Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Hands going numb some... Ideas why? Any fixes?

Hello all, question for everyone out there. I have a Spyder F3 Base and the wife has a Ryker 900. We added the leather like foam grips in hopes that it will help, which it has helped some but her hands especially and mine after some time will go numb. Is that generally because the bars need raised or further out position wise? What should I try to combat this?

Thanks to everyone.

Zune
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-04-2024 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)
    2022 Spyder F3 Base - Just as Fun!
    2022 F3 Base , Gloss Black

Spyder Garage

Mine did that also on the right hand, I added a throttle lock so I could have a lighter grip on my right hand. It helped a little.
    2021 900 Ace , Black & Gold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zune View Post
    Hello all, question for everyone out there. I have a Spyder F3 Bas and the wife has a Ryker 900. We added the leather like foam grips in hopes that it will help, which it has helped some but her hands especially and mine after some time will go numb. Is that generally because the bars need raised or further out position wise? What should I try to combat this?

Thanks to everyone.

Zune
    While possible that you could use a bar location change. It is also quite possible that you are gripping the bars too tightly. You don't say if this is your first motorcycle experience. Or if you have been riding other bikes without this issue. But pay close attention to how tightly you are gripping the bars. A loose grip is what is needed. Otherwise, you will have hand issues including the one you describe.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Sit on your Spyder or Ryker with your eyes closed. Reach our with your hands to a comfortable spot, open your eyes and see where your hands are in relation to your bars. That is the bar you need to get. When see that position, try moving your bars there. If they wont go there you will need to get something to move the bars or new ones that will work.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    While possible that you could use a bar location change. It is also quite possible that you are gripping the bars too tightly. You don't say if this is your first motorcycle experience. Or if you have been riding other bikes without this issue. But pay close attention to how tightly you are gripping the bars. A loose grip is what is needed. Otherwise, you will have hand issues including the one you describe.
    Thank you for the reply, Yea I am always correcting my hand grip. Especially on non curvy roadways. A lot of times I am holding the throttle hand with the two fingers and thumb to roll the throttle. But after some time numbness settles in. I thought I might need to adjust the bars one way or another. The wife claims both her hands go numb. I have told her before about a light grip. I use to ride a Vulcan 900. about the same outcome on numbness though. So I don't know really.
    2022 Spyder F3 Base - Just as Fun!
    2022 F3 Base , Gloss Black

Spyder Garage

I don't have an answer for you, but I can add to the confusion. When I was dealing with that issue I found my problem was farther up in my shoulders and neck. Changed the bars a bit on my two wheelers and learned to relax the neck and shoulders more on my Spyder. It helped a good bit.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Might be vibration through the bars. Try some bar end weights, might help.
    If it was just the Ryker, I would try a steering damper.

Spyder Garage

No one solution & varies per rider. Informative article:
    https://www.olympiagloves.com/25-tip...oves-and-more/

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Foam grip covers might work better than leather-like ones. Every motorcycle that I have owned in the last 20 years or so benefited from the addition of inexpensive foam grip covers. And depending on the size of your hands, if the grip feels skinny I think you are more likely to grip more firmly and then suffer the numb feeling. I added Rivco handlebar risers on my 2021 RT, as well as foam grip covers and find this works very well for me.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    I don't have an answer for you, but I can add to the confusion. When I was dealing with that issue I found my problem was farther up in my shoulders and neck. Changed the bars a bit on my two wheelers and learned to relax the neck and shoulders more on my Spyder. It helped a good bit.
    My wife had fingers going dumb and they have it mapped out in your neck which finger nerves come out between which vertebrae.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

I agree with Vito; foam grips are a very inexpensive and expendable trial solution. I added them very early on, not because of any cramping but because of the size of my hands the OEM grips were way too small. Pegasus1300's suggestion is very appropriate and is one I have found spot on for both bicycling and motorcycling.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

