get the system to work during the first year and it is absolutely unreliable. Installed a Garmin GPS cradle; linked Garmin to Sena 30K and Samsung Note 8 to headset. Not perfect but way more reliable.

Wayne
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    I so often forget after I post to check back and read or see if there were any comments to what I spoke about and sure enough this time there is! (Thank you!) An interested but confused Spyderlover who joined post Spyderfest@1, #2 and #3 that I was talking or referring to in my original post.

Yes it all began in Cuba. Here is a short trailer of the event back in April 2012. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...quot-trailer-1

Spyders in the Ozarks is that what they ended up naming it. Yes it held the first 3 or 4 Spyderfests. I made it once to Springfield, but the weather was ferocious and uncooperative. So I chose different venues other times of the year.

Should have been more explicit in my original post that I was using this example as it was my farthest trip I have needed to plan. Was trying to give the thought process involved with my planing taking into account fuel mileage, rider durability/bathroom breaks and where to spend the night.

I am proof reading my post and I see someone that attended Spyderfest #4, as we were neighbors at a very cool famous motel. Spyderlovers to friendscreek, awesome guy!

fullsizeoutput_898.jpg

Yes will always visit my brother. He is a Los Angeles Rams season ticket holder so he comes out often to watch the games in LA.
    We have also met up with tofriendscreek since moving to AR. awesome guy.

I am also noting that as a "map" user, I am now in the lowest % group. 21% as I post. I did sell my canoe country navigation compass when I was in AK though.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-15-2019 at 11:26 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Phone apps and Paper maps to keep the apps honest.

I usually just use the app to find my destination.
    2018 Can Am Spyder F3L, 1995 BMW R1100R, 1988 Suzuki GS250, 2019 Ryker 600 (Wife's)

Spyder Garage

phone apps

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    I'm old school still using paper maps. I'll do my best to memorize my routes and stop from time to time to get back on track because I know my memory will not be sufficient. We do keep the GPS handy in the event we are totally lost but that is a last ditch choice.
    If my day's journey includes more than 2 roads, I write the route number and an arrow to indicate turn direction on blue painter's tape. Stick the tape to the top of the tank and I won't get lost (at least not today).