My issues of dead hands was totally eliminated after I tried all sorts of gadgets and grips that did not work.
    I had carpal tunnel in both wrists. After surgeries it went away completely.
    It only takes a few hours in, and out, and for me 10 days for the sutures to heal, and I was back on the road.
    That was 15 years ago
    Happy, happy.
    just sayin...
    2023 Sea2Sky

Spyder Garage

You and your wife mat also be riding with your wrists in a dorsaflex position (wrist flexed upward) this places pressure on the radial nerve and will cause numbness.
    Try positioning the handlebars and/or hands so that your wrist is in a more straight position and see if this helps.
    2017 F3-T SM6, Intense Pearl Red, SpyderPops Run/Turn/Brake, Baja Ron Sway Bar and Skid Plate, 21 Inch Tinted F4, Signature Light, Tricled LED Headlights Yokohoma S-Drive, Ultimate Tall Boy.

Spyder Garage

Me too Texas Al

Spyder Garage

I have the "leather like" grips on my RT. They seem to be the same size as the foam grips. I've had both and like the "leather like" grips because of looks. Good luck with your problems hope you find the magic answer. By the way what part of South Carolina are you from?
    2011 Can AM RT-S SE5 Red

Spyder Garage

+1 on the Foam grip covers AND how to check your individual most comfortable handlebar position as mentioned above. My 2013 RTL required a very small handlebar change and I was able to complete several IronButt 1000 mile plus rides. Before that I could barely stand 300 mile rides.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I run cruise control whenever I can and just rest my hands on the top of the handlebars.

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The first mod I did to my 2022 F3 base was to rotate the bars downward so my hands are straighter.
    The second mod was to pick up a throttle lock on Amazon. They sell a Chinese copy of the Atlas throttle lock. Since I wasn't sure it would work, I didn't want to spend $160 on the Atlas. The Amazon version was just as good with the exception of the little piece that provides the friction -=- so I bought the Atlas version of those on-line. Been using it now for a few months and 2000 miles -- it works similarly to the Universal Throttle lock I used for years on two-wheelers. I keep the tension enough to provide an easier ride for my arthritic hands. After another 4-5000 miles I'll see how it is working and decide whether to keep it or just get the F3S tru cruise control.

2022 F3 Base
    Kawa Z900 - 72k
    NInja 650 80K
    2008 SM5 - 42k

Spyder Garage

me too. Had surgery on both wrists many years ago. Haven't had any issue with it since.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

I have always used these Crampbusters on longer trips. I find it easier to keep a lighter grip on the bars. I'm also able to rest my hands whether the cruise control is on or not... I have them for both sides. They can be rotated out of the way when I don't need them at the moment. They come off and on easily. When I take them off (city driving) I put them in the glove box.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-07-2024 at 07:01 AM.
    RiderDuke

My Ride
    2021 Glacial Blue Metallic F3-T

Spyder Garage

Adaptive CC like my F150 has shure would be nice. Up and down on the CC button with my right thumb does the adaptive function for now.
    Last edited by Snoking1127; 04-07-2024 at 07:29 AM.

Spyder Garage

adaptive cruise is one of the greatest features on the newer cars. I use it all the time. On our Subaru it uses the brakes. If you want it to it will even bring you to a complete stop if the car in front of you stops.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Here's a good explanation of what would cause the numbness and how to possible fix it.

https://youtu.be/hLz98BpmesU
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Have your spinal cord checked by a good back doctor. Mine is screwed up from a race car crash at Laguna Seca years ago. I'm 79, and the best solution I've found is cruise control. Had it on all my BMWs and now on my F3S.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rjinaz86323 View Post
    adaptive cruise is one of the greatest features on the newer cars. I use it all the time. On our Subaru it uses the brakes. If you want it to it will even bring you to a complete stop if the car in front of you stops.
    My 2021 F150 is stop and go, ACC. If you sit to long then you have to push resume for the truck to take off again. A steer wheel button to select 1 or 4 vehicle spacings.